Daily reminder geology isn't a real science

Other urls found in this thread:

bootupcorner.blogspot.com/2016/04/ar-augmented-reality-tutorial-using.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Have you heard of fiducial markers? That looks like a fiducial marker that I was using to play with some of Qualcomms free software tech.

I know what a ruler is

You are a knowledgeable person.

I guess my rocks were different than your rocks. My rocks responded to the Vuforia AR software.

Geology is a meme. With geographical fiducial markers you have your work cut out for you. Your profession is redundant

But oil companies and money.

>money
You just said your software was free. Why would oil companies pay a geologist when they have software that can do the same job better and faster?

Oh, damn! That is indeed a fiducial marker. Haha. Wow. That's a cool coincidence,

bootupcorner.blogspot.com/2016/04/ar-augmented-reality-tutorial-using.html

What kind of messages are you trying to communicate to us?

>You just said your software was free. Why would oil companies pay a geologist when they have software that can do the same job better and faster?

I am not a geologist, but, if I were, I would try to work for oil companies for lots and lots of money.

>What kind of messages are you trying to communicate to us?
I already stated this in my original post. you have an augmented reality software, good for you. But why are you arguing with me if you aren't a geologist?

And you're saying this why?

takes literally no skills to look at pebbles. Any idiot can look at something and write what they see.

Geology has many different uses, why narrow it down to such a stupid view?

>identifying rocks.pdf

Hope you like being a labrat/ office slave. You better hurry and file more grants to get denied user! Hurry up and work harder for mr. Sheckelstien. Only 3 more post docs and you might be an assistant professor!!!

Meanwhile I'm kickin it having a great time doing jack shit and being /out/ while making above an engineering salary sitting on my ass

Good luck catching up on your endless amount of papers!
Btw kill yourself namefag

>Geology has many different uses, why narrow it down to such a stupid view?

No :(... Don't talk to b8...

>t. triggered unemployed geologist that lost his job to a machine

And what is your profession Mr. Kyoma?

Geologists cannot set up controlled experiments that can be repeated to test their theories: we are given one Earth, and the geological processes that happen on its surface as well as in the underground are mostly out of our control. We are almost always limited just to witness them. Of course, what geologists actually do is much more than witness passively.

You could tell them more, Kyoma.

I am a mad scientist so cool sunafavitch.

Also, it's Dr. Kyoma, I have a PhD in mad science.

That's why geologists have the same unemployment rate as engineers (and make more), right? Check out bureau of labor statistics data nigger

And it's not a machine job either fool ass it's just stamp collecting fun facts about earth shit + some mechanics and chem

I'm sure you'll actually contribute something to the world / enjoy your 80 hour work weeks as someone who fell for the STEM "make an impact" meme

basically if you aren't a physicist or a theoretical mathematician you are subhuman trash

>it's just stamp collecting fun facts about earth shit + some mechanics and chem
Proving my point. Anyone can do your job. Enjoy getting fired and some third-worlder taking your job since your boss doesn't have to pay him as much
What this guy said. Theoretical physicist master race

Basunga, Shledder.

I've just been playing devils advocate this whole time lol I'm in physics
But it pisses me off to see these guys I know who went on to live ezpz /comfy/ nature life while I'm getting overworked as fuck in comparison (and physicists are highly underpaid of course)

I mean shit I could've just read the damn books independently and gotten a job that doesn't suck my life away but instead get to travel the world and explore nature like god damnit they don't even have to do any real work or learning lol

Physics as an interest for sure but as a job? Damn this shit is cut throat as fuck
(and perpetually fluorescent)

P.S. you think physics is immune from this? My university is full of Indian and Chinese professors. It's not an Americans Only Club. Same shit could happen to us

sees like this isn't the job for you. Go look for something else. Maybe a biologist since you're so hung up on the "nature" aspect of the job. And it's more respectable than a geologist

Where do you work?

So, I'm a geologist. Other than a silly TV show can you explain why geology is not a real science?

post doc at a meme university

But I'm speaking of the field as a whole
No one gives a flying fuck about theoretical and applied physics is just being some corporation's bitch in an office / lab

Academia is supreme cuckolding

Fuck respect I'm in it for the gains
Biology is 100% memorization and a fast track ticket to unemployment.
A field geologist on the other hand just backpacks and camps like a bum and gets paid disproportionately to not do shit in comparison (my impression at least)

haven't you read the rest of the thread? I already laid out my arguments there
Sadly this is the case. The pursuit of science shouldn't be impeded by internal politics. Thought this is part of a larger problem that plagues our current society

What about lab work and field work and shit lol

Nothing in here states that geology is not a science

If this whole thread isn't shitpost bait, I don't know what else would qualify.

You are paid to look at rocks.

For clarification (sage post sorry for follow ups) physics is nature which is why I like it but I'm questioning as to why I'm spending my life day to day in the same location toiling away with this shit

And how does one go about switching fields like that? God knows I refuse to degrade myself taking freshman level classes with a bunch of fags and pissing away $30k+ on a BS. Not to mention the years off my life
Can I just apply to a masters program and pass qualifying exams instead?

Physics isn't all bad but I'm pissed that I feel I could've picked a better career and just learned this shit on the side. I'm too far deep in this to escape

and?

Then pick a trade. You won't have to go to uni and rack up debt and I assume it won't take years off your life. This is beyond my expertise but I heard /pol/ is a big proponent for getting into a trade. Ask them

I actually have to use my brain and do research

This is what I'm saying: it shouldn't be like this. If physicists weren't so cucked by le economy and were actually compensated properly then it'd be no question, I'd be a physicist. But why should I subject myself to shit working conditions for "the greater good" when they are all leeches anyway? And don't say "pursuit of knowledge" because independent study is possible unless you're a brainlet

Na trade is manual ass labor fuck that blue collar shit
Plus I'd like to stay in something technical
What I'm getting at is business / geologists / other fields get compensated with a far better work:pay ratio (without having to be blue collar)

Ok? I'm currently doing research on stream discharge rating curves. What's your point?

I hear finance is like that.

This is obv a thinly veiled geology thread disguised as bait

Any good texts on Geology?

Honestly I started out trolling but this is an alright thread now

Sounds like you don't care about science at all. If you want to make the big bucks, should have gone for economics or become a doctor.
My point is that you don't use the scientific method. You don't make a hypothesis, test it with an experiment and come to a conclusion. You only do passive observation and reading.

Alright, my central issue is this:
I am incredibly amused by science, to say the least. I'd go so far as to say it's my #1 passion. However, like most people, I do not like being overworked and value my leisure time.

So I have two ideal options:
Become a scientist and push boundaries, but completely fuck any notion of an "easy" life

Or get some fuck off job where I can sit on my ass and be lazy (apply myself to some extent here so I can not be broke) and vacation, hang out, etc. and in all that leisure time learn science. The only disadvantage would be that o couldn't participate in science's advancement, but I could at least keep up-to-date

I've since restricted myself to the first option but perhaps am experiencing "the grass is greener..." Syndrome

good time-managment can do wonders user. And if you really feel you have so little time I would suggest you stop posting on Veeky Forums. You could fill the time you spend here with the other activities you mentioned earlier

I'm not all that familiar with what geologists do but I know they need working knowledge of many fields like stratigraphy, chemistry, hydrology etc. Furthermore, not all geologists are doing research to advance the field of geology. I would say more often a geologist would work to help with a project or consult a company or something.

Yeah but I wouldn't need to autistically manage time if I only worked 40 hours a week..
Veeky Forums is accessible for quick breaks but vacation time is scarce

You always have the second option. maybe science should be your hobby while you get a job that gives you enough leisure time to spend with your loved ones and take vacations

>geologists don't use the scientific method

Maybe, my problem is that I find business painstakingly boring and so I'd like to transfer to a STEM field which had less a gruesome employment sector

Unfortunately, as I stated above, I'd need a BSc and it's just not worth it for me at this point so I may as well stick with physics. Just fucked up earlier I feel

Haven't been able to get a straight answer from anyone about skipping BSc and going straight to MSc in an unrelated field

Anyone know if it's possible to pass qualifying exams to start a masters without a bachelor's in the same or similar subject?

You would have to have lots of work experience (and references) in the field you're trying to get into.

So I'm basically forced to get cucked into paying for undergrad again, working manual labor, or staying where I'm at

SHEEEEIT

>theoretical
>calling anything else a non science

Maybe you could fast track another undergrad.

I bet you're an engineer

Have you looked into what you'd need to do to enter a postgrad geophysics course? Send some emails out, you have nothing to lose.

I'm not sure of the specific requirements because I'm geochem master race, but I know pure chem guys who changed to geochem as well.

>tfw theoretical physicist
>tfw to intelligent for the scientific method

Yeah I've looked into it a bit. The problem is I'm lacking in geology courses

Additionally, if I were to go into geology I'd shoot for geochem masterrace as while I enjoy physics I don't give a flying duck about earthquakes or geophys in general

Stay salty. We all know that engineers are the ones who do the grunt work while theoretical physicists are the minds behind the projects

>le kardashians of science
>le oompa loompas of science

BAZINGA xD

Have you considered a graduate diploma?

Its not a meme. Every engineer who I've worked with was a cunt to everyone on the team. They seem to have a weird chip on their shoulder

i've actually never heard of this; a quick google says that in the US it's about the level between a masters and phd

(it's because they're overworked doing menial labor)

Ah in Australia they're normally done after a bachelors and people sometimes use them to change direction.

Good luck with it though

maybe they shouldn't be engineers then. I have to handle a very strict schedule and I'm not being an asshole to everyone who crosses my path

why are you so mean engineer-user :(