Why do mathematicians sound so autistic?

>research interests started with logic and the theory of surreal numbers, while he was still in high school.[6]

>He is best known for his work, starting with his thesis, on infinity-categories and derived algebraic geometry. Derived algebraic geometry is a way of infusing homotopical methods into algebraic geometry, with two purposes: deeper insight into algebraic geometry (e.g. into intersection theory) and the use of methods of algebraic geometry in stable homotopy theory. The latter area is the topic of Lurie's work on elliptic cohomology. Infinity categories (in the form of Joyal's quasi-categories) are a convenient framework to do homotopy theory in abstract settings. They are the main topic of his book Higher Topos Theory.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KE9m6Bu0RGI
youtube.com/watch?v=ZMG3hS4udvs
youtube.com/watch?v=vQKWgKV6t-Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think it looks kinda cool with those specific Math words desu.

Also you can look less autistic in Math if you're into Mathematical Finance, Mathematical Physics and Mathematical Biology desu.
But not gonna lie, "Pure" Math sounds autistic yet it doesn't look like it once you call it "Theoretical Math".

I seriously wonder what's the most and the least autistic science though
>inb4 all of them

I think they make up words to sound "cool".

Also could be that, but oh boy, they can do lots of good shit like working with our computers, building and studying things, work with big corps, etc.

And Math is quite interesting if you read more of them though, read about the Collatz conjecture for example.

>collatz conjecture
>interesting

k

>infinity-categories
>homotopical methods
>intersection theory
>stable homotopy theory
>elliptic cohomology
>Infinity categories
>Joyal's quasi-categories
>homotopy theory
>Higher Topos Theory.

Literally try-hard

Because they are austistic

Lurie is probably a bad example of this, Too much abstract nonsense. IMHO his greatest acheivement was probably that perfect score on the IMO.

What's up with the abstract nonsense? Why waste your time on going that deep in it?

>mfw I actually sort of understand what that all means
Fuck. I saw so much math, but never saw a female naked. fml

I dunno, generalizations of generalizations, theorems about theorems, and math about math never appealed to me. At that point you can no longer feasibly claim that mathematics possesses any universal qualities, as you are essentially just making things up, there is absolutely no tie in with anything real. atleast in geometry, and analysis, there are (or were) important questions at stake, questions which people other than masturbatory 'pure mathematicians' cared about.

It's funny because Lurie looks like he could be a massive Chad, but then he's pretty autistic.
Similarly with Tao. He looks normal enough, but despite his fame, when he speaks he allmost sounds like he's spilling Spaghetti on purpose

Category theorist seem to claim to go higher than logic, as your logical systems can themselves be though of as "objects", but what is the real difference between some metamathematics (such as seeing the strength one needs to prove systems of mathematics, i.e., logic) and category theory that is making generalizations about mathematics?

I get what you're saying, generalizing generalizations and just making stuff up. Wonder if they intentionally choose these names to sound "cool", e.g., the name 'Tropical Geometry'.

Lurie and witten are pretty bad, both sound like faggots, but I must say, Saul Kripke is easily the worst sounding, the most autistic man ever to hold a professorship.

youtube.com/watch?v=KE9m6Bu0RGI

he starts speaking around 4:30

Attractive people doing math isn't unheard of. Here is a Combinatorist.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZMG3hS4udvs

>go one step higher

I never liked this kind of justification for doing things. Maybe there are theories just like category theory, in the sense that they generalize classes of mathematical objects, but in a non categorical fashion, maybe there are multitudes of such theories. We could then develop a theory in which these theories are the objects, and we've gone one step higher.

This ultimately illustrates my concern, if you were really clever, you could fill in the details and make it work, stacking generalizations on top of generalizations in a never ending race to over-generalize.

We need the generality of logic in a sense, so that we can get to peano arithmetic and eventually to rigorous analysis.

A tower of babel of generalizations, which is where certain parts of mathematics are headed, is not servicing anything other than its own vanity and narcissism.

Agreed. Well said.

>atleast in geometry

Some things in geometry can only be properly expressed via category theory.

maybe there are, but category theory is still more or less dispensable in geometry, it is not the linchpin on any major result I know of.

What the FUCK.

How is it even possible that someone like this is anywhere except a mental hospital? Just because he's saying things that sound profound?

>but category theory is still more or less dispensable in geometry

A big part of modern algebraic geometry is the study of moduli problems. A moduli space is essentially space whose points are isomorphism classes of some type of object (for instance a moduli space of elliptic curves).

The naive idea would be to take the set of such objects and quotient by isomorphism. Sometimes this carries a geometric structure (structure of scheme/manifold), but most of the time it doesn't.

In order to make geometric sense of such spaces we need something more than set theory, we need category theory.

Virgins.

>see "Lurie" being namedropped here
>google it
>the guy is pretty handsome
Feels good to know that there are good-looking people out there with too little social skills to use their looks at their favor.

I'll have to defer to you on modern algebraic geometry, specifically with respect to the "geometries" of "fictional spaces", When I mentioned geometry I was speaking more of synthetic geometry, classical differential geometry, and its riemannian extensions, sure commutative diagrams occasionally occur here, but little else.

Reminded me of this guy youtube.com/watch?v=vQKWgKV6t-Q

maybe I should clarify with a simple example

you can take [math] L^{2} [/math] with its standard norm and then produce notions of length and angle in the usual fashion and you have a notion of geometry for the 'fictional space', but that is just a ghost of a geometry, as we have just extrapolated from a space where we have physical intuition to a space where we don't.

certainly still worth studying, but I wouldn't count it as 'primary' geometry.

Category theory does come into place in Diff. Geometry too on occasion.

For instance, Fukaya categories of Kahler manifolds.

They are important for a few things, but the most significant probably being Mirror Symmetry.

Mirror Symmetry was initially a physical result that had no pure math analog, but it was later rigorously expressed as an equivalence of fukaya categories and derived categories.

eh, I think you're missing the point.

I don't think so. Certain things in geometry just cannot be studied without category theory.

I think the Mirror Symmetry example is a good one. It may be a very non-standard type of geometry, hence why it was discovered via physics, but it is none the less a very real geometric symmetry fundamental to certain types of manifolds.

>applied math combinatorist
>pure math autists

pcik one

How do I become more like this guy? It seems like he has taken the ultimate redpill. I don't know what he's going on about, but he sounds very enlightened.

get vaccinated

>Attractive
She's literally average.

If kid Tao had decided to exercise in his youth a little, instead of solving equations 18 hours a day, he would've been kpop tier

>tfw you are currently reading an ODE book

>tfw you realize you are literally reading a children's book

Brainlets, get out.

bump

Math is just a really jargon heavy field. You can make physics sound cool by relating it to everyday experiences but when you're talking about abstract structures that can't really be observed and can only be reasoned about there's some communication barriers. Every little idea has to have an unambiguous definition, and to create those definitions you have to make use of a bunch of other unambiguous definitions and clear terminology, so explaining even a basic theorem to someone is basically giving a lesson in a foreign language.