What are your classes grading structure?

Usually my courses are something like
30% Midterms (15% each)
25% final
40% homework
5% Attendance or some fudge factor

Sometimes in classes like Real Analysis professor gives 4 questions on exams, no partial credit unless proof is at least 90-95% correct. If you miss one question you can no longer score higher than a 75% & they mark points off for not writing a 'for all' or 'there exist' (even when it is implicit) or some other trivial statement.

bump

I don't understand what your point is. Yeah, something like that. No attendance points, 1 more exam and 15-20% less on hw.

>even when it is implicit
>he thinks anything is implicit in math
mathematics is 2% deep insight 98% autistic nitpicking

m * n = n * m for reals number m,n

You don't need to say For all m in R(For all n in R(m*n = n*n))

Counting off for shit like that is retarded.

typo but you get the point, not waiting 5 minutes to delete post and repost with corrections.

100% from 2.5 hour exam at the end of term.
4 questions, answer all questions.
The Dean has to sign off any papers that get over 90% as that should be the maximum attainable mark

>25% final
>40% homework
what the fuck?

What fucking class is this

40% homework
60% Project

>You don't need to say For all m in R(For all n in R(m*n = n*n))
Why not? You need to say it in other cases. You would certainly need to specify what pairs you're talking about if it were m/n or m-n or or any other virtually infinite number of operations. How do you decide what's trivial enough to warrant an exception and what isn't?

You aren't allowed to be vague just because you expect that the person reading it ought to be able to figure out what you meant.

Context. You don't need to go FOL on every statement.

Every class for the whole degree (+ dissertation in final year).

Uk maths degrees are pretty much all like that if you don't go to a shirty uni

what university is this in

>multiple midterms
??

midterm 1
midterm 2

Standard to have multiple midterms in an American University.

not him, but it sounds shitty to have 2 midterms in the same semester.. why do you even call them midterms then?

I don't know why professors call them midterms as opposed to exams. Same thing different name

no grades unless requested
individualized performance critique by the professor.
most liberal UC

>final is worth 70% of grade

fucking bullshit tbhf

Mostly wrapped up in my group theory class right now.

20% Homework
30% Midterm
50% Final

I never had an class that wasn't 100% final, if we had midterms, than they were only to qualify for the final, not part of the grade.
>clapistanis get grades for sitting in a room and group work at home
>mfw

This was the breakdown for my statistics class.

5% homework
10% first exam
10% second exam
20% final exam
70% blowjob office meetings

>homework 40%
>final 25%

Lol WHAT

Microbio major, my classes are 40% midterm 60% final or 50% 2 midterms 50% final

t-theres homework in college? I was under the impression you could study independently

You mean If I go to college I have to do tons of menial problems even if I understand the concept?

Programming class:
50% grade from projects, 50% grade from quizzes which is writing code on paper

Discrete math:
88% from tests, 5% from hw, 5% from attendance, 2% extra credit offered to good answers on piazza throughout quarter

Statistics: 30% from HW, 30% from midterm, 40% from final

Most of my classes are something like:
30% Exam 1
30% Exam 2
40% Final

Or 3 exams worth 20% each and the final worth 40%. Sometimes I've had it split 25% for exams and 50% for the final. There was even one class where if we did better on our final than the semester exams the prof would just make our final exam grade our final grade for the class.

I go to pretty good public school in the US. The fuck kind of school do you go that has so much extra fluff for grades?

>unironically complaining about free points

here, I wish we had fucking homework

Most of times it's 100% final, but some courses have bonuses for homework or midterms. Like they give you additional brainlet-tier questions if you don't do homework.

usually the largest of:
1) 10% assignments, 20% mid-term, 70% exam
2) 100% exam

if not, it's usually just 1)

This is every class in every STEM degree in most European countries (Germany definitely)

10% Quiz
30% 1st Midterm
30% 2nd Midterm
30% Final

What kind of shit universities you go to that grade shit like homework and attendance?

Normally
20%~40% in December exam
60%~40% in May exam
If its over 2 semesters, or
80% December/May exam

The other 20% is normally class tests, homework or a project or some shit

Usually 100% final.

Sometimes it is possible to get like 10% with homework, but this is rare as homework is usually ungraded.

Real analysis is a first year bachelor course here. They absolutely should nitpick and be autists so you learn to write a proper proof.

I have 6 100% exams, 3 hours each, in about the span of 2 weeks (Durham, UK).
Exams consist of a choice of 4 out of 6 short questions, and 3 out of 4 long questions for maths, although you can do all of them and only the highest graded count (this makes it really easy to get a good grade imo)

>tfw had 5 exams in 5 days last year and almost had a nervous breakdown on the last one

>tfw had 5 exams in 5 days last year and almost had a nervous breakdown on the last one

wtf? In my university it's prohibited by rules to give less than 3 days interval between exams

This semester it's:
>4 modules that are 100% final exam
>1 module that is 5% course work and 95% final exam

Last semester:
>3 modules that are 80% final exam, 20% course work
>1 module that's 100% final exam

Wtf man? So you are telling me you guys dont even have projects or hw or even attendance count toward your grade? American STEM students are getting cucked then. 4 questions as a final too?

My one proffesor gave us 300 math problems a week as homework.

Attendance only counts in schools with alot of Jamals and tyrones in them. If it didn't count they would never show up to class and just flunk it at finals. Colleges want to rid themselves of these types because they prevent kids who want to learn to get into these classes because of overceowdedness. Basically blacks ruined it for us in America while Euros can show up only on Finals and pass the class with an A.

>10% homework
>20% project
>20% midterm
>50% final

Usually it is:
100% final exam

To be allowed to take the exam you need 50% of all homework (One sheet per week usually 4 questions) and atleast once present a result in an exercise class.
Its has been that way for all my math classes thus far.

Since the exams are randomly allocated to avoid clashes, I got bad luck. The only rule in my university is if you have more than 2 exams in one day

Community college here. Most my classes its:
5% attendance
10% homework/quizzes
15% exam each (4)
25% final exam

Not in an intro real analysis class. This is where you learn to be really rigorous, so you can be lax later (once you understand the rigor behind it).

100% Exams in most classes (They are equally valued)
There is no final per se, but you can request a "final exam" that every professor is required to give you if you ask. But the final is 100%.

Let's talk about math classes, since that's my background.

Letting everything rest on the final exam is stupid, but grading for attendance is also stupid. I think there's a good middle ground.

I think the best systems puts the most weight in quizzes and homeworks. Quizzes are good to gauge progress, while homeworks should be challenging and invite the student to think (not just lots of busy-work). I think this format can even work in a calc class - though some care must be taken to avoid

Maybe 1 or 2 exams to make sure students retain material, but don't make them overpower the quizzes and homeworks.

Maybe something like:

30% Quizzes
30% Homework
20% Exam 1
20% Exam 2

>though some care must be taken to avoid
Mean to say "though some care must be taken to avoid cheating/copying, yet collaboration should be encouraged."

>Letting everything rest on the final exam is stupid
why? grading homework is stupid as you can't compare the conditions of the students and mid terms add stress and work for TA and student without any gain

>you can't compare the conditions of the students
It's even worse with exams. I'm not one to fall for the "everyone is special meme," but some students really are shitty test-takers. Tests penalize the students who take simply run out of time because they're not fast enough (not about being smart enough). Test just encourage memorization.

Also, while neither of these grading methods come close to "real" math or the kind of problem-solving students need to do in the real world, I'd say a timed test is much further from this than shorter quizzes and (especially) homework assignments.

Homework is basically an invitation to cheating. You have 0 control about who did the work, you're just giving away points as students can just ask/pay/blow an upperclassman for it.

10% assignment
10% mid-term exam
10% assigment 2
70% exam
Do American unis seriously grade homework and attendance?

Yeah if they graded on attendance I would certainly be pretty fucked, but I think the uni considers it the responsibility of the student to do as much work, and in whatever manor they choose, as necessary to understand the material.

It helps that I do pure maths so I don't have to do any labs or anything of that ilk.

As for having 4 question exams, they usually consist of multiple stages, where the early stages will be reasonably familiar material, maybe extending a known proof or perhaps a homework question to a more general case or to an awkward domain, and then usually tying in some related area from elsewhere in the course. These are usually "show that ..." kind of questions. Then the final part of the question will be something unseen relating to the results we were just asked to prove. Unseen insofar as not covered at all in the course, but the kind of topic you may have seen if you actually read all of the suggested texts for the course, or possible applications of the course content that would not be covered by a standard "pure maths" kind of course.

Under this format usually about 25-30% of the marks come from the unseen sections, and the top grade is for 70%+.

This basically sorts out the pajeets who only memorise the definitions and standard proofs etc.

I'm just posting to say that I find it funny that an user would post an unrelated Clyfford Still picture to go with their post about being a science student.

I forgot to mention my favourite type of test question, which I feel is related to the two other anons I replied to:

Introduce an obscure definition from the subject that nobody is going to have encountered before, but whose properties will allow us to use techniques from the course.

Here everybody is equally unaware of this material when starting the question, so no memorization can help you here, and it sets a pretty levels playing field.

Good way of rooting out those who only learned the material superficially and is a good measure of how well people can think on their feet.

Having this much at stake riding on exam week is, however, extremely stressful. Life is absolutely cancerous around exam time

10-20% assignment
30% midterm
nearly always 50% final exam. others vary a bit

Good eye there.

I was lucky enough to catch the exhibition in London last year, probably won't be able to see that many stills in the flesh again in my lifetime seeing as pretty much all of them live in denver permanently.

Worst class

5% hw
5% quizzes
10% projects
20% presentations
15% exam 1
15% exan 2
20% exam 3

Computer science

10% participation as well

Even better.
As a math (and sometimes physics) major your first courses are real analysis and proof based linear algebra.
Drop out rate is about 80-90%.

Officially:
You can get maximum 60 points during the semester. How - depends on a course and a prof. Homework, lab assignments, projects, seminars.
Remaining 40 points is exam. To pass with "3" (minimal mark) you have to get total 65%, that is, barely pass the exam. 75% for "4" and 85% for "5".

Reality (90% of courses):
100% exam, everything else is just to get permission to write the it.

Such is life at Bauman University.

My core classes are generally an 80% exam and assignments totalling 20%.
Electives and stuff from other departments are different, though.

I am a statistics professor.

For undergraduate courses I use the following:
Midterm 40%
Final 50%
Quizzes 10%
Homework 0% (I know you fuckers cheat with Chegg and Google)

For graduate courses (not the mathematical statistics sequence):
Midterm 25%
Final 40%
Project 35%
I want to make sure that the students understand the material and how to apply it, as many will be entering the workforce after graduation, or for the PhDs that they might be able to apply it to their research.

The mathematical statistics sequence is graded the same as the undergraduate courses.

Usually it's 100% on the final. Most courses for 1-~3. year students ("undergrad" in America?) have one weekly assignment for 12 weeks in the semester, where you typically have to complete 8/12 to get access to the final.

Some courses have a system where you get 80% from the final and 20% from some other activity, but only if the other activity pulls your grade up. For instance I had a voluntary midterm that would count 20% of my grade if I do better on it than my final, otherwise it's scrapped.

Norwegian university.

>european pre-med

1/3 midterm
2/3 final
miss a protocol or more than one seminar and you eat shit

it's pretty simplistic which i like but not really useful because you waste a lot of time that you could use more efficiently

Wahhhh the teeeachers are hard graaaders why can't they give me an A they're so.meannnnn. in my one class it's extra hard that I'm taking omg I can't believe I'm going to pass because it's super tough and the system of grading is super extra difficult too. Like 2 percent of everyone who takes the class never passes it. 5percent take it ten times or more. I'm the only person ever to pass this class. I am kill pls now. Click click sign stop click click click click. Pretty buffminded le 4chin

100% final

There's no mandatory projects, you are expected to do it on your own.

>being graded on attendance
US universities are suffering.
I usually show up three times a semester.
First lecture, last lecture and the exam.

Finals vary in length and number of questions.

Informatics ("Computer Science")

30% projects
70% - 2 35% tests or 1 70% exam

Same goes for papers, though, right?

In terms of evaluation, everything is always a balance between stamping out cheating and actually doing things conducive to education.

A pristine test environment is hard to cheat in, but it's also the shittiest way to evaluate students.

I think it's silly that students would cheat in university in the first place. Ideally, they would want to learn, as no one is forcing them to be there. Of course, this is all a very naive view of things, and maybe just shows how far higher education as strayed from its original goals.