Is it unethical to test genetic hypotheses on fruit flies?

Is it unethical to test genetic hypotheses on fruit flies?

everybody hates flies, they're disgusting, so the answer is no

They are disgusting, but they can still feel pain.

yes

t. fly

Kek

>Is it unethical to test genetic hypotheses on fruit flies?
hmm first question would be if the flie has any conciousness/awareness/personality/ whatever that would justify their existence. once that is shown we can think about if we should give a hoot or not. personally i dont think so as we are somewhat the creator of these modified flies which makes it ethically completely ledgit for us to remove our creation if we feel like doing so

Their disgustingness objectively outweighs the impact of their suffering. A fruit fly is in its base state a net negative sum of well-being.

so it's not unethical to test on the juice either?

Flies are not sentient. They do not have thoughts as their brains are really just a collection of sensory and motor neurons. But that means they still feel pain.

No absolutely not

*euthanizes thousands of flies and holocausts them in an autoclave*

t. biologist

>implying ethics should ever be used in the pursuit of science.

>Flies are not sentient.
>They do not have thoughts
>their brains are really just a collection of sensory and motor neurons
>motor neurons
lmao
how would you know? hmmm? however if they have no awareness why would there be a need for them to feel pain? in case they are really 'dumb' there would be no point in sparing them from harm desu imo

also : show me some sauce on these 'motor neurons' sounds pretty cool, however i have never seen something about motor neurons during my research on neural nets, maybe thats something new?

> however if they have no awareness why would there be a need for them to feel pain?

Because they still have sensory neurons

How so?

On the contrary, I would say inflicting pain on flies is very ethical.

If it benefits humans, why does it matter what happens to an animal?

I get not torturing animals just to torture them, but if it's for a scientific purpose and can benefit humanity why should it matter at all?

> sensory neurons
ok where are these hidden on the fly? flies dont have skin
you didnt explain why they would need to feel pain when they have no kind of awareness

I would imagine underneath the chitinous layer

Think about it: If they didn't have neurons, how could they see or detect scents and move accordingly?

Is it unethical to breed fruit flies?

Why would that be unethical?

Fruit is amazing. Fruit tastes great. We should expose as many lifeforms to fruit as possible.

how are these supposed to work when covered by such a layer? really makes the neuron spark, huh?
oh i never said that they dont have neurons, in fact i wanted to lead the other user to the conclusion that flies need to have some kind of concoiusness to interact with their surroundings, more specific
>Flies are not sentient
is objectively wrong, same as
>their brains are really just a collection of sensory and motor neurons

Not really.

My point is that they don't really have thoughts. They just *do* things that they are basically biologically destined to do.

A fruit fly only has three functions in life:

>Eat
>Shit
>Mate

A fly does not think, therefore it has no awareness

I'd argue the same for all life, free will is an illusion and we're all just reacting to external and internal stimuli.

> they don't really have thoughts
how would you know that ? any source? just because flies cant voice their thoughts doesnt means that there are no to begin with
flies cant interactively respond to scenarios, also there are differences in the fllies behaviour, how would you explain that without relying on the idea that they are able to think?

Is it ethical NOT to sacrifice flies considering how many human lives they stand to save?

nigga what do you think we are. We just have of it and more complicated structures that some sort of perceived consciousness surfaces out of. You could argue that they are sentient, just in a more simplistic fashion.

Fuck off. This is Veeky Forums, not a place for your one-word shitposts.

>>Eat
>>Shit
>>Mate

funny, saying "Eat Shit Mate" is the only function an Aussie has in life.

No, bugs are barely even alive. They're practically robots. I find dead bugs floating in my cat's water bowl constantly, they just drown themselves because they can't stand being such shitty worthless creatures. Test away, fruit flies are fucking NOTHING.

They dont have thoughts because their tiny fly brains dont have any system of cognition, self-awareness, socialization, or thoughts.

So you are saying it is ethical to use black people for medical testing also?

so does that mean that testing genetic hypotheses on australians is ethically ok?

It's not. Check out how antennapedia is induced in them and some other fun stuff arising from early genetics experiments in fruit flies.

lol

yes but it's pointless because they have all been mutated by excessive exposure to the harsh Australian sun.