Hello again friendos, time for /ogen/

Hello again friendos, time for /ogen/

>Recommend me a textbook
Wade, Clayden, Solomon, Klein, whatever. It doesn't actually matter too much, you just need to keep doing practice problems (I really like the problems in Bruice). Here's more books worth checking out:
Fleming's "Frontier Orbitals"
Silverstein's "Spectrometric Identification of Organic Compounds"
Meissler's "Inorganic Chemistry"
Cotton's "Advanced Inorganic Chemistry"

***********Please don't shit up the thread asking for textbooks.***********

>Guys I'm a future doctor taking organic next year. Tell me how to get a good grade!
Just make sure you memorize everything. Don't bother trying to understand the concepts, that's a waste of time and is meant for actual chemistry students who'll need it later on. It's a lot easier if you just brute force your way through it and memorize all the mechanisms.

>I'm a pissant undergrad, how do I into synthesis research?
Go walk up to a professor and tell them you want to work in their lab. Most are glad to take on a new student, provided you aren't completely retarded - you're basically free labour. Note that if your school has a lot of future doctors then you might have to compete with them on grades, some of them might also be bumming the prof so they could pad up their applications. Also note that if you're at a big fancy school you're gonna need good grades regardless bud

Also obligatory
>premeds need not apply

To start us off

and another

Is a chemical biology PhD just as bad as organic synthesis in terms of job prospects?

It's grad school visitation season. What should students flying around be on the lookout for when visiting schools/supervisors for choosing a research group?

How did I do

Do you have any more?

First one is good.
I don't remember the second one, I'll check when I get home.

Do you take your notes on a tablet? Which one? SP3?

>Do you take your notes on a tablet

No, I just have a drawing tablet connected to my desktop. Always pen and paper for notes, I can never understand why people bring their laptops to lectures.

I concocted a problem if anyone wants to do it, it's pretty casual-tier.

Pay attention to the overall grad student culture and the lab culture for anyone whose lab you want to join.

If everyone seems downtrodden and depressed, it's a bad sign.

Tablets can be pretty dope for notes, pic related
I use a shitty $300 surface pro, also doubles as my work laptop (I hook it up to a monitor and keyboard/mouse in my office when I'm typing lots of shit out)

I sincerely hope you're going to learn the Woodward-Hoffmann rules properly rather than relying on the frontier orbital explanation.

Oh shit
The only other thing we learned was the Dewer-Zimmerman explanation

Am I being rused?

Just got accepted into McGill guys, did I do good?

OFFICIAL CROSS-COUPLING TIER RANKING

God tier:
>Stille
>Suzuki

Average tier:
>Sonogashira
>Negishi
>Chan-Lam
>Heck

Shit tier:
>Kumada
>Hiyama

Honorary mention:
>Buchwald-Hartwig amination

Oh shit nigger what are you doing tier:
>Wurtz """"""coupling""""""

>Stille
>God tier
enjoy poisoning yourself nigger

put stille into average to shit tier
and sonogashira into god

A small price to pay for the most robust of all the cross-couplings, Stille coupling doesn't afraid of anything.

>Sonogashira in God-tier

What, for all of those natural products and useful drugs that have aryl alkynes in them? It's a nice reaction that works well but nobody wants the products.

I think there should be a good tier, sonogashira could be in there
also, wurtz reaction should be in "I don't know what I'm doing and trying to blow up the lab" tier

it wasn't nearly that bad that one time I did it

Another relevant question is, what tier should all the recently-published work on merged nickel/photoredox dual catalysis be in?

You can now cross-couple secondary alkyl radicals, what a time to be alive

I saw Professor Paul Knochel at a grocery store in Munich yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person and congratulated him on his pioneering work on Turbo Grignard reagents, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.