Staying under water forever

say i had 2 scuba tanks, 1 of them made hydrogen and oxygen using electrolysis on the salt water around it (assuming it's only salt water, no debris or anything alike). the other, a combustion engine and battery, the oxygen going to the diver and the hydrogen used to turn into energy, assuming i did not need food or water, could i stay under water with my contraption forever?

*with not "on"

no. Just no. Absolutely not. Even with perfect electrolysis, you will not last long.

also, you'd be better with dirty water, because that contains a bit of free oxygen and stuff you could potentially use a fuel. It works for fish

This is what nuclear submarines do to say underwater for months at a time.

i was looking more for an explanation for why it wouldn't work

OP doesn't know about fluorocarbon's

perfluorocarbon's*

aka liquid breathing

If you stayed above 33 feet, maybe, but for rebreathers that don't use nitrogen or helium. pure oxygen is poisonous below that depth.
Also, they have found that nitrogen does have a regulatory role in the body, so you need it.

>privides a concluding opinion

>uses a normative statement as a basis

You might as well be posting on /x/

>electrolyzes salt water for air
>air tank fills up with chlorine
>OP dies

You could exhaust the chlorine, and for everyone saying I'm stupid, I am, I'm 15.

When I was your age I made a dumb experiment with electrolysis, and concluded that oxygen and chlorine are made at the same terminal and are impossible to separate without something too complicated like cryogenic distillation. Heed this information before you get b&

i was just asking a little question ok, i'll get smarter and look back at this and think "wow i was fucking retarted".

Mods???

This is a blue board.

Veeky Forums is 18 and over, though.

its a global rule...
youll get there, hopefully you get banned and stay away from this place in your youth though. just watch youtube vids or whatever

i cant swear?!?!
wow!
(im fairly new to Veeky Forums btw)

get b& son

come back when you're 18

The second law of thermodynamics alone makes this impossible