Can someone explain to me how the molecules are reacting with eachother? All I get from the picture is that 1...

Can someone explain to me how the molecules are reacting with eachother? All I get from the picture is that 1,1'-(bromomethylene)dibenzene and 2-(dimethylamino)ethan-1-ol react with eachother to form diphenhydramine and hydrogen bromid(?(which is shown)) , in the pressence of potassium carbonate as catalyst.

Which isn't shown* mb

nucleophilic substitution

So let me get this right, according to wiki:
"nucleophilic substitution is a fundamental class of reactions in which an electron rich nucleophile selectively bonds with or attacks the positive or partially positive charge of an atom or a group of atoms to replace a leaving group"
an electron rich nucleophile = the O-atom?
the positive or partially positive charge of an atom = the Br-atom?
"to replace a leaving group" what does it mean that a group is leaving?
Thx for the answer btw

isnt that one of those very simple addition mechanisms

yes, pretty much

potassium carbonate supposedly acts like a base providing an alkoxide anion RO- which then attacks the carbon atom
yadda-yadda, electron density shifts from alkoxide to carbon, forming a new RO-C bond and respectively C-Br shifts to Br providing Br- anion which is the leaving group here

I see, thx for the help, user

Isn't that just the Williamson ether synthesis?
It's a concerted nucleophilic substitution with the alcoholate acting as the nucleophile.

Do you have any sources for this?

general organic chem lectures and a bit of common sense?

Williamson, Theory of Aetherification, 1850.

>Williamson, Theory of Aetherification, 1850.
Haven't had any lectures about it yet

And if it's HBr at the end
KBr + KHCO3 = HBr + K2CO3

That's wrong senpai, sorry.

?

It looks like a Sn1 reaction desu
t. PChemist

Tell me why you think the formation of the carbocation would happen faster than the concerted substitution.

Because potassium carbonate is a catalyst so RO(-) presence is low, and resonance form plus steric effects = SN1

Potassium carbonate isn't strong enough of a base to make the alkoxide. Instead, it's used to deprotonate the oxonium ion formed after the SN1 attack by the alcohol on the carbocation.

If an alkoxide was formed (if for example the catalyst was NaOH instead), the reaction would be SN2 not SN1.

Simple: Bromine is the leaving group and takes that pair of electrons from the C-Br bond becoming an anion. The oxygen from the other molecule attacks the now positively charged carbon, making the oxygen positively charged. Bromine ion swoops back around and nabs the hydrogen off the oxygen to make H-Br and the final product you see.

The word you're looking for is reaction Mechanism. Google diz: "Nucleophyllic Substitution Mechanisim 2° alkyl halide." Essentially what is happening is the bromine isn't gettin any pune tang from that whorish carbon, so he splits like K Fed, leaving the carbon unhappy and with a postive charge. This doesn't sit well for too long at all, so the amine compound which, with the help of the potassium salt, has become negatively charged and will satisfy the carbocat both sexually and financially. the point is the bromine had to break up with the diphenyl before amine swooped in and started supporting the fat bitch. In a more rapid SN2 rxn, a bond is broken/made all at once. there're no intermediates or lawyers or anything.

Thank you for this