Soft questions for medfags

Soft questions for medfags,

How committed/seriously do you take the Hippocratic oath? Were you motivated by an essential "calling" to the field, by pressure from expectant parents, or ambitions for wealth? Finally, what criticisms do you have for the pedagogy and practice of medicine?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilt-Shame-Fear_spectrum_of_cultures
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's a fucking joke. I take time off work when my schedule is the densest and during that time all surgeries I had scheduled are delayed™. During that time I work exclusively in my private clinic and have the nurse direct everyone who had theirs delayed to it.

I'm sure there are med students who do

So I am guessing for you, it was the desire for status and wealth that motivated you to pursue medicine. How common is this attitude towards patients, particularly among surgeons?

im still a student, 3rd year
i havent taken any oaths
i was motivated by it being a very sure way to get a job, always a demand for docs

i dont know about MUH OATH but i hope to do right by the patients and do my job well once the time comes

I'm a volunteer first responder.

I do it because I'm fascinated by the damage done to these bodies and secondly because I want to help people.

Same, 4th year student here.
Also for the status I guess, but in the shit country that France is doctors get no respect at all, quite the contrary. Actually looking for ways out.

im in med school right now but im more interested in staying on the academic side of things 2bh

My ex had to take the oath. It was just a formalism and how seriously it was taken completely depended on the personality of the person taking the oath.

My ex was one of the more vigilante, high ranking students in her class. She took professionalism very seriously, in general.

Those that have morality get dragged into ethics committees. They exist, but are few and far between. And all the med-school fags posting here know nothing about the med-ed fist fights in their academic curriculum, so there are a lot of people that care immensely about their specialization.

There's kinda two different ways of looking at it, I wouldn't say that I constantly think about it but it makes a pretty good starting point for looking at some ethical issues which our med school seems to be pretty hot on right now.

As I seem to remember we were all at this formal welcoming to the medical school type event, and since we were all only 18/19 we were all drunk as hell since they'd been giving out free wine for about an hour and a half. Kinda hard to take the oath seriously when half of us were too drunk to follow along with what the guy was saying.

Almost everyone I know thinks and does like this.

>Hippocratic oath
Picture related what I think of it.
Only oath I have is pay up or fuck off.
People are ungrateful fucks.

Jeeze, this thread is ruining my perception of doctors. Some of you sound almost as honorless as lawyers. How about NP's, PA's and other medical professionals?

I hate medicine. Dad was diabetic and had high BP and needed a kidney transplant. We finally convinced him to get one. None of the doctors told us his real chances. They just said it's slightly low
>Get transplant and spend a lot of money
>Starts getting rejected
>Get another expensive treatment plasmapheresis or something done and they just say we have to get it, no real mention of effectiveness and when asked they say it can help
>Dad is completely trashed after the treatment.
>Got an infection the last few months and passed away

Later one of my aunts told us that in their regional govt hospital they don't even consider a transplant for diabetic patients
Fuck doctors.

It shouldn't. This is just people becoming jaded. It happens to everyone. Like here, I have also found that people do not appreciate your efforts or undervalues them. They do not listen to your warnings or take care of themselves.

I save my compassion only for small children.

>do you take the Hippocratic oath?

I don't think many people take it all. It's just one of those pretty traditions that people of the in-group can share with each other.

>He thinks people are honorable

kek.

Honorable people are the extreme outliers of society. Very extreme

Type 1 or 2 diabetes?

If type 2 it's completely understandable why they would be reluctant to do the procedure/not prioritise him.

>lucky enough to even get a transplant
>complains anyway

You are a shit

>Honorable people are the extreme outliers of society. Very extreme

Not in some regions of the world. What your describing is the culture of capitalism where money is God.

I don't even mean that in a religious way. It's just if the only value you have in life is $$$, then what else would you expect?

What honorable societies? The best I can think of is a society where everyone is made to do "good" things through some form of bullying. Which only shifts things from evil people to people who do evil things when nobody sees.

I would argue that in times of great strife people are more often moved to compassion. Knights Hospitallers and Sisters of Mercy are an example.

Of course, they had religious motivation behind it.

Mother gave the kidney faggot
Type 2

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilt-Shame-Fear_spectrum_of_cultures
Some cultures view morality as a spectrum between guilt and innocence, others between shame and honor, or fear and power. Reckon I live in the shame/honor world.