Why are peple still against nuclear power?

Why are peple still against nuclear power?

That's a microwave.

The better question is why do people still use insane amounts of power when they could use far less power without impacting their quality of life?

It can be powered with the help of a power plant though.

I know you are paid to shill on conservative websites but Veeky Forums isn't conservative and you're wasting your time. Take you're pro-nuke/pro-tobacco/anti-global warming propaganda elsewhere.

No, this is a genuine question from a genuine person to other geniune people on this board.

>Why are peple still against nuclear power?

Because it creates toxic waste that's invisible to the human eye that lasts thousands of years and we have no real effective way to contain it for more than 10-100 years.

YOU CAN'T STOP USING POWER! USING MORE POWER IS SQUARED WITH TECHNOLOGY LEVEL INCREASE YOU MOTHER FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT BRAINLET.

> no real effective way to contain it for more than 10-100 years.
1. Just use it lol
2. There's plenty of structures that have lasted longer than that. This would be one purpose built

>2. There's plenty of structures that have lasted longer than that.
That user said 10-100 years. But really, nuclear waste is dangerous for up to hundreds of thousands of years.
And we are already having trouble with waste from, what, 50 yeas ago? There is no real good solution to the waste problem.

why should they when we could just build nuke plants?

you're retarded

Because the oil and coal lobbies dumb billions into anti-nuke activist groups.

>And we are already having trouble with waste from, what, 50 yeas ago?
We aren't.
> nuclear waste is dangerous for up to hundreds of thousands of years.
thought it was only thousands.

Less power use = less need for centralized power.

I'd rather have village sized power. Where x number of houses or apartment buildings have a single power generation plant that is small and easily fixed when needed.

>4,000MW from one plant
>only need 100MW because of high efficiency devices and reduced usage.

You realize that we have reactors that can eliminate virtually all harmful waste, to the point where its safe to handle with bare hands in about ten years?

this
i ate a sandwich of that stuff a couple of weeks ago and i'm completely fine

Because MUH NUCLAER

Thorium reactors are the way to go

MUH SHERNOBLE AND FOOKOOSHEEMA

I can't tell whether you"re making a sarcastic comment about the health risks of frequent exposure to low-grade radiation or what.

just dump all the waste in that fuckoff huge hole the ruskies dug.

Though nuclear power is a great alternative to using our current methods, unlike our current methods it has the potential to be extremely dangerous. We don't need more Chernobyl-like incidents.

>We aren't.
Yes. Containers start leaking. That shit gets into the ground. It does happen. Just look it up, you'll find dozens of articles.

>thought it was only thousands.
The half-life of some waste products is many thousand years. But that is only until half of it is gone. It takes a lot of half-lives.

You realize that the majority of nuclear power plants is not of this kind?

Actually, old power plants become a big problem. It costs many millions dollars to decommission a nuclear power plant. It's a lot more lucrative to still keep them going for as long as possible. But old plants do not have modern security measurements.

Stop reading so deep, he was hungry and now he is not.

brainlets and normies are afriad of the n word.
they should use some of their money in marketing and rebranding themselves something the wide brainlet populace at large wouldn't find intimidating

The only reason we have so many that aren't that kind is because everybody was scared fucking shitless of plutonium and related shit.

DoE and DoD have been looking at small-scale nuclear for a while now.

I remember there was a major effort to try and develop a modular, self-contained reactor big enough to satisfy the energy needs of a small city or military base - something that could be shipped in with a naval convoy and then transported on the ground to its destination.

Shit man, a single RTG from a satellite is enough to power my entire property. All it needs is a shit load of shielding. That'd be all most people would need. It'd be decentralized power. Although, security for this stuff would be a big problem. Too bad humans are such fucking shitheads.

>all it needs is shielding
It doesn't need shielding tho

Because it's really fucking expensive
Payoff is little and waste is a huge problem
The money it would cost to send nuclear waste into space is enormous

I say it does and you can't convince me other wise. I would not take any chances.

>then one day its primary shielding fails for any number of reasons and there's a leak and you didn't install extra shielding

>security for this stuff would be a big problem
That's been the main hurdle for small-scale nuclear.

Building a portable 10 MW nuclear reactor is doable... making one that's also tamper-proof, that's another story.

>Because it's really fucking expensive
The majority of the initial investment cost in getting a nuclear plant built and running isn't design, construction, labor, etc... it's paying legal fees and maneuvering through all the bureaucratic red tape that anti-nuclear lobbies have put up over the years.

Start stripping away some of the more unnecessary and redundant red tape and you'll see the cost of nuclear power drop substantially.

It's expensive to start up of course but you will never get past the legal fees and such and even then it becomes a billion dollar project to deal with all of the waste

Those are political problems, not technological ones.

Reform the laws to make it easier to get approval for new plants, reform the law to stop blocking the use of long-term storage facilities like Yucca Mountain.

Storage is an environmental problem
It costs a lot to put it in the mount and even then it will radiate the area
It's a lose lose for the power plant company the best way to deal with it is to shoot it into space but that cost even more

> Containers start leaking.
Only one pops up, the one in the rainiest part of the world, instead of shipping it to a real nuclear storage area, in the middle of uninhabited desert with proper storage.
> The half-life of some waste products is many thousand years. But that is only until half of it is gone. It takes a lot of half-lives.
store it in smaller pieces then :^)
> You realize that the majority of nuclear power plants is not of this kind?
Yeah, because people don't want working reactors; they want failure ridden ones that might actually fuck their lives up

>invisible to the human eye
Im guessing you are talking about radiation and not the spent uranium that gives off said radiation in a very small radius?

A few other things with your post.
1) Reactor technology exists where they can take spent uranium and use it as nuclear fuel a second time and generate more electricity.
2) There are plenty of nuclear fuel sources that produce little to no harmful radioactive material (see thorium) we just dont use them because uranium and plutonium can make bombs, thorium cant.
3) We have plenty of effective ways to contain radioactive waste safley, but they cost money. The only real problems with radioactive waste are the people trying to save a buck by dumping it in the ocean.

So really, nuclear fission is an excellent power source with many pros (way higher output, no CO2 emissions, etc.) and a few very manageable cons. People are the problem here, not nuclear technology. People are the ones who dump waste where it shouldnt be, people are the ones who refuse to pursue peaceful nuclear options, and people are the ones who fuck up and cause meltdowns. People like you are the reason everyone thinks its evil, and remain uneducated on how the process actually works.

>Storage is an environmental problem
Which is why we developed extremely safe methods for long-term storage at Yucca... before the Democrats promptly shut the site down a few months before it was due to start storing waste.

... so now, not only is there not less waste, the waste that's already produced is now spread around at 100 different reactor sites.

>Hey, gang, let's just freeze to death in the dark! It is actually quite pleasant, and no diminution of your quality of life at all!

>RTGs don't need shielding

Wew lad

only 100 sites to maintain then

does it not worry you that the whole scheme is contingent on the continuing success of your economy and society?

>Where x number of houses or apartment buildings have a single power generation plant that is small and easily fixed when needed.

Yeah, that sounds less likely to make a mess than a centralized plant run by people who know what they are doing. Obviously the maintenance guys at the 30 low cost apartments down the street are all going to be quite capable of keeping a power plant running cleanly and safely. The fact that they can;t seem to keep the basic plumbing working is not worrisome at all.

>You realize that the majority of nuclear power plants is not of this kind?

>Actually, old power plants become a big problem.

I think I have an idea -- we should stop building old plants and only build new ones. Why did nobody think of this before?

Nuclear haters got REKT.

I live in a place where the winters get down to -40F max and normally -15F average. I only use electric for my PC, lights, fridge/freezer in summer, toaster oven, coffee pot, AC in summer, and water pump. My house is "unheated." I don't even use a hot water tank. Al my heat comes from the sun and waste heat from my electronics, cooking, and myself. My house is very well insulated and weatherized. I have 3 forms of heat should I ever need it for any reason. I don't use them.

I actually have all my windows and doors open right now since it is so hot in here today.

I can't even imagine how anyone would live in a place where they couldn't heat their home. Yet, my neighbors are constantly complaining about their $200+ electric bill/mo and $200+ gas bill/mo. I don't have a gas bill beyond the base service charge since I very rarely ever need it. My electric bill is below $35/mo in winter and below $45/mo in summer due to the tiny AC unit I sometimes use when it is 110F outside.

My house is made so that it can best use passive solar. The thing I'll be building next is a solar water heater.

>solar panels are difficult technology
>living someplace with niggers fixing your plumbing