Self learning

>Autodidacticism
Is there anything wrong with self learning ? We live in the 21.sr century afterall so if something isnt on the internet you dont have to know it. You could learn anything upt to college material with all the material and exercise. It gets a bit harder at PhD reaearch lvl but its still there. What do yall think.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_chemistry
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This is what college is anyways.
Only those that are smart to study on their own and past what the professor says excel.
In college it goes something like this
>professor teaches a
>homework reiterates a
>book teaches you extensions of a
>you learn a-z
>tests test you on b-z
>everyone complains it wasn't taught
Joke's on them, it's in the book you paid $200+ for.

you can learn everything online now but you need to go to college for the degree

literally you can learn quantum chemistry and other hard things on youtube

Keep telling yourself you "know" quantum chemistry, you brainlet.

valid points

Why would the professor only teach a if the tests will only be on b-z? That sounds more stupid than than self-studying inducing.

what brainlet school do you go to where people don't read the book lol

Internet will kill college one day.
I'd like to see a 100% free on line college that runs off of sweat equity.

Basically you attend for free, get a degree, but need to help the college after you graduate. Or maybe help the college as part of your graduating project. They say you don't really know anything unless you're able to teach it to someone else. This would both be proof that you've learned the material, and help the college out.

Not even the same guy, but where I study people don't read the books. No wonder at least 80% can't go without failling at least one class lol

>quantum chemistry
>chemistry
wut

I don't think anything qualifies as a chemical at a sub-atomic level.

>Internet will kill college one day.
I don't think so. The vast majority of people don't have the willpower or the attention span to go through an entire undergraduate course by only self-studying.

so what brainlet school?

I'm from a third world shithole. You wouldn't know it.

I hate to say this but "the vast majority of people" don't need to be attending college in the first place. People have been brainwashed into thinking college is an investment for their future that automatically guarantees them a good salary, and if they don't attend it guarantees them a bad salary. Some people attend college not even knowing what they're going to study and have zero interest in anything at all. As more people attend college to compete in the market place it creates an escalation where you have to do more college than the next guy to get a job. Even if you don't need that much formal training to do the job. It's why you need a liberal arts major to serve coffee nowadays. (j/k) Now days college isn't about education for education or curisodiy's sake. It's about job security or job training. These types of people have no interest in learning and only want to qualify for a job. These are the types of people for profit colleges prey off of. If these people can get education with out the loan, and lengthy time I think they'd choose that option.

There is nothing wrong with self learning. It's too easy to think that school has a monopoly on education. Hit the books, ask for help, surround yourself with other people who want to learn. The internet is misleading too, you don't learn anything in STEM if you don't do any real problem solving.

quantum mechanics governs chemical systems at the quantum (atomic and molecular) scale.

So what would be your solution besides college to qualify people for jobs them?
People pursuing their "true interests" is not a solution because most interests are simply useless for a job. Not everyone is genuinely interested in engineering, mathematics or physics to pursue such careers purely for pleasure. People mostly just want their money so they can travel, read books on mesopothamian history or play videogames.

Exactly. It's just a new reality.

It really hit home when I was listening to someone that runs a lab for the army talking to another researcher at a bbq. They were reminiscing about how having a PhD used to mean something.

Just curious is it possible to get into grad school based on self study in that field without any undergrad degree?

I guess you'd have to know the field deeply and pull some strings to convince an instituition it would be more profitable to have you going right to grad school instead of putting you into the huge debt that undergrad + grad school is worth.

Thats what I'm wondering if its possible, if someone could really show that the busted their ass studying their field, lets say for example CS, and then wanted to skip undergrad degree and go for a CS masters. Would the admissions at good schools reject you for lack of a undergrad degree? Every admissions website clearly state their requirements include a 4yr degree.

sorry meant to quote

>Every admissions website clearly state their requirements include a 4yr degree.
That's why I said you'd have to pull some strings. You'd need someone from the inside to convince the school that you have the knowledge of a 4 year degree desĀ“pite lacking a diploma.

Assuming you're that good, I bet the best deal you could make is that they would make sure you could pass the undergrad major's core classes before you could start your masters work. Like for CS, they would have you take discrete math, algorithms, architecture, OS's, and compilers (or some other stripped curriculum) over the course of a year.

It's interesting to hear it's possible rather than a hard rigid the rules are the rules.

so, USA then?

as an amerifat student, I constantly hear students in my classes complaining about having to read the book.
most of the time i'd be better off skipping lecture and reading the book instead. if i've been a real slacker the past week, that's usually what i do. and i get straight A's

Bump

Yep.College is just to get jerbs.

Apprenticeships are a good alternative to college. It allows for immediate, practical work experience and recommendations which are actually relevant. It could also take less time, less money (or even no money, depending on how its done) and less bureaucratic hassle.

You don't need a degree to publish papers as far as I know. This counts double for CS (or especially math) so you could in theory publish a paper or two to show that you can do the work and have contributed to the field.

Otherwise having a portfolio of projects and a few years experience in the field is enough to compensate for a missing degree.