How long until ageing is cured?

How long until ageing is cured?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nnF2yua4KIw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just right after the moment you've died.

Dont worry. You will die.

Convince me.

Didn't that one guy get all the telomeres in his blood extended? Wouldn't that method work?

2 days after your death.

Oooh, the irony!

No. His ecm still degrades.

>what is entropy

Feed him collagen then. That solves extracellular matrix degeneration, right?

You can't cure aging. Aging is not one thing, it's several things happening in the body at once. It's just just about cell division and telomeres You would also have to stop Lewy body buildup in the brain, stop your eyes of degenerating and your aqueous humor from solidifying, stop your changing bone density, and so on.

The only real issue is the nervous system, since you could just artificially grow and replace just about any other organ.

>ageing
doesn't exist
maybe aging

It depends on how much gets invested in aging research. Sadly atm it's like 10 dollars and some peanuts.

Aging is not a desease, therefore there is no curing.

Immortality of the individual is EXTINCTION to the species. Individuals can NOT mutate to change to external conditions, species MUST mutate to changing external conditions or face extinction.
We have literally evolved to die, after reproducing and aiding the young for a time.
There is ZERO reason to believe our bodies CAN last more than a few hundred years... tendons just were not made to last forever, blood walls get thinner with debris buildup on the walls. Immortality has been ACTIVELY evolved out of us... immortality is a mutation that destroys the species.

If I die, the universe ends from my perspective and nothing will EVER happen again. Give me ONE (1) good argument why I shouldn't hope to become immortal.

It might help, but it wouldn't solve the problem of cancer risk, which increases significantly with age.

Your body would just digest the collagen. It doesn't know to separate it from food and incorporate it into your tissues; it just digests it into amino acid monomers.

>Give me ONE (1) good argument why I shouldn't hope to become immortal.
Hoping for things you will never get is a waste of time and decreases your quality of life.

>universe ends from my perspective

Wrong... if you succeeded in life your children live on... you (your personality and memories) are just a added mutational feature that aids our species in surviving. Accept your mortality and be happy, live each day as if it was your last, for one day it WILL BE.

Aging is not a disease to be cured, it is the way of things.

A very long long long time.

Preggos are not sick too but the hospital refers to them as patients.

My sister had her doctor tell her that she couldn't have a natural birth outside the hospital because she and the baby would die, no exceptions.

He's the same doctor that said she could smoke and drink while she was pregnant. She stopped going to that doctor. She gave birth her daughter at home. No complications. No medications. The kid is top of her class in high school now.

Ever since then, I've taken anything anyone has ever said with the largest grain of salt possible.

Underrated

well actually aging (beyond your optimal age) is the accumulation of damage, so in fact there can be a cure or cures for it.

Why would people want to be immortal anyway? Shit would suck.

You'd have to constantly deal with loved ones dying all the time and you'd never forget it, after a while you would become so smart that everything seems trivial and you wouldn't be able to take pleasure in anything.

It would be a nightmare.

>You'd have to constantly deal with loved ones dying all the time and you'd never forget it
Make them immortal too
>after a while you would become so smart to take pleasure in anything.
Most people don't keep getting smarter over time. They plateau and then just live their life

Show me.

Life is a disease with 100% mortality rate and the possible side effect of children.

I hope it stays that way. 7.5 billion people with baby boomers recking the world is way too many people already.

Life is only beautiful when it is fleeting. If we lived forever, we would cherish life even less than we do now.

>You'd have to constantly deal with loved ones dying all the time
shit happens anyway.
> after a while you would become so smart that everything seems trivial
doubt it. if so, and that's what it takes to understand turbulence, I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

>not wanting to know everything about everything

So by that logic, life would be even more beautiful if you only had 5 more years left to live? Why don't you go bombard yourself with radiation you dumb faggot

There's a difference between hoping for and actively trying to achieve something.

Exactly. We would cherish those 5 years much more than we currently do.

> implying that knowledge is a thing
> implying that enjoying the process of learning outweighs the shitty world we live in

Show you ... what?

Show me the process of that subject from the beginning. I might help filling that hole

I don't see why that's relevant. He asked about hoping for immortality, not trying to get it.

Some doctors lie to you to make more money.

It's been cured in mice, so it is as good as cured already.

Called 'patients' because they are receiving care, this doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them.
Death =/= disease.
Who would want to be immortal anyway?

*wrecking - other than that, well said.

It's not just about extending lifespan but also healthspan.
Nobody wants to spend ~20 years of their lives in a decrepit state and aging research can help with that.

Not quite, but we're getting there.

The body has not evolved for immortality.

Think of your body like a car that you can not change part on. The oil filter works great for 3 months... it can be pushed for 6 months and still work pretty well, but it will NOT work for 5 years. Your body has evolved to work great for about 60 years... it can be pushed to 120 years, but it will NOT work for 1200 years.
I suppose you could clone yourself and do a brain/head transplant.. but that would mean killing your "twin" every 60 years or so... the very definition of EVIL (human sacrifice to extend your life)

Humans won't do that because that would be insane. Humans would go mad in less than 100 years and destroy entire humanity.

I so hope this happens. Seriously this time and previous 100 years are humanity's best years. Soon we will hit the downhill of having too much information, too much energy and too much AI. Enjoy while you can.

>How long until ageing is cured?
Usually something less than 100 years.

>Why would people want to be immortal anyway? Shit would suck.
i hate this meme
>You'd have to constantly deal with loved ones dying all the time and you'd never forget it
make them immortal too you dumb fuck
>after a while you would become so smart that everything seems trivial and you wouldn't be able to take pleasure in anything.
better than not existing imo. you could always start taking drugs too

>Life is only beautiful when it is fleeting. If we lived forever, we would cherish life even less than we do now.
lol what a dumb nigger

Nothing stops you to die though, if you like it that much.
Just let others make their own choice about what they think it's beautiful.

>We don't know anything about such research, so we will say it's pointless
This is what this thread is really about. If someone showed me a legit way of starting such research, I'd do it.

You can't cure ageing, as you imagine it. Most ageing, disease and cancer is caused by stress and improper diet.

If you're thinking of solving everyone's problems WITH DRUGS, how you going to cure all their emotional and mental disorders?

with drugs lmao

H-how will you cure my heart user? It is blackened and withered.

An optimistic opinion: 20-40 years?
A pessimistic opinion: 50-60 years.

A edgy opinion: Hurr, durr, death is great. LoL. No one deserves to live, LoL We all gonna die its impossible, LoL.

My personal opinion: Same as Noah to Gilgamesh. Don't worry about. If it happens, it happens and you can cheer about it mate.

>Life is a disease.
Why is Veeky Forums getting a flood of edgy posters? Why isn't no one discussing biological immortality in jellyfish or other animals, or cells? Why isn't no one talking about the funding that government research branches have gotten recently, Google's Calico, or SENS? Or the increase in bio-engineering students?

Like what happened to the science?

bump for justice

We have to create armour that replaces every organ in your body with something new while you sleep

Why armor? Why not nanobots?

Pretty much every person with a bachelor's in bio or higher I've spoken to thinks that curing aging is well out of reach right now. Pretty much every person I've known to say it's right around the corner has been some sort of outsider to bio or an undergraduate. Make of that what you will.

>nanobots

Fucking idiot. I'm guessing you've never read a nanotechnology paper start to finish.

Give it a few decades for technology to keep advancing and get better.

What you mean skin but faster?

>you are part of one of the final generations to be born before 1000+ year lifespans
Hopefully the gooks and Pajeets are right about reincarnation

Are you fucking stupid?

>there are people who don't want immortality

why are you even alive? kill yourself so i can get a better shot please.

What if there were a way to backup your brain on a disk that can be uploaded to a cloned body in the event of your death? What if this device could be implanted in your body so it continually backs up your consciousness. So long your backup doesn't get completely destroyed, you're immortal.

Of course, having your immortal soul saved to a computer disk opens up a can of worms. What if your data was copies and somebody cloned you while you're still alive, with our your knowledge. What if people made some changes to your backed up data. What if your backup was throughly searched by law enforcement upon death for potential crimes you've committed, or the meta data sold for "advertising" purposes.

>You are part of the beginning of generation that is going to have 1000+ year lifespan.
So long as there is something to do and rediscover. It doesn't sound that bad, just take it one step at a time.

Human intelligence and personality doesn't seem to be able to be caught in data like that. Intelligence is steal not well understood.

OK undergrad, just remember to pay your tuition.

Then you have a perfect clone. Subjective experience ends when ones brain ceases function.

Read "Ending Aging" by based Aubrey de Grey

Wrong, a research was conducted and scientist know that cells have a limited lifetime so in essence cancer is inevedable. Like snakes skins renew our cells die like the plastic part on shoe laces and after thats gone the lace fuzzes it gets fuckd if you know what im talking baout, the same goes for cells i0m not a 100% sure how many times they do it but they turn to cancer. If we find a way to regenerate them like jellyfish do.

Perfect cloning is physically impossible sadly

>"Hurry up and die so you can no longer burden our Mother Earth but take solace knowing some ungrateful assholes will reap the benefits of your hard work"

Fuck that shit. If there's technology to reverse aging and all of its negative affects, I will take it and live as long as I want. I may have to accept whatever happens that is beyond human control but I won't accept an edict handed down by some self-appointed douche that I must embrace non-existence for the greater good like we're the fucking Tau from WH40K.

>Life is only beautiful when it is fleeting

>Who would want to be immortal anyway?
Are you serious?

Imagine being stuck on a dark, empty, earth for almost forever once the sun goes out.

Realistically we have no solutions for many conditions that result in death or aging.

The news just likes to report like we do, and the extremely rich are so vain and afraid that they pray to the dollar to find a way to save them.

Ultimately we can't make individuals immortal, even if we conquered biology simple statistics mean you're gonna die eventually. Whatever accident is required to end your life will eventually occur over a long enough timespan.

Human life could be extended, but it probably won't see significant extension in our lifetime except for the extremely wealthy.

I'll just go somewhere else dude

>Life is only beautiful when it is fleeting. If we lived forever, we would cherish life even less than we do now.

Actually, you'd cherish live even more than you do now. Death would be a massive tragedy, far beyond what it is now.

Knowing a friend for 10 years and having them die in a vehicle crash wouldn't have the emotional impact had you known that same person for 500 years.

>it is the way of things.
This logic is most retarded.
By that logic even diseases are the way of things and we shouldn't cure them either.

>we lived forever, we would cherish life even less than we do now.
Actually we would value it more since dying is no longer something everyone has to do.

I wouldn't trust anything from someone with such a beard.

Even if we did reduce aging by a large margin, wouldn't brain function still deteriorate? Given enough time, wouldn't we be as good as dead anyway?

So I'm dumb.
Why can't we rip off cancer for this? Aren't some form of cancer functionally immortal?

no cancer is cells that keep dividing

>What if there were a way to backup your brain on a disk
>uploaded

Fuck off.

You aren't a god.

and people 50 years ago thought we would have flying cars by now, but we aren't anywhere near them, just like you think we will be immortal in another 50 years. Technology moves fast, but not that fast

Counterpoint: computers

Your brain would get some kind of cancer before then my dude

Not that user.

>People thought we would have flying cars by now.
We had flying cars since the 50s you dumb fuck and we do have flying cars now. They just aren't' mass produced.

Pic related. Also when it comes to the flying car problem numbnuts. Also have a video youtube.com/watch?v=nnF2yua4KIw

Practicability/Efficiency > Your dumb ass thoughts.

A car on the ground is more efficient, safe, and practical than a car on the ground. It also doesn't require everyone become a trained pilot, places to set up for landings.

Now get the fuck out of here.

Flying is not any harder than driving a car in traffic
The idea that you need to be a "Trained pilot" to fly is fucking nonsense
It's literally just the same as getting lessons driving, taking tests, etc

Now that you have smart phones with GPS and maps and w/e, the major problems with everyone flying is gone.

The only problem is ridiculous regulations & laws preventing personal flying vehicles.

do you really think we need to lower the barrier of entry on giving goatfuckers flying vehicles

Probably too long for you and me, maybe not too long for today's trust fund babies.

The average driver is shit/10, I have no reason to believe that would suddenly improve if their cars could fly

>Flying is not any harder than driving a car in traffic
Don't post here unless you have adequate critical thinking skills.

As science and technology progresses, personal freedom and autonomy decreases, the system gains more and more control over individuals. For technology to get to that point, the system has to evolve to the point where it makes it very likely people will want to rebel against it. Technology also exists at that point to destroy the entire world's population in various ways, some of them fairly accessible. Population will also keep increasing which will increase the odds that intelligent radicalized individuals will appear. The internet will allow them to find each other and work together. I think it will be very unlikely society will ever get to that point. I don't see technology's rise as inevitable. I don't think it will lead to all the world's problems being solved, I think it will collapse at some point.

If you look at history you will see every great society has collapsed. Technology's path has not been a smooth path forward. Just because the magnitude of the progress it has been making has increased massively recently is no reason to believe that the pattern won't hold.

Humans reach peak evolution while AIs take over. Seems about right. Humans are really only proto-lifeforms in the grand scheme of things. Too small to be classified as truly living by future AI standards.

So if our planet were to die, what would we reincarnate as?

We might be able to achieve brain transplants. There are drugs like NSI-189 which cause the brain to grow new cells like crazy. You might be able to extend the life of the brain enough to survive multiple bodies.

Unless they can also find a way to completely stop my immune system from destroying my body I'm perfectly fine with dying from old age. At the rate things are progressing I'll probably just end up having to kill my self before the end of my natural life span.