Answer me this Veeky Forums

Answer me this Veeky Forums

I've never really followed the works of Tesla so the answer eludes me...

Why is Tesla's modern fan base seemingly made up of the most fedora tipping spergs, people who think Anonymous are cool, and "Woooow, open your mind maaaaaaan" type new age hippies.

Like real fucking mouthbreathers. No Newton, no Maxwell, no Gauss or Euler. Hell they probably don't even know most of those names.

Not shitting on Tesla or his work, but I just want to understand the cult of personality around him.

Other urls found in this thread:

theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla
patents.google.com/?inventor=Tesla
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragments_of_Olympian_Gossip
youtube.com/watch?v=raG5kr5ba4c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

It's because he's an "underdog story" that normies can latch onto. There's also the conspiracy theory-like aspect that people can believe that they're privy to some kind of secret knowledge that has been suppressed by Edison or some shit.

Normies don't love Tesla, they love the romanticized idea of him - the guy who the media portrays as being ahead of his time and suppressed by LE EVIL CAPITALISTS like Edison.

In all honesty Tesla didn't really make that many meaningful contributions. He developed the first successful AC induction motor, popularized alternating current, and repeated a bunch of radio wave experiments that other people did first and (frankly) did better.

That's about it.

Yet according to the internet he invented everything from the lightbulb to the kitchen sink.

Know of any accurate, impartial sources on what Tesla really contribute to science and technology?

Undervalued genius.

Come on. This stuff almost writes itself. That's exactly who spergs believe they are.

They also like the idea of him creating super-weapons and directed energy weapons. So in their minds we could be living in some crazy Steam punk future if he'd been taken seriously.

Fuck off Edison you're not fooling anyone.

because they think he was the greatest genius ever who was way ahead of his time that couldnt fulfill his potential because of le evil society.

in reality he was times person of the year somewhen in the 1920s and the scientific community named a unit after him.

also, because a lot of his work is more sci-fi than science.

He was the tallest, and therefore, the best.

patents.google.com/?inventor=Tesla

While cringy, he does deserve the respect and admiration
But not for the fucking energy beams, lightning towers and earthquake machines

The man wanted to fuck a pigeon... he'd give /r9k/ a run for their money in a cringe competition.

>The man wanted to fuck a pigeon...
Do you not?

>No Newton, no Maxwell, no Gauss or Euler
How about Dirac, Gell-Mann, Weinberg and Feynman?

Guy was kind of an asshole in a way and mentally unstable while being also very intelligent which is a pretty rare case.

Naturally this combines two things: being very right with some achievements and then being very wrong because you're an autist. Then it's very easy for actual autist to latch onto the idea that everything he was very wrong about he was actually right like most of his failed inventions and then being very butthurt about relativity and thinking you caught space radiation going faster than the speed of light. Just slap some conspiracy theories on top of it.

i think it's cool that his best friend was a pigeon though

Because he's under appreciated and "in different basket" than other scientists that are already established in science books.

He never really make any scientific discoveries or invented much on his own...

However he alive during the time of the rise of unions and large anti-capitalist sentiment. Even then, just like today, there were few men of science that were motivated by money. He was a popular person to point to by capitalists to say that "greed is good."

>ywn be fed worms by a pigeon
why even live

wtf I love Tesla now

Thanks mate, didn't know google had this.

we use AC widely to this day

I'd say that's a meaningful contribution

Tesla is the original meme scientist and the patron saint of autists so he gets a lot of nerd cred

Yeah, but he didn't fucking invent it, he just made it popular.

Western Electric popularized the telephone, but they weren't the first to develop it.

Isn't that David Bowie?

Firstly, he is a "meme scientist", as in his inventions were overhyped at the time and still are.

Secondly, there is the whole Edison thing, in which he was supposedly suppressed by the ""evil capitalist"" Edison. young normies dig anti-capitalism in general for some reason

Thirdly, there is the conspiracy aspect with his """secret inventions""" and """""undiscovered""""" shit.

And then of course he is mentally unstable and kind of an underdog in every sense of the word.

Normies dig all that shit

Is Elon Musk a normie?

In The Illusionist yes.

Plus he shittalked Einstein just because he couldn't wrap his mind around relativity.
Tesla was a gigantic faggot and a permavirgin who would probably fit right in Veeky Forums.

tesla was a fucking retarded faggot.

No. In the Prestige.

based Edison telling it like it is

The real question is why you faggots hate on him. Its because it makes you feel smart. Pathetic

Kek, so it was. I did wonder as I posted, actually. It was 50/50 in my head and I couldn't be arsed to check.

it's literaly this shit
this guy also started the sriracha hot sauce meme

Actually, he wasn't the first Teslafag. There was a guy who wrote a fanboy biography about him, and it was that that spawned most of the myths out there. The Oatmeal just rekindled the Tesla fandumb.

I hate this faggot tbqh

You mean he didn't discover it. Also, the reason he made it popular is because he made it useful by making an AC motor. Everything else aside, that's a huge contribution that you aren't giving enough credit to. That's literally like some today autist discovering a useful and easy way to energy positive fusion and some autist claiming in hundred years "oh he didn't invent fusion, he just made it popular". Technically correct but a huge understatement.

That's a meme. He just spent his time feeding pigeons with autistic obsession as a senile old man, the origin of the meme being Tesla claiming a single white dove had a glow in her eyes that reminded him of his mother or something like that. But hey, hurr durr fucked pigeons sounds better.

But that's factually incorrect, man has around 1k patents.

Afaik he never specifically shittalked Einstein, he just believed into ether and thought others are wrong.

Veeky Forums is usually contrarian, Tesla was fairly popular here ten years ago (jesus christ) before it entered the current absolute normie mainstream via oatmeal and Co.

Anyways ask away, I've read a lot of his biographies, some of which are not available in English.

How would you rank Tesla, Edison, and Faraday?

Apples and oranges imo. Tesla, a brilliant inventor, Edison a brilliant businessman and Faraday a brilliant intuitive scientist. I feel that Tesla and Faraday were closer to each other in modus operandi, but then again I don't know nearly enough about Faraday.

>Tesla was fairly popular here ten years ago
He was still well received here back in 2011-2012, then that oatmeal shit happened.

>You mean he didn't discover it. Also, the reason he made it popular is because he made it useful by making an AC motor. Everything else aside, that's a huge contribution that you aren't giving enough credit to. That's literally like some today autist discovering a useful and easy way to energy positive fusion and some autist claiming in hundred years "oh he didn't invent fusion, he just made it popular". Technically correct but a huge understatement
This is absolutely true, too bad the public credit Tesla with too many of craps he didn't even invent while totally ignore his one real important contribution.

Yeah, probably even then, my memory is a bit fuzzy, I don't lurk Veeky Forums regularly. Does anyone know what happened to Jozef, that hamster habitat guy, and (dear god) EK and Harriet?

>The answer eludes me
>fedora tipping spergs
Sorry OP. You're one of them.

Bc he died a virgin, like they will

circlejerk

>Anyways ask away, I've read a lot of his biographies, some of which are not available in English.
Which of his inventions/discoveries would you say that were ground breaking and truly make him be worthy of his fame? Was it just the AC current? His ideas about x rays and signal transmission did had a big impact on those fields?

>"lol Geek XD"
When will normies stop using this word?

Did Edison really fuck with Tesla?

Tesla worked for Edison for a short time and helped make improvements to DC motors and generators before, allegedly, getting screwed out of a patent because he was a shitty businessman and expected Edison to honor a verbal agreement with a huge amount of money on the line. He left, and spent a year digging ditches for pennies before George Westinghouse found him and offered him a chance to make George rich with this whole 'Alternating Current' thing.

What followed was the so called 'War of the Currents'. Tesla promoting AC, and Edison defending the already existing DC. Tesla would show off how AC could be used over longer distances and was generally better, Edison would leverage his contacts and showcase how much more dangerous AC is. You can't get electrocuted by DC, only AC, and Edison would do shit like showcase public animal electrocutions to warn people of the dangers. He even organized the first electric chair execution and made sure the papers called it a man being 'Westinghoused', all to dirty the name of alternating current so no one would use it.

Also, there were all kinds of legal battles back and forth.

Tesla eventually came out ahead in the end, because no amount of bad publicity could cover up the fact that from a technical standpoint AC is just a better infrastructure to build on.

>Which of his inventions/discoveries would you say that were ground breaking and truly make him be worthy of his fame? Was it just the AC current?
AC motor is a huge, huge part of it, but Tesla has a shit ton of other interesting and important contributions. Tesla coil (duh), wireless transmission of electricity, radio, he fulfilled his dream of making electricity from Niagara Falls, he made a working radio controlled fucking submarine in fucking 1898, he built a pretty cool bladeless turbine, tesla one way valve (my favourite side invention) and a he had numerous experiments using X rays and he tried (but failed) to build a system that's very close to modern radar some 20 years before the first one was successfully built.

>His ideas about x rays and signal transmission did had a big impact on those fields?
I only know he likely discovered them himself alongside Röntgen, but failed to realise the significance of his discovery. He also discovered they aren't exactly healthy. I'm not sure what do you mean by signal transmission exactly.

Tl;dr yeah, the often told story of Edison promising $50k to Tesla and then telling him lol jk is true. There was also the war of the currents, with Edison trying to sabotage Tesla and Westinghouse as much as possible.

*scrathes head and wonders why there isn't a Tesla anime*

We almost had one.

An anime last year called Time Travel Girl is about a girl who fails at baking a cake so hard that it flings her back in time to quantum leap in and out of the lives of famous electrical engineers, learning about the process of invention and the importance of their work while and coming to realize that her missing dad has been doing the same.

Lots of big names like Faraday, Volta, Franklin and Edison get their segment, but Tesla doesn't for some reason. I guess Edison stole his spot.

Though, I suppose his segment wouldn't have been especially enlightening. "I get really, really sick and spend a lot of time sitting in bed having fever dreams and thinking about cool electrical shit because I am bored. Then I get up and build the machine I was thinking about and I guess it works! Also your hair disgusts me and I'd rather you don't touch anything." doesn't really contribute to the message.

Tesla was a literal virgin autist proto-furry.
>never had a wife
>never had a gf
>fell in love with a pigeon

>You can't get electrocuted by DC
How so? I thought AC was a little safer because it's hitting zero 100 times a second, meaning there's less chance of getting "locked" onto the electrode/wire.

I want a Hanna-Barbera cartoon of Tesla with a pink electric eel as his comedy sidekick. And some unexplained nephew he has to cart around with him and rescue from peril every episode.

>what is Occultic;Nine
Too bad they forgot it had a plot in the second half and the ending is "lol buy VN/LN".

>Afaik he never specifically shittalked Einstein
He did though, in the form of POTTERY even
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragments_of_Olympian_Gossip
>Too bad, Sir Isaac, they dimmed your renown
>And turned your great science upside down.
>Now a long haired crank, Einstein by name,
>Puts on your high teaching all the blame.

tesla was self taught, dropping out of school his sophomore year(serbian party animal)
he was vaguely aware of European electrodynamics(ampere/weber's law)
weber and gauss at gottengin(were apart of the Gottingen seven-a group of dissident professors-which included the authors of GRimms fairy tales-not politically correct)had developed the telegraph wave equation and the telegraph.
the longitudinal waves tesla only slightly understood the existence of, were from the well known longitudinal forces of ampere/weber's law

It's about the story. He was super smart but under-appreciated. That's something many engineers can sympathize with. Therefore a brand have much use tying themselves to a great story.

tl.dr: it's a great story that can be capitalized on in making engineers buy stuff. None of the other greats had such a dramatic story to be capitalized on.