Elliot rodger
Unabomber
Breivik

Homer
Plato
Epictetus
Ulysses
Archimedes

Heraclitus (especially since you just have to skim his wikiquote page)
Plato (Crito, Meno, Apology, Phaedo, Republic)
Aristotle if you're a fag like that

If you've fallen in love with the greeks then just keep reading Greeks. Otherwise skip to Descartes and then attack Kant, starting with secondary literature on the subject, you may not even really have to read the Critique of Pure reason directly if you're diligent.

Then your options are huge, you can read Hegel or Whitehead or anyone really, or go back to the Greeks and realize Plato was right all along.

Neoplatonism is a transcendenta-intellectual-principle-tier philosophy too and Plotinus will forever be my Platonic husbando.

>Pick up your high school philosophy textbook
>Actually read it
>Read further on what you actually like

Since someone is asking, which philosophers discuss free will? Usually I'm too dumb to grasp philosophical work, what is babby's intro to free will?

philosophy hasn't been progressing linearly through history so start anywhere

>not reading Hume before Kant

>Realize Plato was right all along

delet

>implying Hume isn't secondary literature to Kant
:^)

Descartes' Meditations
Plato's Republic
Leviathan

Descartes' addresses the issue of free will in the presence of a benevolent God. Eg. Why human beings are capable of committing "evil" acts. He also discusses how our faculty of knowledge and free will are conducive to a belief in God.

1. go to - gen.lib.rus.ec/
2. search for - Daniel W. Graham editor and translator The Texts of Early Greek Philosophy The Complete Fragments and Selected Testimonies of the Major Presocratics
3. download
4. read

Read in this order:

Descartes->Plato->Aristotle->Locke->Spinoza->Leibniz->Berkeley->Hume->Kant->Fichte->Schelling->Hegel

Then after that it's simply your choice who else to read on.

Realisticlly speaking this is all you need

Pre Socratics -> Plato -> Aristotole -> Kant -> Nietszche

How should I approach Descartes writings? I've got the three volumes of The Philosophical Writings of Descartes, should I just read them in the order they are presented in these books?

bump

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

>you may not even really have to read the Critique of Pure reason directly if you're diligent.
care to explain?

>Realize Plato was right all along

>high school
>philosophy textbook
US has those?

Read his Meditations and move on to another philosopher, all the rest of his writings is utter trash

You can skip all philosophy and just read Stirner. It's fairly self-contained, and is the final form of philosophy.

Rather than jumping into the texts themselves straight away read something like Bertrand russels history of western philosophy. I listened to the audiobook before starting my major in philosophy and it helped a lot.

Surprised there's never any actual answers to this. As someone who actually started with the Greeks here's the simplest way to go:

Hesiod
Homer
Optional:
Lyric Poets
Aeschylus
Sophocles
Epictetus
Aristophanes
Plato
Aristotle
Then any other Greek philosopher you want

oh yeah an add Presocratics after Aristophanes in optional

>Bertrand russels
His father was a cuck

I'm just gonna use this thread and ask something.
Was there any philoshoper who had a big turn of how he thinks? Like a 180 in his view and philosophy?

Yes

It's definitely not common, but probably happens in some schools.

Step 1: Start with Erdmann's History of Philosophy
>hegel.net/erdmann/Erdmann1889-History_of_Philosophy_Vol1.pdf
>hegel.net/erdmann/Erdmann1889-History_of_Philosophy_Vol2.pdf
>hegel.net/erdmann/Erdmann1889-History_of_Philosophy_Vol3.pdf

Then read in the order:

Rene Descartes->Malebranche->Plato->Aristotle->Stoics->Augustine->Aquinas->Locke->Spinoza->Leibniz->Mendelssohn->Berkeley->Hume->Kant->(Hobbes->Rousseau->Montesqiueu->Voltaire->De Tocquivelle->Bentham->J.S Mill->Adam Smith)->Fichte->Schelling->Hegel->Schopenhauer->Nietzsche->Kierkegaard->Husserl->Heidegger->Sartre

Brackets are for political theory.

PROTIP:You can find writings of most writers on either genesis library or wikisource or classics.mit.edu.

>not reading the stickywiki on a board about reading

>final form of philosophy
>implying that's a thing