Humans have barely colonized antarctica, siberia, the sahara, australia, canada

>humans have barely colonized antarctica, siberia, the sahara, australia, canada
>hurrr let's go to mars!
>gibe subsidies pls

can you believe this guy? shameless

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gV6hP9wpMW8?t=1m36s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Mars
science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast01oct_1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>humans have barely colonized Australia or Canada
What.

We've only colonised a small part of both of those countries.

We choose not to colonize most of those countries. Also it wouldn't make sense considering population size.

One of the most compelling reasons to colonize Mars is that it's not Earth.

OP's great^10 grandfather
>lol why does that Columbus faggot want to look for an alternate route to India, we already know how to get there

>We can't see Mars from Earth

>I hate advancing science.

Good lord you are retarded OP.

Also, there is no need to colonize those areas. There is plenty of space on earth for humans to live....the problem is arable land.

Why colonize a place in bumfuck nowhere if you can't use the land for anything?

Do you not know what a telescope is?

we still have hundreds, if not a thousand more years of just dicking around between here and the moon.

call me when we can catch one of them platinum rocks you nerds keep saying is going to pay for this pipe dream.

Columbus' journey was about money, not exploration

>australia

Most of Australia is inhabitable due to extreme high temperatures.

australian here

that graph is pretty off, that's the highest temperature day we've ever had.

usually it's about 24 C

Bradfield Scheme when?

And Mars gets down to -100 F near the equator, you think that's better?

Yeah it's usually just a constant 24degrees everywhere. No variations at all.

>Why colonize a place in bumfuck nowhere if you can't use the land for anything?

I believe that's the question at hand.

Fuck off we're full

yeah but it's not fucking 40C every day, which is what the graph implies.

It's like that one or two days a year.

>let's go to mars!
The sooner we get cheap space travel the sooner we can maroon all the non-whites on Uranus and create paradise on earth.

you could turn a good chunk of the sahara into habitable land for the money that just one trip to mars will cost.

>canada
>australia
Op you dense retard can you pls just stop using the internet like forever ?

A rat done bit my sister Nell.
(with Whitey on the moon)
Her face and arms began to swell.
(and Whitey's on the moon)
I can't pay no doctor bill.
(but Whitey's on the moon)
Ten years from now I'll be payin' still.
(while Whitey's on the moon)
The man jus' upped my rent las' night.
('cause Whitey's on the moon)
No hot water, no toilets, no lights.
I wonder why he's uppi' me?
('cause Whitey's on the moon?)
I was already payin' 'im fifty a week.
Taxes takin' my whole damn check,
Junkies makin' me a nervous wreck,
The price of food is goin' up,
An' as if all that shit wasn't enough
A rat done bit my sister Nell.
Her face an' arm began to swell.
Was all that money I made las' year
(for Whitey on the moon?)
How come there ain't no money here?
(Hm! Whitey's on the moon)
Y'know I jus' 'bout had my fill
(of Whitey on the moon)
I think I'll sen' these doctor bills,
Airmail special
(to Whitey on the moon)

We've explored much of the surface.

We've explored hardly anything on Mars.

That's the difference.

>Why colonize a place in bumfuck nowhere if you can't use the land for anything?

exactly

Living in the middle of nowhere is much more interesting on Mars than on Earth I guess. Feels much less meaningless. kek

>missing the joke

The map is for historical high temps, mouth breathers. It says so right on the fucking map.

There isn't enough people on Earth yet to colonize those places effectively.

Also, Mars can't be colonized. There's not enough gravity for babies and children to develop correctly.

>There's not enough gravity for babies and children to develop correctly.
this.
also the point of colonizing another planet is to have a back up plan in case earth goes to shit

If they colonize mars, what do they bring? These are humans you know, they love entertainment as much as the next guy.

I'd really rather Musk do asteroid mining and building O'Neil Cylinders that orbit the sun.

>Also, Mars can't be colonized. There's not enough gravity for babies and children to develop correctly.

It's possible.
Elon Musk explains how at 1:36m

youtu.be/gV6hP9wpMW8?t=1m36s

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Mars

Because Antarctica, Siberia, the Sahara, Australia and Canada are all on a planet that's going to have four billion niggers on it in 2100 and Mars isn't.

Elon fled South Africa, do you really think this has never crossed his mind?

Asteroid mining is a bad meme.
You'll be blowing more reaction mass on changing their orbits than you'll get from them.

There is an 1980s movie where the opening scene is a couple guys tossing a football around on Mars. No clue what it was called. I'd imagine there'd be quite a few golf balls lost on Mars too.

>terraforming
>nukes

Hurr. Mars doesn't have a proper core for holding or shielding proper atmosphere and nukes are not going to help much at all. You need massive bombardment using comets and asteroids which is as absurd as it sounds. The process will take 100,000s of years. You are better off just doming over everything you want to live on.

Also, he says nothing about gravity.

You don't bring them to you, you send robots to them. They send back refined materials or even completely manufactured items. What retard would change the Delta-V of an asteroid?

the worst that could happen to earth is that it turns into a completely dead rock devoid of any life. which is exactly what mars already is. earth would even then still be more habitable for humans, because the gravity is what humans are used to and it still will have shielding against space radiation.

Nukes are useful for releasing locked co2. I'd prefer blanketing parts of the planet with a lots of dark material to absorb more solar light though. not because of >muh nukelaer pollution but because it seems more practical to me since the nukes will have to be produced locally anyway.

It'd be a total waste to release it before the core was restarted or more mass was added to the planet. The best course of action really is to invest in dome tech. It is fast and will work. You'd also need to use centrifuges for raising children and keeping in shape due to low gravity. Mining the ice would be better than releasing it.

>which is exactly what mars already is
hence why the objective is to make another planet habitable, so that if earth becomes uninhabitable there exists a back up plan.

>if earth becomes uninhabitable

Like from multiple asteroid strikes or devastating nuclear winter or massive solar eruption. Stuff like that is the only real reason. Which is perfectly possible.

Genetic engineering to adapt humans to 1/3g and increased radiation is far more realistic than restating planetary cores or increasing mass. Those are just not doable without magic tech.
And if you can do them, better go for venus in the first place.
If it's doable to thicken mars' atmosphere enough to not need pressurized suits, it'll be almost as good as earth anyway. Don't need much more for life there.

>There's not enough gravity for babies and children to develop correctly.

What if keep spinning the mother for nine months so that the centrifugal force provides a surrogate for gravity?

Fuck off we're full

>People live on the majority of Australia
What's your point again?

or you could just build some bunkers on earth and equip them with everything to slowly recolonize earth from them. these kind of bunkers already exist and they cost a couple of millions, instead of a couple of trillions.

except recolonizing a planet in a short amount of time won't always be feasible while we can take as long as we need to make another planet hospitable before the inevitable will happen

yeah, lets start terraforming mars, 100.000 years from now we might be succesful, or not. lets spend trillions of dollars on it.

sounds perfectly reasonable.

What Did He Mean By This

>Not evacuating the earth before reaching its carrying capacity of the estimated 10 billion humans.

mars is just a testing ground, and yes cutting edge research is expensive. deal with it brainlet

lol, thats what wasting money looks like. every groundbreaking technology ever was not even close to that kind of money to research.

yes science progresses indeed my little brainlet friend

>not enough gravity for babies and children to develop correctly
Any sources for this?
I see some studies on mammalian reproduction in microgravity but nothing particularly conclusive.

Half of Canada is inhospitable arctic tundra. Nunavut (one of the three northern territories) is two million square kilometers in size, but only has a population of 30,000.

Fuck off we're full.

to be fair
we have mililtary bases on all these places

its usually the military that learns about living in harsh environments.

Im waiting for another bio-dome type project myself though.

science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast01oct_1

>Genetic engineering
>on humans

That's a pipe dream outside of research labs. Have you seen the public uproar over GMOs? Imagine if there were GMO humans in the general populace.

Good thing Mars is much more habitable. Oh wait it still has stupid temperatures and crazy sand storms, except with no oxygen or a magnetosphere.

Where do I donate guise :^)

This isn't a source

This is just explaining there are detrimental effects on humans in space

Solar wind would deplete the atmosphere over thousands of years. It wouldn't just blow it away over night. Thousands of years of atmosphere is plenty for humans to live there for a while.

Mars gravity is a third of Earth's so we can expect to see some fraction of the detrimental effects of zero gravity.

yes it explains that low gravity is obviously bad for bones. mars has less than half the gravity of earth. be smarter next time ok?

People would probably care less about modified humans than food. Gene therapy exists and nobody cares.

Haha, no.

A tearjerker campaign about innocent girl dying during birth of her mutant martian child and how it all could have been stopped if doctors were just allowed to do their job...
And you're halfway there. Not to mention genetic engineering solves plenty of hereditary problems. People will be flocking to gene therapy making sure their kids aren't autistic or otherwise afflicted by shitty genes.

That's for, ahem, democratic nations, if they remain so which is a very questionable considering the post cold war tendency towards control. Others systems won't really give a shit.

More like millions of years. The magnetic field is just a radiation problem. Tiny atmosphere loss is not really an issue.

So you have no source, smartass.
I don't doubt there will probably be medical issues. But saying we can't reproduce at all with the gravity on Mars is purely conjecture on your part.

that wasn't me. all i'm saying is you can't have people living on mars until you find a way to deal with the lack of gravity. and yes i can't see a way babies and children can form normal bones in an environment where adults lose bone mass at the rate of someone with osteoporosis

>inhabitable
And it says "inflammable" on this can of hairspray over here. I guess that means I can have naked flames around it.

We only have data for 1G and 0G environments. Mars is 1/3G and thus children born there may or may not be OK.

It intuitively doesn't seem like a big deal to me because there are definitely people that are 40% as physically active or 40% of the mass of other people and are still healthy

Thanks for the correction, it's *uninhabitable.

>that autist level joke that colbert has to take a second to process at 1:36

/OURGUY/

They should rename it to Nunavus.

> that are 40% as physically active or 40% of the mass of other people
That's true and false. They're talking about bone and muscle mass. Sure there are humans that have 40% less mass than other humans, but they're talking about mass lost I think.

What if a 170 pound burger went up there, lost 40% of his body mass and ended up weighing 68 pounds over the course of a few years? That's definitely not healthy

>up weighing 68 pounds
I meant to say 102 pounds.

>we don't even have cities in volcanoes
>people want to live in space

lol try again in 400 years

Volcanoes
>temperatures of 1000 to 2000 degrees F
>barely enough space to fit a football stadium for highend volcanoes
>requires extremely heat resistant (popsci) materials to build habitats
>instant death outside

space (mars)
>non-arab temperature
>barely any pressure
>can build habitats using existing materials
>can actually survive outside of your habitat for a little

Hmmm

> Half of Canada is inhospitable arctic tundra.
The other half are inhospitable assholes.

>>humans have barely colonized... canada
Fuck off, we're full.

was this post sponsored by autism?

With the massive amount of money and manpower it'd cost to go to Mars we could create tech to transform those parts of Australia into a lush habitable home for Syrian refugees.

CANADIANS ARE NICE SHUDUP

the point is that you need a colony on mars to make use of martian resources

There is no shortage of resources on earth, you don't need a colony in australian desert if you want to mine something there

much cheaper solution is to annihilate the rebels and end the fucking war.

Much cheaper is to not do anything and let it handle itself.

you actually don't need to colonize mars with humans to explore their resources, it's much simpler, less risky and expensive to send robots.

>turn a good chunk of the sahara
>into habitable land
good luck with that concept, Ramses

Spending resources to help backwards, uncivilized brown people stuck in the 8th century is a complete waste. Spending resources to establish a colony on another planet is productive and guarantees mankind survives if shit hits the fan on Earth.

Space exploration is a waste while there is even a single child left starving in Africa and a world plagued by inequality and suffering. That's not even unethical. It is a crime against humanity.
I think the UN should intervene when if things go out of hand and that 1 percenter's dreams start coming into fruition.

>the white man's burden is now part of the left's platform
What a long strange trip it's been

Why does every 3rd thread on this board have this guy's smug face posted in the OP?

>humans have barely colonized places that are still going to be destroyed if a space rock decides to hit earth
>hurr let's go to a place where the human race is protected if some shit happens to earth
>gibe money to save mankind pls

can you believe this guy? shameless

just nuke the rocks before they arrive

Africa is an irrelevancy in regards to the evolution of human population. Space exploration isn't.

At least he's got the balls to be the christopher columbus of dis age. He could easily buy a cyro chamber and wait it out until we occupy mars.

so he's got the balls to be a maniacal genocidal white supremacist