How does this make you feel

Ludwig to Bertrand: "I'm not sure if I"m an idiot or not, if I am, I'll be an engineer, if not I"ll go into philosophy"

Philosophy is the last resort for pseudo-intellectual teenagers who are too uneducated to talk about actual science and math where their baseless drivel would be objectively disproved.

yo tard muffin, verifying theories through falsification is from philosophy, Karl Popper, look it up faggot

lols, math and science were bastard children birthed from philosophy. you mad bro?

Retarded

Go meme about Calc II in another thread

you should kill yourself faggot

how are integrals treating you pseud?

The scientifically useful philosophy consists of someone who knows everything known in a scientific field, thinking WHAT IF expanding on that thought through logic, and discovering a new aspect of an old topic, that can be quantified. In this respect every scientist ever who has discovered anything unless by complete accident, has used philosophy as an indispensable tool. This work is the very pinnacle of reasoning and creativity combined.

You know math becomes indistinguishable from philosophy the further in you go
>bastard child
You mean postmodernism?

Empiricism is philosophy you fucking idiot. Also people seem to always neglect ethics and politics, both branches of philosophy which clearly have really big practical applications.

Philosophy is just playing with words to convey the feeling of "deepness", words are a human thing, basically it's just boring poetry, it has no universal reach.
Math and science is universal, it existed long before human existed ("there is more food on this tree than this one, so I'll go on the first tree" is an optimization problem done by animals for exemple), it cannot be born for something as insignificant as phoilosophy.

philosophy is just inconsequential meaningless mental masturbation, at least engineers are useful.

HOW DARE YOU FUCKING SAY THAT YOU RETARDED PIECE OF SHIT YOU SHOULD FUCKING ILL YOURSELF BEFORE I TAKE CARE OF THAT YOU IDIOTIC CUNT

sorry i bursted your bubble, OP

It's fine. I think what he means is that engineering is a safe career, anyone who is moderately intelligent can be a successful engineer.
Now philosophy, you'll only be a successful philosopher if you're genuinely a very intelligent, deep and creative thinker. What he's asking Bertie is essentially "Am I onto something?" "Do I have the potential to actually make a contribution to philosophy?".

>mfw people think philosophy is a science just because they used to call physics 'natural philosophy'

Philosophy is empty grandiloquence, just like atheism.

false you damn fake scientist, probably an engineer
philosophy is the mother of science, without the Logic work we couldnt have computers

>being a STEMlord AND a christfag
how do you cope with your inferiority?

>"I'm not sure if I"m an idiot or not, if I am, I'll be an engineer, if not I"ll go into philosophy"

I'd see a certain point to it. All knowledge in natural sciences and engineering are based on solid proof/experimental data. You may sometimes have trouble understanding the consequences of a statement, but there is always something about any statement you can say with 100%: is it true or not.

Philosophy doesn't have that, because it deals with all the questions which natural sciences cannot answer. As a consequence, some of it ends up being empty babbling, but some of it is also quite meaningful (i.e. Interpretations of QM)

philosophy is nothing but art of convincing people that you are right
any system that was introduced to me during my philosophy lessons was quite credible and convincing even though many of them were conflicting and contradicting each other
all those "profound thinkers" did nothing but mystify people with their analogies and ebin cherrypicking in order to convince they are such

it has some valid and sublime goals, like preparation of death, and philosophy of life in general, but only occasionally.
main goal of is control over people's minds: the good philosopher is the one that has a lot of people he managed to convince and maybe even disciples
to think that philosophy is humankind's endeavour to find the ultimate truth, having that considered, is ridiculous
to think it has any sort of rigour - even more so

Did he truly say that? Any proof?

Only bitch faggot 15 year olds who like Nietzsche fit that definition. Real philosophers like Wittgenstein and Carnap and Quine were geniuses. Even today we got Saul Kripke, a prodigy in logic. He is a fucking genius.

Yes, read Wittgenstein's Poker, it was when Ludwig was considering going into philosophy and spoke with Russell about it.

It says the book is about Wittgenstein and Karl Popper arguing though

Yes I own the book, the argument is 10 minutes, the book is 300 pages, it's giving the back ground and context of both Ludwig and Karl, and considering Ludwig was Bertrand's protege, he plays a prominent role in this book.

spoken like someone who's never done any real engineering.

Ludwig was an engineer you moron

Really? Then why the fuck does he speak like he's never done any real engineering, buttmuncher?

Because the tropes of what people thought about applied maths vs. humanities was at one point reversed.

>Science
>is
>philosophy

By the way, if you don't have enough people in the world of human affairs who philosophically value science (and, by extension math/engineering), you don't get science funding, you don't get scientists, and you don't get science.

Yeah, people should stop mentally masturbating over how many angels can fit on the head of a pin. But philosophy has many useful fields, such as ethics ("should we pour our money into researching medicine, or weapons?" That is a question with philosophical answers that effects how science is performed directly)

tired of the "philosophy is just the parts of philosophy I think are useless" meme.

ITT: science undergrads who knows jackshit about philosophy discuss "philosophy"

>someone who knows everything known in a scientific field
not posible

triggered much you cocksucker?

Please do not be insulted if I bring up the simple facts about this board.

He looks like Dmitri Shostakovich.

all the philosophy bashers on Veeky Forums gotta go

it's like making fun of your mother for having bad genetics

she gave birth to math, physics and the scientific method

so if you like these things, or derivatives of, you should shut up cuz your brainlet is showing

all top tier scientist respect their momma, you should too

what do you mean?

So philosophers started mentally masturbating a topic that scientists had taken as common sense hundreds of years before?

you should go back to your circlejerk board Veeky Forumsteral retard

You should kill yourself you fucking faggot.

>he's Veeky Forumserally shaking right now

have you guys learned the quotient rule yet?

Engineers are idiots though?

>everyone taking my bait
I thought Veeky Forums was for the smart-o's

Sheldum of Big Bangs says so so it must be trueth.

>I'm a brainlet and I can't deny

>i'm a philosophycuck and i'm unemployed

As an engineer I've never seen a philosopher do anything beneficial for humanities ultimate goal.
Spoiler: The goal is not to live in our own garbage until we get grilled by our own sun

I'm an engineer m8.

They indirectly benefit mankind by giving science orientation. Without philosophy there's no scientific method and we'd end up studying pseudoscientific and false ideas.

>pseudoscientific
And yet it didn't prevent "Women studies" and similar bullshit

One atomic part doesn't define the whole.

No, but it sure as hell point out the errors in the system

what's with the phylosophy shilling? Is Veeky Forums raiding us?

You are unenployed for a reason, brainlets

>i was merely pretending to be retarded
false flag, fucking shills.

>They indirectly benefit mankind by giving science orientation. Without philosophy there's no scientific method and we'd end up studying pseudoscientific and false ideas.
>doesn't realize that anthropogenic global warming is a mainstream scientific theory

boi...

garbage ideas like "cultural studies" get momentum because those faculties are specifically marketed to plebs. why do you think facebook news outlets peddle that shit so hard?

don't blame philosophy for the shortcomings of the herd and our ingrained media obsession. people will subject themselves to the programming (brainwash) regardless.

>what's with the phylosophy shilling? Is Veeky Forums raiding us?
Majoring in philosophy is fucking retarded, I agree. However, studying it in your freetime once in a while isn't a bad thing to do. I mean, science is built upon the philosophical principal of the scientific method and the foundations of mathematics are built upon logic.

*principal
principle

you might be right.
Also you might be a shill using sound logic to confuse me.
You shouldn't really try to reason with someone with acute paranoid delusions.

"I don't believe in empirical science. I only believe in a priori truth." - Kurt Godel