Theoretically if you sucked a straw that went all the way from the ocean to space what would happen...

Theoretically if you sucked a straw that went all the way from the ocean to space what would happen? Assuming you could suck with unlimited force.

What about if you blew bubbles?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HUmZrtiXDik
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> assuming you could suck with unlimited force

But you can't. Why ask for a scientifically rigorous answer to a scientifically impossible question?

>suck with unlimited force.

Perhaps we should invite your mother to be a participant in this thought experiment.

Its just a thought experiment. Its theoretical

Because it's interesting to think about you fucking autist.

>scientifically rigorous
what the fuck are you talking about

This thread seems like a thinly veiled metaphor for OP sucking dick

Good question mate, I can see you're really passionate about sucking.

If you blew a LOT of air into the straw, I think you could blow bubbles underwater eventually. But the maximum you can suck is to create a vacuum which is already there anyway. See this picture - I don't think anything would happen. Gravity is still holding the air down even though it's in a tube.

Just pretend it's your mom doing the sucking

Infinite sucking force is only possible with negative absolute pressure. Bring your mom to a physicist, OP. They'll be amazed.

drink bleach

>But the maximum you can suck is to create a vacuum which is already there anyway.

Is this true?

In space, yes.
Not an absolute vacuum, but the difference in pressure would hardly make a difference anymore.

Fuck you bitch ass nigga

After like 10 feet wouldn't the water be boiling from the amount of pressure or something like that?

10m at sea level. But it's not the 10m that causes the boiling, it's the vacuum. the 10m is comes from the weight of the air in the atmosphere. The air trying to get closer to the earth displaces the water in the tube, so if you did this higher up in the atmosphere there would be less air pushing down, and the water would rise a lesser distance.

The pressure in your spaceship/lungs is greater than the upper atmosphere, so air would get sucked into the straw.

If you put a vacuum pump at the end of the straw instead, most of the the gas would leave the straw and there would be a level of water in the straw higher than sea level with perhaps some water vapor slowly escaping.

yes, if you can suck with infinite force then all you can do is create a complete vacuum
you then use hydrostatics to work out how far the water will rise
[eqn] p_\text{atm} + \rho g h_1 = p_\text{vac} + \rho g h_2 [/eqn]
hence,
[eqn] \Delta h = h_2 - h_1 = \frac{p_\text{atm}}{\rho g} = 10.3 \mathrm{m}[/eqn]
so no, you cannot drink the ocean from space.
This is incidentally why positive pressure pumps are usually more useful than negative pressure ones.

How did you pass Physics I if you can't handle problems with unrealistic assumptions?

>Reifying suction.

Maybe the system would work better if you focused on it some cold radiating from a lot of ice.

Theoretically there is already a vacuum in space so the sucking part was unnecessary and it must represent OP's closeted feelings of homosexuality.

youtube.com/watch?v=HUmZrtiXDik

>cold radiation
Kill your fucking self immediately

>Theoretically there is already a vacuum in space
Good catch.
And good use of "theoretically"? Could it possibly be that yet another intelligent, open-minded scientist found their way here?

>Reifying death

Does the viscosity of the liquid matter? Would it work for hydraulic fluid?

I've heard of this limitation in negative pressure pumps, but it doesn't make sense that if you keep pumping more energy into it that it still doesn't change maximum lift. They kept the stargate open for more than 29 minutes with unlimited energy, but that was a movie and bullpoo lies.