Principia Mathematica

So has there ever been anyone who has read through all of this? The first volume alone is around 700 pages. Is it worth even picking this up?

Kurt Godel read all of it

Proof?

my head hurts just trying to read it

Characters are boring, there's no plot to speak of, thematically quite monotonic. 1/5 would not read again.

There's no point in reading it. If you want to learn mathematical logic pick up a decent textbook like Kleene's

I powered through about 20 chapters but then I had to give up. The notation is really awful and the axiom system is basically never used again so it's pretty hard to find help on the topic elsewhere.

I read the first chapters, it was cool. it's niche/long so not much point to reading all of it, you might instead skim the proofs you are interested on or read Russel's other works

Left to the reader :^)

PM was made to put math on completely solid foundation.
that is literally the ONLY motivation anyone could use to plow through that shit.

however, since godel proved this wont ever work, there is no point

Honestly that stuff seems unnecessary.
What's the point?

It's almost like mathmeticians like to make math seem more complicated than it is, validating their life's (waste) work.

So this I had a look at the book.
This is the second volume.
Like 700 pages of this.
What the fuck.

Too bad they chose to use retard language of symbols (like stone age people did before inventing words), instead of the more developed, expressful, simple, and powerful language called "english"

Here is a better proof for "1+1=2"
>Take an apple
>Take another apple
>You now have two apples

There. Much better. Shits on Bernard whatever was this faggots name.

The problem is that the entire page doesn't *mean* anything. It's just collection of symbols the writer understands; it's not communication. Fucking retarded writer should hammer his balls with a chainsaw.

>surprised a math book uses math notation
>math notation is useless

English is superior communicating tool than mathematical language for all concepts, as you are well aware, if you weren't trolling.

>>if you weren't trolling
>the entire community of mathematics and science is trolling
nice trolling

Russell and Whitehead were trying lay down an entire system to prove all of mathematics. They put over a decade of work into this masterpiece. Certainly no one should try and read all of it or attempt to learn logic from it, but it is sure a nice piece of history in mathematics and philosophy.

Have some respect for giants such as Bertrand Russell.

The Principia Mathematica is only historically noteworthy for how hard it got BTFO by Godel. What a bunch of losers lol

>or attempt to learn logic from it
>it got BTFO by Gode
Can someo explain this?
Russell wants to build a consistent framework for mathematics.
Gödel shows this cannot be done.
Russell work is thus outdated and not worth reading?

A genius named Walter Pitts read it and found errors when he was something like 14-15 years old.

This looks like a computer program that you could put in a compiler and parse.

coq?

It's only worth reading if you're interested in math history.

> make a theorem prover
> name it cock

Want to learn mathematical logic? Start with the Frege

Frege's symbolism is extremely outdated.

>>Take an apple
>>Take another apple
>>You now have two apples

1) Take one rock
2) Break rock in two
3) Is/was the rock one rock, two rocks, or both?

arithmetic BTFO

lmfao

Practically speaking, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to read it. The notation is regrettable, and the larger project was BTFO by Gödel.

I am not a practical man.

The text obviously holds some historical interest, and is this "elephant in the room" to which Gödel, Wittgenstein etc all refer. This means that anyone who studies anything to do with history or philosophy of the period, can't help but hear about PM. Thus there is, in principle, a sort of challenge to actually read the thing, or parts anyway, as an exercise.

I have a cheap hard copy of my own (first ed.), which I've supplemented with complete photocopies and printouts of the extra material from a library's second edition. In short, I have a full print copy. I want to try parts at some point, but first I need to finish Russell's IMP.

>Later in his life, Gödel suffered periods of mental instability and illness. He had an obsessive fear of being poisoned; he would eat only food that his wife, Adele, prepared for him. Late in 1977, she was hospitalized for six months and could no longer prepare her husband's food. In her absence, he refused to eat, eventually starving to death.[26] He weighed 65 pounds (approximately 30 kg) when he died. His death certificate reported that he died of "malnutrition and inanition caused by personality disturbance" in Princeton Hospital on January 14, 1978.[27] He was buried in Princeton Cemetery. Adele's death followed in 1981.

What a fucking nutjob.

As many geniuses turn out to be.

>monotonic
How fitting

Is there an analogous work for modern mathematics?

Nothing remotely close to what Russell and Whitehead accomplished.