Veeky Forums's favourite 100

Better than last year's desu

>Beckett
>Jerusalem
Veeky Forums, you're all right after all.

>5 (five!) Pynchon books

Nuke this board please

Am I blind, or is The Sound and The Fury not on this list?

Are you a dumb fuck or a dumb fuck?
There are ONLY FOUR Pynchon books there

49 my dude.

Could be worse.

ah, I missed it, thanks pal

>memes
>dazai over mishima
>don quixote only 11
>entry level english lit

I'm going to read every book on this list.

I will be Veeky Forums so help me God.

>oblomov that low
A shame

pleb list even though there are a few good titles
it's better than last year at least, I agree with that

neither dazai nor mishima are among the top Japanese authors, Veeky Forums only likes them because of their edgy themes. Mishima is pretty good but doesn't belong on the list over Oe, Kawabata, Natsume, etc.

If you haven't already read at least 70 of these, you're a hopeless pleb

>bottom's dream
loool

What even is this book, I've never heard about it. Some new meme?

High school shit is slowly going away, but there aren't many changes as far as interesting authors getting in goes.
Sartre, Vonnegut, Huxley, Camus, Murakami and the occasional meme entry are offenders, but otherwise it's good.
There's a lot less sf and fantasy compared to the last years. Wolfe and Tolkien are solidified, but Lem is sadly out. Herbert is pretty high school tier too, never got what people like about it.

>no Middlemarch

kek

kek

KEK

no. 84

There are actually four, not five.

The Sound and the Fury is on there, actually, #49.

Mishima isn't ranked above those authors, actually, because he's not on the list of all.

Middlemarch is on there, actually, #84

Makes me wonder how much you guys miss when you read.

it's a book none of the fags here have read but put on the chart anyway to seem intellectual

i only read 39 books of the list (i counted, yes)

but here is my theory about the ones i read. things like Canterbury tales can´t be here if not for the "historical factor". i refuse to believe people really enjoy it without this historical thing rounded in her minds. basically the same with Don quixote, Divine Comedy, Faust, and of course The Bible.

brave new world it´s regular and nonchalant and her "ideas" are not that brilliant and unique. (like other user said, maybe it´s the rests of high school wavers)

and two personal questions:
The Death of Ivan Illych is not just too soft and too little to even be on the list?.

why exactly you enjoy the crying of lot 49 to this level?. i feel like it´s voted for people that really dont read any "different" thing in her life. it´s pretty bland.

just opinions, man.

I think it's just that there is a dozen or so various authors and/or works which are memed around here so much so that a lot of people vote for them without ever even reading them.

>Bottom's Dream
>Holy Bible
>Don Quixote
>Iliad/Odyssey/Aeneid
>Pynchon
>Joyce

>Canterbury tales can´t be here if not for the "historical factor". i refuse to believe people really enjoy it
I enjoyed reading it tremendously. If you refuse to believe that, then please at least accept a full fart from me

>same with Don quixote, Divine Comedy, Faust
>brave new world it´s regular and nonchalant and her "ideas"
Who the fuck posted a link on reddit AGAIN?

ok. it was just a theory. im not enjoy at all. what do you like exactly?. to me is something like in the future the people think rhanna and beyonce was the really good musicians of this era or something like that. i read it like something very simple and plain.

>even the people who like it admit Brave New World it´s not good prose.

i simply don´t get it.

>the bible
Is this a Veeky Forums meme, or something?Never been on this board til now.

Mein gott the reddit is powerful in this one.
The Bible is dull if you read it for historical reasons, in fact I see little point in reading it pretending to be a secular scholar. It's a religious text, full of wisdom, beauty, exploration of sin in man, and as a text is so brilliantly woven it's hard to believe it was not made by 2-3 authors, but a dozen over a thousand years.
The Divine Comedy is likewise simply a gorgeous read and the historical value is irrelevant, there are very few things in it that are bound in time (his political commentary can easily be applied today or in any time really).
And Brave New World simply has dry and lifeless writing. There's nothing about his prose that one can actually like, it's just there to tell the story and doesn't enhance it in any way. At least it isn't actively ugly like it is in Dune.

Bottom's Dream is some gigantic German mindfuck that came out in English like four days ago. Kids here who can't make heads or tails of the first page of Finnegans Wake in English have proclaimed "Finnegans Wake but translated into English from German" to be their new favorite novel. They've posted photos of themselves hefting the massive hardcover in their local book store and displaying it proudly at home on a literal pedestal illuminated by heavenly rays of sunlight. It's amazing.

>never been on this board until now
i guess you really are new

>Mishima isn't ranked above those authors, actually, because he's not on the list of all.

Never said he was chief, just defending the notion that if he were to be on the list, he should not supersede a number of other authors from Japan

This list is identical to the past 3.

fail

fail

FAIL

I'm not entirely sure if Alan Moore would be comfortable seeing his book ranking right above Hamlet

i talked to you about your opinions on canterbury tales (the one you really enjoyed). not on bible or divine comedy. (im really curious)
anyway, the historical factor was something more about the greatness in literature history of that books in particular not about the historical conditions they impress. and that historical greatness who tend to make the people venerate it without really enjoying it. (maybe im wrong)

brave new world dry and lifeless?, come on, you are a pedantic trickster on this one.

Canterbury Tales: the language and dialect is something I guess you could incorrectly consider to be part of "the historical factor", but the way of looking at things and spinning tales in the middle ages is interesting in its own right. Some stories are good stories if you don't already know them from their source, otherwise you have the poetics, and if someone isn't interested in that either, many parts are still simply hilarious.

is Jerusalem even good?

It's good but it wouldn't be on the list (or somewhere at the bottom) if it hadn't just come out

So happy to see bottom's dream on here

did you even read it baiting cock-mongling faggot?

Lol no, I just like how it's really big and it's worded really funny, and I really enjoyed the discussion we had about the book on this board.

I haven't read Canterbury Tales, but I did read Boccacio upon whose work it is based on. There's nothing to not enjoy, they are short, entertaining well written stories. I don't think it's amazing, but they are certainly not hard to find a pleasing read.
Brave New World and 1984 are what I think of when I think lifeless prose. Can you find an excerpt from BNW that's not dry? Outside that one dialogue from the end.

It sounds really fucking douchey to me

okay here's what you've all been waiting for

>the way of looking at things and spinning tales in the middle ages is interesting in its own right
if that is true. why canterbury tales and not any other shitty tale of some middle age guy?. my question is serious. i really don´t know.

what do banana and guy mean?

>Blood Meridian 8th
Why is everyone so enamored with this book?

banana means
>had deep and thoughtful conversations with your mother about
nyet guy means
>would let your father use for his book-carving sculptures

why are you such a cunt?

that's not within the scope of the picture to explain

Chaucer isn't about the tales it is about the characters in them and the characters that tell them. They are much more realistically drawn, with human faults and desires than most characters in fiction of the time.

>her

>a book that nobody here has finished is in 61st

you better start explaining anyway kid.

underrated

reddit

Wrong, it's only three.

Wrong, it's number 86.

>displaying it proudly at home on a literal pedestal illuminated by heavenly rays of sunlight

I regret nothing.

This list is pure /plebbitinvasion/.

Veeky Forums was already dying from /mu/ and /r9k/ influx and now is truly dead

It's practically the same list as previous years.

im going to learn computer networking just so i can find you can slap you across that pale face of yours

If you think this board is anywhere close to what it was even a year ago, then you lack reading comprehension.

As if you=bitch : ▻ : could even >lift< it with your ((((scrawny)))!⍑: atrophied arms. > : ⏚

The few changes are rather good, too, at least towards the top, surprising as it may be with regard to the continuous decline of the board. School shit like Catcher and Gatsby also fell halfway down the picture.

i lift any woman here that isn't obese i think i can lift that book

can*

>i feel like it´s voted for people that really dont read any "different" thing in her life.
>dont read any "different" thing in her life.
>Refuses to believe that people read classics for fun and hasn't read said classics
>Thinks people don't read anything different
>Doesn't realize that he's the one that doesn't read anything different

Picking up little girls from the playground in the park doesn't count, that's easy.

just because the women here have infantile thoughts and ideas doesn't mean they are children

How do you not like Don Quixote? It literally has a part where Sancho and the honorable man of De la Mancha vomit on each other. It is one of the funniest books I have ever read. Plus both characters are incredible lovable. Sure The Don attacks the innocent a lot cause he is insane but he's good at heart and Sancho playing the straight man to Quixote's antics makes the book all the better. If you think Don Quixote is dry you i doubt you read anything but the stupid windmill scene they make everyone read in high school.

Almost every book ever takes inspiration from the bible. Richard Dawkins the most atheist man to ever exist thinks it should be taught in high school lit for its literary importance.

You mean books in the West. Eastern literature does not draw from the Bible.

Yes western my bad. But point is still valid it is a crazy important book to all western literature. It would be like not teaching the Odyssey because it's a religious text.

We truly have become mad

>implying eastern lit is worth more than the pile of shit it is

>No Oe
>No Babel
>No Grossman
>No Solzhenitsyn
>No Sebald

Pleb city, everyone

>No Canetti

kek'd

i never forgetti

we should do just novels next year

how is this list any different from last year. fuck these lists. all the book on this list will be the ones I avoid thanks /lit you stupid fucks.

>hasn't seen a Bible thread
you are brand fucking new my guy

>journey to the end of the night moved from 9th to 70th

Glad to see Under the Volcano making the list. Thanks for putting this together.

Where it belongs, glad to see less r9k voting.
Makes two of us.

next year Jerusalem in making top10

Sensible chuckle.

Is there a poll for authors only? Could one be made from the data, by order to mention? It would better reflect the tastes of lit IMO.

>stoner
Wow, did people actually read it? I thought it was a running joke, like my twisted world.

>basically the same with Don quixote
stopped reading there, lowborn scoundrel and a whoreson

All my votes for the bible payed off

Where is the list of all the votes? I want to finish the list I started of the 100 books that come after this list. after 50 or so the books only got 2-3 votes

I feel so proud to be a Black educated man today.

> Read Ulysses and Portrait
> Didn't read Dubliners

Don't worry it's on my to read list.

how do i make an image like this?

Paint

well i read just over half of them and honestly asides from the murakami they were all great

>man of the la mancha vomit on each other.
ok, this is what i saying. it´s not funny at all. and i dont say isn´t funny because is disagreeable or something. just not have any comedy impact in me. i dont feel like lovable the carachters, i feel they are totally artificial.
>reading it all. it was not a torture but it wasn´t funny or interesting time.

>no leopard
>no i,claudius