Best opening lines

Waking up to a huge CRASH always means something big is happening. It's never CRASH - mom made pancakes or CRASH - we decided to adopt a golden retriever.

I told you I was able to fit a cheerio around my penis.

I need to read this book.

Also, you reminded me how important it is to hook the audience in by those first few sentences. I'm probably going to have to change the whole first page of my first chapter, but it will be worth it. I completely went off tone with the type of story I'm trying to write.

>When I finally caught up with Abraham Trahearne, he was drinking beer with an alcoholic bulldog named Fireball Roberts in a ramshackle joint just outside of Sonoma, California, drinking the heart right out of a fine spring afternoon.

There was only one enemy remaining; two if you counted God.

>The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new.

Holy.....I want more......

>Justice? -- You get justice in the next world. In this one you have the law

>le epic reddit joke

Beckett's my nigga, shit.

>Now is the winter of our discontent
>made glorious summer by this son of York.

Richard III is based AF.

>Have no delight to pass away the time,
>Unless to spy my shadow in the sun

>He was born and named Ben

Holy.....I want more.....

No love for Willy?

Only one enemy remained; two, if you counted the golden retriever.

>I am a sick man.... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased.

Malcolm Ironfist, grasping his gun and staring down at the shivering criminal, said with vengeance in his voice, "I'll let you live if you tell me where Valcone is hiding."

every time

>Call me Moby Dick, or The Whale by Herman Melville

Fugging really?

holy....

There was only one enemy remaining; two if you counted moOOt.

Holy....

>a weapon to surpass gravity's rainbow

What did slothrop mean by this?

>"When Gregor Samsa woke up one morning from unsettling dreams, he found himself changed into The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

A Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon came across the sky.

HOLY

A CRASHing comes across the sky.

holy...

holy...

Holy..... i want more......

>Heh, I bet your wondering where I got this katana

>You can be strong or weak. I chose to be neither

Who´s this guy m00t? I heard about him, was he somebody important?

You can't be this new

kys

>This summer I murdered an eleven year old boy.

The war is over! The war is finally over, and with it, a chapter of my life closes. The muddy journal I kept untill its’ end shall be put to the side for the words to age like fine wine, untill one day, when I can stomach to look at the artistic storm of apathy within, I shall publish it in its entirety

there was only 1 enemy remaining; 2 if you counted haemorrhoids

>It was a dark and stormy night when Elizabeth Monroe crosses the Chamberlain Street. Little did she know that it was I, Randell McHarold, who watched her. Little did she know, what a terrible fate had befallen her, as she, unknowingly, crossed my line of sight. It was a dark and stormy night when Elizabeth Monroe was first seen by her future murderer.

whatisthisfromthough?

>Fallen Stars. Broken Moons. Tonight the gods have spoken, and their words announced the end of all. A sparkle in the eye of a child. A weapon aimed at a head. It is August 31, the year is 1939. I Am Adolf.

I commented above about OP's opening sentence, and how I thought it was longish. Anonymous, your opening line is a superb example of not only being concise, but providing an awesome hook. A great opening line causes the reader to want to more. In this case, my immediate reaction was "why is god the enemy?" Great concept, with great contrast, and I would love to read more.
Great prose also has great flow-great rhythm. Again, yours is a perfect example. The cadence is so perfect. Sounds great and feels great.
My friends and clients know me as often being over critical. On the other hand, when I see greatness, I am equally blunt. Your opening line is nothing less than superb.

>Hey there, first of: Welcome to my head. Yup, this is my head you're watching into right now. For the next couple of hours, days or weeks, depending on how much time you invest into this, i will show, not tell, what it means to be me.It will be a thrilling and mindboggling ride. You don't believe me? Oh, you will. So fasten your seatbelt. Here we goooooooooooo

>Caracas, 2087. El Militar de dios patrols the street. There is no poverty to be seen, no noise to be heard, outside of the determined marsh of the god's militia. 2 Weeks ago the Government of Sandro Higeura has been replaced by El Commandare, the leader of the god's militia in a violent coup d'etat. In those 2 weeks they have cleaned up this rotten city. The last evidence of the brutality was washed away by last nights rain.. What remains is a silence filled with terror and grief. I didn't know it yet, but the future would show us that this was the day the rule of man had ended and the rule of the cyborgs had begun. My name is Salomo Diaz. I work for the CIA. After the fall of Higeura's regime only one enemy remained, the god's miliatia; two if you counted god

tfw determined marsh

>"Rain. The Godess of Purity.
>Night. Brother of Sin.
>Sun, Ruler of Death.
>Sky, Ocean of Lies.
>I summon you, give me your strength." said the wise witch Malreida, a two-thousand year old Axox, which are a species of reptilian-like humanoid people, living in the jungle of Elmox. These were her fateful words that changed the world forever. Yes Son, this is why all menn are naked and can no longer wear clothes, and thus at the whim of the female members of our species, who were allowed to preserve their dignity. This was her curse, her devilish revenge, that exposed our shame for all the species of Alang Thu'le and made us playtools of our matriarchal masters.

So I'm on my way to work and I stop to watch a pigeon fight a rat in the snow, and some fuckhead tries to mug me!

This made me actually vomit

Actually

There were only two math problems remaining. One if you counted subtraction.

good post

First of all, let me get this straight: This is a JOURNAL, not a diary. I know what it says on the cover, but when Mom went out to buy this thing I SPECIFICALLY told her to get one that didn't say 'diary' on it.

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster

Only eight enemies remained; nine if you counted wrong.

10/10

>Officious little prick

I was pretty disappoint they didn't work that into the film

A crash came across the sky. Two more, if you counted God and Me.
*freeze frame*
You're probably wondering who I am. Yep, that's me, with the katana, and the duster, but let's get back in the story.
*unfreeze frame*
The people spake : HOLY! I want no more!
I cut gOD in 100000 pieces.
"heh nothing personel, kid, i'm just to smart"
"you're a smart guy"
"for you."

There was only one enemy left, two if-CRASH! "I made pancakes!" yelped the golden retriever

He opened the door fastly

i laughed out loud

There is a saying in my hometown: Don't fight a mad cat. Well... when i was a child i was a stupid brat. I'm Rick Thunder, and this is my story.

This is not a book.

Killing a man is a crime they say, well i disagree. Killing a man is a thing far too pleasurable, far too lifting of the spirits, far too good on the soul, that it could ever deserve to be called a crime. At the worst it is a misunderstanding or an unlucky occurence. But a one-sided perspective on killing a man, is far from being fair or just. But to provide an example of my, i admit, somewhat radical claim, i will tell you of my latest murder. A murder that occured just a couple of hours ago. The Victim was a police name, whose name i don't know. And let me tell you, it was a cleansing experience. The thrill, the blood, the short and painful scream of the victim. It is more than pleasurable or good, it is a legitimate artform and i am an artist.

Rows of buildings framed a tragic scene that played out on the 21st of december in the year 2000 and 17. Hillary Clinton, the first female president of the United States, had been killed by an alt-right terrorist. The world was never the same after this day. And i was there. Yes, i was there on the scene. I stood there. I held the gun. I aimed it at there. And i shot her in the head. I watched as she fell to the ground, i saw her blood flowing. A lot of blood. I was scared and afraid. I couldn't think, i couldn't understand what i had just done. But i uttered one sentence, before terrified citizens threw themself on me and took away my gun. I said, with a tone of conviction that surprised me: "This... Is for Pepe."

>Having read a fine line of prose -- of disasterous crashes, dogs, dishes and destroyed dreams -- I brazenly proclaimed to the Holiest One, 'I want more," not realizing yet that He was my enemy.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhh......
I want more.....

I know this is actually just a meme thread but I figure I might as well post it here.
What do you guys think of this opening line "I had started that year a failure"

SOLVING THE FOLLOWING riddle will reveal the awful secret behind the universe, assuming you do not go utterly mad in the attempt.

> a two-thousand year old Axox, which are a species of reptilian-like humanoid people, living in the jungle of Elmox

god fantasy writers are so terrible. say what you will about Dune but though Herbert's prose is middling to bad, he completely avoids hideous exposition loredumps like this.

i'm not even responding to the rest of that weird sex fetish shit.

sounds like shit out of Diary of a Wimpy Kid or something

Cut had. idgaf if it's more grammatically correct, it makes u sound like a fucking nerd.

"I started that year a failure. I ended it a failure. It was a year like any other, yet one which contained a much more aesthetically complex style of failure which I then felt the need to communicate to the masses in this book that nobody will read."

That's where I'd take it 2bh.

I'll put this in the acknowledgements

Okay, but I can imagine CRASH we decided to adopt a golden retriever. Especially a young dog adopted by parents of a laybout adult offspring who likes to sleep in. There could very well be a lot of crashing to wake up to.

"So there I am, gettin' sucked off by Toothless Sam when some motherfucker blows his load straight up my asshole!"

Dawn broke, as it tends to do.

>Waking up to a huge CRASH always means something big is happening. It's never CRASH - bane destroyed your plane or CRASH - we decided to adopt a loyal hired gun.

Aujourd'hui maman a chuté dans les escaliers et est morte sur le coup -crash.

"Jessica. Jessica. Wake up. It's me. Jessica."
A dark cloud obscured the bright sun. A swarm of Kolibri-4 drones crossed the sky beneath it. They were on there way to Paris-2, bringing a present called devastation. "Jessica. Jessica!" Beneath the swarm Roddy the body cowered over a dead girl. The dead girl was his daughter.

Chills. All over.

>There are two types of people in this world; people with guns and people without. I had a gun.

>The record scratched and the frame froze.
>"Yup, that's me," the narrator said, breaking the fourth wall. "You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation..."
>The question was rhetorical but the audience member couldn't help feel as if they were being pulled toward the screen. As if they were being pulled into the tale itself. Another dimension, maybe? A dimension in a different time and a different space where everything the audience member was about to witness were true. All of it.

Until a few years ago, Peter Kovach thought that he was among the coolest male specimens available on the market. Although, not a mature David Bowie or similar sort type of cool. Oh no, it was a basic case of as cool as an ordinary sucker can get...

would be a cool intro to judge dredd or something

fucking kek

lohy...i ntwa remo

LMAO

>Memorizing the reddit post

Only one light remained ; two if you counted Veeky Forums

Nice

some r/writing opening line post

great movie

Ilsebill added more salt.

actually laughed out loud, well done

There is an air of cosmic terror surrounding the Blackwood house.

I remember reading that when it happened, has it become a meme now?