Most useful academic degrees - SHTF scenario

Assume you are now in a post-apocalyptic scenario where shit has totally hit the fan, leaving only 11 of your neighbors and yourself having survived this catastrophe that has totally destroyed modern civilization. What knowledge, chosen in the form of academic degrees up to the PhD level for each member of your small group, would you consider the most useful to your long-term survival?

>You
>Neighbor 1
>Neighbor 2
>Neighbor 3
>Neighbor 4
>Neighbor 5
>Neighbor 6
>Neighbor 7
>Neighbor 8
>Neighbor 9
>Neighbor 10
>Neighbor 11

There are correct and incorrect answers. This group must be able to solve any problem and rebuild society or you will all die off within the first generation.

It is highly unlikely that there is any significant populations that have survived of more than a few dozen people, and more likely that only other tiny groups like yours are scattered around in tiny pockets of the world, and it is completely unknown to you if they possess the knowledge or skills capable of making any kind of contact with you, that is if they survive long enough at all to ever have the opportunity to do so in the first place, or if you'd even want to contact them in fear of hostility.

3 mechanical engineers
3 medical doctors
2 civil engineers
2 electrical engineers
2 chemical engineers

>protip: no math or physics autists

>physicist
>general surgeon
>primary care physician
>emergency room physician
>mechanical engineer
>electrical engineer
>computer science
>biologist
>chemist
>forester
>botanist

civil and chemical engineers would be 100% useless in a scenario like this. what the fuck are you having them even do? sign building papers and design tubes using a stick in the dirt?

/Thread

>computer science
lmao hahaha

How bout well drilling wells and maintaining safe sources of drinking water, brainlet

People who majored in shop class and making drugs.

Whoever I had on my roster, I'd really hope for an electrical engineer that just happened to be really into amateur radio and specialized in radio frequency engineering, and another who specialized in electronic design so our shitty little group could be more than 12 people in the middle of nowhere.

Maybe scratch the radio shit then desu.

You faggots would be wiped out within a year. lol literally nobody that knows anything about the environment.

Take this but change it to:

>physicist
>general surgeon
>OB/GYN
>mechanical engineer
>electrical engineer
>biologist
>chemist
>forester
>botanist
>psychologist
>chemical engineer
>wild card - philosopher/artist/anthropologist/economist/historian

You have to remember that you'd have literally no psychologists/humanities/entertainment in this shitty ass world of 12 people and probably nobody else.

who do you plan on designing or programming any sort of computer? if you're going to scoff at a CS person, then you might as well not bother with an EE. there already isn't a mathematician. you have to have someone like that. nobody else will have any idea how to do it.

>all these idiots picking out totally impractical PhD's

1 Geologist
2 Physicians/Doctors
1 Dentist
1 Mechanical Engineer
1 Architect
1 Electrical Engineer
1 Chemist
1 Geographer
1 Botanist
1 Agriculturalist/Forester

and then there's me

>CS

I'll play with myself until we figure out how to make a transistor in 2,000 years

I'm burly so I'll just cut wood and build shit I guess

I threw the EE in there to see if we can come across shit that can be reverse engineered, basically a hail mary slot since modern EE's are really high level

>2x doctor
>botanist/agriculture
>3x engineer
>2x carpenter
>welder/fabricator
>electrician
>plumber

you're better off with a CE

a CS major would be useless, and I say that as a CS major

>3 people who have 10 phds, including electricity, botanics, etc etc
>8 hot fertile bitches who love getting pregnant

anyone can hunt with simple guns, we just need to reproduce and teach others

Trick question, you cant rebuild society from 12 people

I personally think CS/EE/CE is going to be pretty useless until the basic infrastructure is up and running, which will take a long long time from scratch

>You have to remember that you'd have literally no psychologists/humanities/entertainment in this shitty ass world of 12 people and probably nobody else.
Sex is a huge source of entertainment. Assuming any two neighbors can mate with each other, what would be the best "families" for this apocalyptic society? (For example, matching a physicist with a chemist would result in a smarter child than a physicist and historian. But is it better to have something like physicist+chemist and historian+botanist or something like physicist+historian and chemist+botanist?) I personally think it better to have everyone at average intelligence rather than having super smart people living with super dumb people.

true, but for the function he wants, he doesn't want CS

CS is probably the most useless degree possible in such a situation

12 people trying to carve out survival in a newly harsh world aren't going to have time for that bullshit anyway

the arts were a product of free time, artists will pop up on their own in the future

Everybody before this post has a retarded list. This is the only acceptable group of people

>Mechanical Engineer
>Mechanical Engineer as a redundancy, maybe specialized in something else
>Electrical Engineer for possible telecommunications although really unlikely
>Doctor (primary care)
>Doctor (OB/GYN)
>Doctor (surgeon)
>Doctor (surgeon)
>Botanist, specifically a Horticulturalist, for fucking food
>Geologist, particularly Hydrogeology and Mineralogy, because the earth has lots of resources in it we really really will need
>Forester for taking advantage of our environment
--------------- line of uncertainty ---------------
>Chemist for general oversight
>Physicist for general oversight

>Architect
>Geologist
>Dentist
>Geographer
>CS

You'd all die.

The electricians, plumbers, and welders can't do literally ANYTHING without good engineers to design and build their tools, the engineers probably having the ability to do their jobs anyway. You'd all die.

>4 doctors

Are you planning on 7 sick and/or incapacitated people at once? I know some towns without that many.

I think you misunderstand the value of knowledge diversity. Geologist is absolutely essential, this is one of the first core sciences as it dealt with some of the most tangible issues facing humans in resource extraction and identification. And there shouldn't be any confusion as to why the first thing explorers and pioneers do when entering a region is to map and chart the area. You need to be able to locate and get to places quickly.

You've simply bought into the "paid more=more useful" meme.

And two MechE's? We don't even have a fucking wagon. Much less complex combustion engines. The implication is starting from scratch.

if one of the doctors dies then you're entire group is fucked without any extras. ME is extremely broad and infinitely useful. A dentist is totally useless. You might as well have a fucking ophthalmologist while you're at it.

The only concession I'd be willing to make is two doctors rather than a doctor and a dentist. But seriously, not 4. They are going to be sitting around playing with themselves for most of the day while everyone else is trying to figure out how to build a functioning society.

A dentist isn't as impractical as you think, a rotting tooth could infect and kill you when exposed. A general physician may be adequate for basic dental issues.

How useful is mine in your opinion?

>BS in Environmental Science
>minor in Practical Ethics
>MPS in Horticulture

I guess you're right.

You'd probably be pretty useful. I don't see how you wouldn't be useful if you know horticulture in a situation where growing food is a huge priority

you'd basically need one of everything that's significant if you want to rebuild society to what it is now, otherwise we'd have gigantic gaps that our children just wouldn't have passed onto them.

>TFW EE
>TFW I made everyone's list
>TFW to smart too do physics

if you don't know anything about radios then you'd be totally useless and used for food.

>10 philosophers

No matter which 10 "professions" you choose, all future humans will regard them as the greatest and smartest philosophers to ever live. Imagine what it would be like. You'd be writing books like Aristotle, except you actually know physics and chemistry and all this shit. So instead of making baseless assumptions you'd be putting out all these crazy ass fucking conjectures that sound completely nuts to all your descendants. But eventually when society advanced enough, they'll be able to test shit and wonder how that super ancient dude knew about the behavior of quarks and light and nuclear bombs. It may even give support to future ancient alien conspiracy theorists.

you'd die before any descendants could be made

two chemical engineers to design a fart smelling tube system so we can all smell each others farts as we starve to death because we're all fucking engineers and have no idea how to find food, sanitize anything, grow anything. fucking genius wow user good job you fucking idiot.

Ruling Class Community Requirements,

1. Trustworthy (NO EXCEPTIONS!!!).
2. Either be capable of being, at least, one of the following: Intelligent Leader, Compassionate Nurturer, or Political Networker.
3. Has killed or willing to kill human beings.

Viable Candidates,

Candidates that come to mind are engineers and physicists that have served in the armed forces, medical doctors, and some friends with large, wealthy social networks.

Brainlet Stratagem,

Unfortunately, brainlets, by definition, lack the ability to have self-control, persistence, and long-term planning. Brainlets cannot say no to an opportunity for immediate self-gratification.

Consequently, brainlets have brainlet skills and brainlet lifestyles that the pre-apocalyptic society viewed as a big joke. A lifetime of being undervalued while being constantly labeled a failure, a retard, and a loser creates broken people.

As broken people, brainlets are much more emotionally sensitive and raw than the average person. A single insult or slight thrown at a brainlet is a hot, searing iron digging at their wound of dismal self-worth and a lifetime's worth of built up insecurities.

You now understand the brainlets achilles heel. Brainlets so desperately and zealously wear masks of fierceness and exhibit theatrical displays of aggression because their sanity, no, their defenseless, vulnerable, identity is on the line. One strategic, targeted blow will crush them.

Understanding cattle is easy but important. Now that you are familiar with the average brainlet, I assume we can all predict their first brainlet actions.

Brainlets will go on nature hikes and start whipping out all of their Eagle scout tricks and attempt to, nearsightedly and selfishly, nurture their damaged sense of self-worth.

Brainlets will be too pre-occupied with seeking immediate self-gratification through vindication to even be aware that they are being excluded from the big boy table. Like the previous society, these people will start off by making the same bad types of decisions for the exact same reasons because that is simply

Ruling Class Stratagem,

To be continued...

>1. Trustworthy (NO EXCEPTIONS!!!).
and you would have no way of knowing that

>picking any type of pure scientist
even at phd level they'll be far less useful than even a bachelors educated engineer, paramedic, or 3rd year medicine student

The candidates that I am considering are from my circle of friends.

I have lots of friends, but I only allow people with rock solid morals close to me. Most people would laugh at valuing morality in today's world.

However, morality is the only reason I would be able to be confident and would be able to guarantee the trustworthiness of my inner circle.

you sound dangerously autistic, like you'll shoot up your university or something.

Emergency Medicine/Internal Medicine
Surgery
Anaesthesiology/Pathology
Horticulture
Water Management
Animal Sciences
Mechanical Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Organizational Leadership
Geography
Culinary Arts
Music (the only of the arts I'd think worth having, as anyone can paint)

A lot of fields require a lot of field work for grad level.

So geologists and botanists etc would actually be very useful

my uncle has a PhD in Geology and he's had to go everywhere, could probably identify every mineral on the planet by taste

>>Me: Real Estate Finance. I guess I'm the new Doctor of Applied Bitchwork, because I'm essentially useless.
>Metallurgical Engineer
>Construction Engineer
>Geologist
>Plant Scientist/Pathologist
>Agricultural Systems Manager
>Architect
>Applied Mathematician
>OBGYN
>General Physician
>General Surgeon
>Nutritionist / (Chef if they're a women lul)

>Me: Real Estate Finance

you would be canibalized

Cannibalized, and absolutely.

no one there knows fuck all about agriculture which is what feeds people and keeps them alive

yeah just a bunch of autists that need computers and other tools to do literally anything they were trained to do.

>tfw your Agronomy major finally matters

Geg I'd be useful since I'm going to study to become an MEXHANEKE EMGONEER.

11 Biologists

All male
The biologists will find a way to grow humans without the need for women
They will become the new race of superior humans, biologically predisposed to engineering

11 pure math grads.
anyone who says otherwise is dumb

>Computer Scientist
>Computer Scientist
>Computer Scientist
>Computer Scientist
>Computer Engineer
>Computer Scientist
>Computer Engineer
>Electrical Engineer
>Computer Scientist
>Blank space

Plan A: we will build a superintelligent AI that will fill the blank space and outperform any human scientist in any field
Plan B: We program the matrix and hide there
The EE is there because we don't know how to make PSUs for our computers,