Actuarial Science

Any actuaries here? Any tips for exams outside of TIA/ADAPT/the manuals?

Actuarial career worth pursuing?

Other urls found in this thread:

faculty.atu.edu/mfinan/actuarieshall/mainf.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm interested in this too. Summon: actuary

/adv/-kun here, nice career and all but you need more courses in economics and finance THEORY, lots of stats and git gud at excel.

Not an actuary but that shit ain't easy, since if it was, all pure mathfags would be working in this.

As for the exams, dunno lol.

actuary isn't a particularly difficult job, but it requires a particular route through school and some extra exams. it pays well, too.
that said, i've never met an actuary that likes it. every single person i've talked to hates the job. almost unanimously though, i hear "but the pay is good i guess." even at a career fair, the actuary said "i wish i would have done something else, i hate this job, but the money is alright."

OP here. Are there other jobs worth pursuing? I have a math degree and I graduated in 2016. Still haven't found a job. It's depressing as hell.

OP again. I'm even considering an AS in CS from a comm college just to get my feet wet.

Isn't it better to just do applied maths?

Already have my Bachelors

So how difficult would the exam be for someone who has a bachelor in Mathematics with some business/finance courses on the side?

Not to dis your thread, but are you aware of ?

do you have any programming experience? have you worked with a team before? what is your research experience? be sure to talk about those things in your resume. if you haven't already, it's time to buckle down and get a local job (maybe fast food) to start making money. we've all got to hustle at some point, and right now you need to.

i also graduated in 2016 and i was pursuing government jobs and government contractor jobs. this includes SPAWAR, NASA, Northrop Grumman, L3 Communications, SpaceX, SAIC, Booze-Allen, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, and so on. i got hired for the government early on but the clearance process is still on-going so i haven't started work for them yet. i've applied for over a hundred jobs with contractors for mainly software engineering positions. i was contacted by L3 over four months ago for an embedded position but i botched the HR interview questions despite nailing the programming questions. after following up with another guy, he told me his boss was interested in having me as a systems engineer, and i can begin work there immediately while i work towards a clearance. i'm preparing to move for the job right now, actually.

other options include trading and other finance related jobs (actuarial positions are a little too specialized though) and data scientist positions in silicon valley. i didn't want to do that sort of work but maybe you will.

(continued)
you're about to leave the "new grad" category and enter the "still doesn't have a job" category. just having a degree doesn't mean anything and doesn't guarantee you a job (unless it's an engineering degree), you were supposed to start building your work application by the end of junior year. get it together, get a local job for now, contribute to open source projects (if you know programming), etc. if you graduated with a pure math degree and NOTHING else, you're not much better off than a philosophy degree. even having a PhD in pure math could be useless depending on the field of study. i guess an option is to go back to school and get a masters in applied math, physics, statistics, etc.

Yo. Doing an internship atm, two exams passed, so I'm not an actuary but then again no one is until they've been certified and have passed a bunch more along with a bunch of stat/econ classes.

It is worth pursuing, but only if you're determined and a smart cookie. Job market's getting more competitive as people, as of recent downturns flooded in, but that'll pass when the dumbs give up.

If you decide to pursue it 100%, learn SQL, SAS, basic office stuff, pass three exams (assuming burgerness), and there'll be an entry level position out there for you. Easier said than done, though.

And btw the best way to pass the exams is to do as many sample problems as possible and get the current concepts down rote.

No, I'm not an actuary. However, I did read this book about this guy who was terrified, as in all the time...mostly about disasters. He went into selling insurance because his fears of multiple worst-case scenarios could affect the ceo's who would then buy his insurance. He was VERY good; and extremely wealthy (not important to me, except I'd use it to feed the hungry and malnourished). If I was good at sales (selling, pitching, scamming) I could be him. But if I was good at sales, I'd just be a ceo whore and I worry far too much about karma and consequences: and, especially, of being reborn as a child sex- or snuff-toy to pay for my greed and lies (such as view counts).

None of the exams are unreasonably hard if you prepare well (at least in my experience, I've passed two and will write a third in a couple months).

If you don't prepare specifically for them, it's likely you will fail. You have to move fairly fast to get through enough of the exam in time and there are enough subtle tricks in the questions that if you try to do everything the naive way or just try to figure it out on the fly you'll run out of time very quickly.

The exams are a gatekeeping measure, in a sense; you aren't supposed to pass if you didn't pay somebody to show you how to pass.

>you were supposed to start building your work application by the end of junior year.
>tfw going to graduate in may and have never done anything other than go to school my entire life

No I wasn't. Thank you

I do have a job to rake in money. I've just been hoping for something quantitative. I never did apply for internships so that's obviously hurting me now. These responses have lead me to decide to take a few programming classes at a local Community College while I work on the exams. Thanks for your replies.

I'm willing to put the work in. My dad is going to purchase TIA for me for my birthday. Any tips for SQL other than a college class?

Also, I've tried looking for a spring semester internship. But it seems all the companies I've come across are looking for exams for an intern. In the Boston area if that's where you are. Thanks.

Thank you for the reply.

This is not me.

Going to write Exam FM on the 24th. I have got all of the concepts down. I just need to sit down and do problems for several hours (over the next three days).

I'm trying to get an internship at Travelers (Hartford, CT) and pass Exams FM and P. Also, the books by Finan are high quality, in my opinion.

faculty.atu.edu/mfinan/actuarieshall/mainf.pdf

Experience:
>Calc. I,II,III
>In Diff. Eq. now at community college
>High school senior

You're taking a fucking exam as a higherschooler?

the exams aren't that hard, but it's impressive he's doing it as a highschooler

The hardest material you could find on the exam is integration. The rest is algebra and memorization. Remember, this is one of the first exams.