What is the point of doing pure mathematics if you're not going to use it for something useful like physics or...

What is the point of doing pure mathematics if you're not going to use it for something useful like physics or engineering or even economics?

it's fun

This has to be bait

If you master pure maths, you master everything, son. It also happens to be the most fascinating shit ever, so embrace it while you still can (past 12, if you don't master it, you never will). A 30-year-old mathematician is a dying man.

Not even in a physics or economy related job you will use those theorems, truth is most of the stuff you studied in college you'll never use it after graduating.

I get to be extremely pretentious and smug about knowing a lot of math in a world of people who actually brag about being bad at math.

Somebody will find a way to use it in the future, just like the conic sections.

I like pure math because I get to solve riddles/puzzles on a white board all day.

Literally my only reason.
I'll probably be an instructor who teaches reasoning/proof/combinatorics/discrete or some shit.

It's because autism is an epidemic.

>pure math major goes into economics
>tries to calculate the earning potential of a company
>company earned $10000 five years ago, then $20000, then $30000, then $40000, then $50000
>decides buying the company is a terrible decision as their net gain will be $[math] \frac{-10000}{12} [/math]
>gets fired

kek

>what's the point of manufacturing bricks if you don't build houses

Maybe there isn't a point.
Or maybe the point is learning.

Math isn't about being useful, as music ain't got no shit to do with usefulness. Sure can math b a good tool for approaching our real world but math is only recreation or discovery of an absolute truth (or discovery of the limits of human mind if you r an intuitionnist)

nice user

Holy kek

>economics
>useful

I am an economist and trust me it is not useful

FPBP

>economics
>aa social science
>useful
lol, take your pseudoscience back to /x/.

Lmao try studying serious work in those fields without any pure math

/thread

To brag about Veeky Forums about how smart you are.
People IRL will just think you're an autistic nerd.

Math is the only thing you can really know 100% for a fact. It's the language of the universe. It's everything.

Also it's fun. /thread

Economics, when applied successfully works wonders for the economy. Keynes, who advised Roosevelt during his administration, helped Britain, where he served, and America progress in terms of economic growth moreso than any other economic boom in history. I would like you to understand, the intricacies of economics are definable, and demonstrable in actuality, which is the only reason that any of Keynes' theories have any practicality.

When you talk about schools of economics which haven't been practiced by administrative governments, you may call them pseudocience, however even institutional analytical work on society like Praxeology as practiced by Von Mises helps understand things from a fundamentally situational perspective, much like how Keynes views the interest rate as being something relatively static like Mises or Fisher. It is a level set based on the reaction or anticipation of price rate changes with the realization of the effects fully effectuating themselves about one year after the rate of price change increases.

This proves that economics is not a pseudoscience because it is demonstrated in fact. In fact, Irving Fisher being so statistically rigorous, he has outlined inquiries into the statistical validity of his models and claims. This takes empirical to an entirely new level, it would be hard to deny his claim wouldn't be proven wrong at some point, but to say he isn't right most of the time, is asinine.

>rah rah rah rah words and fluff

if it's not falsifiable it's NOT A SCIENCE FAGGOT

I just said it was. Read my fucking post you retard before responding. I am absolutely disgusted that you would even consider yourself dignified enough to even post about the shit I'm talking about.

Irving Fisher considers it a very statistically relevant science.

>muh Fisher

if it's not falsifiable it's NOT A SCIENCE FAGGOT

Fine fine, it looks like I win this internet debate. Have it your way.

So that you can somehow feel superior to other people to compensate for your insecurity and deficiencies in every other aspect of your pathetic life

What do the math symbols on the bottom right panel mean?

The upside down triangle is the nabla operator and the signs are scalar product signs. Nabla_Y means you just consider the derivatives in direction of Y's components

besides Terry Tao and other exemplary experts and prodigies in math fields