Who /grader/ here?

Who /grader/ here?

What's the most embarrassing thing you've seen on an assignment or exam?

sin(2x)/sin(x) = 2x/x = x

But what level of education?

>student attempts a proof
>crucial part of proof ahead
>writes small and indecipherably because he doesn't know what the fuck he's doing at this point

shaking my head famalalama. Maybe it makes me cringe because I've done the same myself :-^)

2x/x = x

lmfao

he even got that wrong

>tfw now wondering if my professor goes on Veeky Forums

>invert paleo lab
>intro to trilobites
>"here, take any two of the lab specimens and draw them"
>"make sure to label whatever is visible"
>one student draws tiny vague oval with chicken scratch lines on it
>literally one thing labeled
>text picture of drawing to prof with "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME"

>same course, brachiopod/bryozoan lab
>same deal as before, ickle undergrads just need to identify the specimens and pick any two to sketch
>one student asks me if they're just supposed to copy down the generalized diagram I drew on the board
>no.

>same course, echinoderm lab
>students looking at the display cases around the room to help them identify the lab specimens
>one spots something that looks like what he's trying to identify
>reads the label: "Echinodermata, Crinoidea"
>writes down "Echinodermata"
>NO SHIT IT'S AN ECHINODERM, THESE ARE ALL ECHINODERMS

TAing that lab was pretty crazy, and let me just remind you that these were all upper level students who had previously taken historical geo

>leaves 3/4 of the exam blank
Why even bother to show up

I never understood why people do this. Generally speaking most graders are not trying to fuck you, and quite a few (but less) are actively trying to help you.

If I'm grading a problem and there's no solution but you put down some evidence that you tried, drew a diagram or graphed the function or sketched out a couple cases, literally _anything_ related to the question, you can have a point or two for that.

University freshman, Precalculus iirc, that was as far as you could simplify (reasonably) but she kept going

>that was as far as you could simplify
What?
sin(2x)/sin(x)=2sin(x)cos(x)/sin(x)=2cos(x)

>sin(2x)/sin(x) = 2x/x

small angle approximation

>2x/x = x

small x approximation

git gud

>these were all upper level students who had previously taken historical geo
Doesn't mean shit if the students are "upper level" or not, unfortunately. If your university isn't top-tier, then classes are shitty/easy enough that students can pass without learning anything.

I see shit like this all the time. Most notably, in an intro calculus class, students think [math]f(x + h)[/math] means "f times (x + h);" they don't know what a function is.

grading physix 1 exam, 'hardest problem' is car sdtarts with velocity, cop accelerated to catch it, what time, distance etc

best response: fuck 12

he got a 40% total (got some mc right)

I mean, this IS true.
I did my undergrad at top tier uni, went to meh school for M.S. (where this shit happened). but as much as it's a meh school, it actually has a decent geo program because of all the $$OIL EMONE$$ but so many of the undergrads are either brainlets or never got a decent high school education.

>ta for intro to programming lab
>second lab
>students need to write the fizz buzz test up too 100
>one guy made an if statement for every multiple of 3 and 5
>have to mark him right because it works

FP class, the language we use is Haskell and someone submits Java

I'm a math student but a few weeks back I also had to grade Civil Engineer's probability and statistics course (this is a second year course). I'd say only 30% of them got the most basic maximum likelihood question you could think of right, and 40% wrote complete nonsense. Most of these kids couldn't even properly work with logarithms or the sum notation.

>tfw my friends and I used to do this in almost all proofs and still got good marks
kek

yeah sin(2x)/sinx is much better than cos(2x)

fuck i'm autistic, 2cos(x) lol

Wait a minute, I had that exact problem on a test last spring. And I got a 41 on that test!

>AP Chemistry Teacher
>Supposed to be the brightest students in the school
>Give out sample quiz to gauge the level the students prior knowledge
>Question: Who designed the original concept for the Pierodic Table we use today
>One student answered: "i don't know but they should be kicked in the balls with golf cleats"

MFW

>Who designed the original concept for the Pierodic Table we use today
What a fucking gay-ass question for an AP chem course

it clearly showed their competency level, just like your post showed yours.

>not knowing basic concepts of chemistry
>not able to pick up on facts and data
>shows the level of how well they learn

no one can be this stupid right? are you trolling?

It's history trivia, it isn't remotely related to their competency level.

nothing is more embarassing imo than not even attempting an answer. even if you're just trying to bullshit by restating the prompt, at least you gave enough of a fuck to try

>implying profs grade exams
we're you're TAs, kid

you sound just like the student did.

Thanks for proving me right.

>we are you are TAs

Welp, I'm going to have my physics PhD soon, thankfully my students won't have to answer your shitty questions

we're scientists, not humanities majors

>yet you spend your time on an anime image board
>imma get my PHD to show you

uh huh

>buying into the "grad students have NO freetime" meme
I'm literally in my final year, thesis defense is coming up. Have fun teaching high school though

so insecure
how is highschool, kid?

>seething

lol

Jesus Christ you guys are cringey

Communication skills and writing skills are very important in science. Try getting a grant when your proposal has tons of grammar errors. I don't think they would want to give money to someone who can't use the right form between your and you're.

cry harder

oh nooooooooo, i made a spelling error on a philippino acid-etching fanzine, i'll never get a single grant in my life!!!!!!!!!!!

dude, correcting grammar on the internet is a Shit-Tier argument and reeks of desperation.

I always try to answer everything regardless, but sometimes I've had quizzes that I've had literally no clue on every question and didn't have time to make up something vaguely correct before I had to hand it in

how do you invert a paleo lab?

>internship my senior year of high school with physics professor at a shit school called southern polytechnic state university (which has since been bought out by another one)
>he wants me to help him with his phys 1001 lectures by writing out what he says on the board, demonstrating example problems, etc
>genuinely fun, I loved working with him, but despite being engineering students everyone in this lecture was somehow fucking retarded
>nothing but blank stares as we work through basic "I roll this ball off a table, how long before it hits the ground"-tier problems

I am genuinely terrified that this place was giving degrees to these people. The majority of the class would fail every test. But the best story was in lecture one day:

>setting up a simple free body diagram
>we've done dozens of these already
>breaking a force into components with trig functions
>professor: "Now, we need a trigonometric function for this component that is 0 at 0 degrees and 1 at 90 degrees. What is it?"
>blank stares
>"Nobody?"
>student shouts out "Gravity?"
>"Uh, no, not quite."
>one student assumes this was wrong because the other student didn't raise his hand, so he raises his and repeats "Gravity"
>"No guys, we need a trig function"
>another hand is raised
>"Up?"

even if you're getting a PhD which I HIGHLY doubt you are, nobody will ever respect you because you sound incredibly insecure with yourself and have anger fits like a 5 year old.

This

absolutely low hanging fruit and actually pseudointellectual bait ironically enough

It's not even low hanging fruit. the piece of fruit practically fell onto the ground when people start picking away at spelling mistakes.

Professor's fault for not requiring that the upper bound be given as an input

Where are you getting your PhD from? The University of Bullshit or Bullshit State?

By the way you post you sound like someone who'd be better suited for the state school.

Wrong

Why is it so hard to believe? Fellow PhD student here, it's just education and yes we need to take breaks and post retarded shit on Veeky Forums too

because the string of posts this user is making makes him sound like a 5 year old not that he posts on Veeky Forums.

You sound like a pedantic autist that can't handle the fact that asking trivia questions was called out. It is a shitty question after all and it's not something I'd ever put on a test if I had to teach undergrad scum.

there is a difference between posting retarted shit and sounding retarted. this user fell into the latter.

How does he sound like a 5 year old? The only thing he said was that knowing who designed the periodic table is more history than it is chemistry. And I think everyone here agrees with that. You're just mad because nobody agrees with your autistic viewpoint that AP chemistry should quiz students on Medeleev's life. That's like saying Ramanujan sucks at math because he's never heard of Euler.

see you sound like you're a PhD student. You don't sound retarted.

>everyone here agrees with that

thats a bold statment

If there are people out there that think chemistry is all about the periodic table's history, especially if those people are supposed to be graders (ie advanced enough to TA at a college level), then chemistry is even more normie tier than I thought.

think of every "genius" you know

now count how many are chemists

Not that I'm a TA or anything, but I know this story.
Science of constructions written exam:

(x * 10^10) / (y * 10^10) = (x/y) * 10^10

Architects, man

I've had multiple calc professors that would grade entire questions as wrong if you so much as wrote down the wrong symbol or something of thee sort.

Also, when using Pythagoras's theorem, one student asked if he could cancel out the squared root and the powers of two.

You can't be fucking serious.

Completely. I helped with the labs too, and those were probably worse. It was the same shit you'd do as a high schooler, rolling carts around and shit, with a lab notebook that told them every step of the way, gave them empty labeled tables, and held their hand the whole way through. And yet every fucking week, after we spent five minutes explaining everything, groups would call me over and just ask "What are we supposed to do" wanting me to essentially finish the lab for them.
I was 17 and had to help mid-20s soon-to-be-qualified-engineers like they were preschoolers making macaroni art. Makes me really, really appreciate the school I'm at now.

wew that's awful
post more

Let me guess, you were making them memorize it?

what trig function was it

I'm grading some sophomore chem homeworks right now and I just saw "more stabler" used twice.
There was also a nice 94 * 2 = 238

HOW DO THESE IDIOTS GET INTO COLLEGE? This is a sophomore level chemistry for engineers course. They can't even do basic arithmetic. I want to die.

Hyperbolic secant, you brainlet

I don't remember much else, just wrong answers but nothing that stuck out too much. I got pissed off one day when I walked in as the professor was lecturing and at least half of the class was dicking around on their laptops (several twitch streams, clash of clans on an ipad). That wouldn't bother me, but they were the same students who failed everything and desperately needed to listen.
There were a handful of really nice students that put effort in though, I liked talking to them after class and actually being able to explain things. Some were smart and trying to transfer out of that shithole, some tried really hard but just didn't grasp the content well. The day we taught angular momentum was fun because I showed them the tricks with a rotating platform and weights and spinning wheels, they loved that shit.

I don't TA but I tutor kids for part-time work. Shit that gets me:

[math] \frac{x+1}{x} = 1[/math]
[math] 2x = x+1 \rightarrow x = \frac{x+1}{2} \rightarrow x = \frac{x}{2}+1 [/math]
[math] -2 - 3 = 1 [/math]

Don't even get me started on the amount of times that I've had pre-calc and calculus students tell me they don't know how to work with fractions.

>Don't even get me started on the amount of times that I've had pre-calc and calculus students tell me they don't know how to work with fractions.
How does that work?

Not sure how they even make it that far but they suck at basic things. Imagine not being able to add two fractions with different denominators, not knowing what a reciprocal is, not knowing how to reduce fractions because there are variables instead of 2/4, not knowing how to apply exponents onto fractions, or knowing how to solve algebraic expressions that include, guess what, a fucking fraction.

Two-year college prof here. Intermediate algebra.

3x=9, subtracting 3 from both sides instead of dividing.

But still removing the 3? So like x=6?

>gravity
funny pasta.

lel is this bait ?
its sinus function m8......

Arctan(x) obviously.

no its a basic sinus function.....

I have some friends that go to KSU and they all basically say the same thing. I thought they were exaggerating but apparently not.

Arctan(x) is within the margin of error. :^)

Yeah, I was there in the fall semester of the last year before KSU bought them out. I'm not sure what happened to all those students or the professor I worked with, I should look into it. I'm at Tech now and enjoying it.
Where are you from if you know KSU kids? I'm from Kennesaw so half of my high school ended up there

I'm from Marietta. A lot of students at my old high school planned on going to KSU and transferring to Tech. Most of those teachers are still there, but some quit because of how terrible it's gotten.

What is happening in schools these days that prevents students from learning this basic stuff?

Have students always had this problem? Or, is it actually getting worse?

i am very worried i am going to find one of my mistakes in this thread

>if [math] A = XY [/math] then [math] A^n = X^n Y^n [/math] in general for matrices A,X,Y
just in case my old linear algebra professor is lurking

>Have students always had this problem? Or, is it actually getting worse?
It's always been a problem for some students, and it's gotten a bit worse over time as teaching methods changed and the primary job market has changed.

Entirely due to grade inflation/making standardized tests easier rather than students smarter.

Nowadays it isn't acceptable for little Johnny to get less than an A in math because HE WORKED SO HARD and his MOM HELPED HIM.

And if kids do bad on the state test? Well maybe the school system is underfunded as fuck and needs more money/better teachers/textbooks printed AFTER the Vietnam War instead of before. But try telling little Johnny's parents that in order for Johnny and his little friends to get the instruction he needs to ace the state test, taxes will have to go up by 0.5% over the next 5 years. FUCK YOU PAL. So you decide the exam easier.

...which is fine until Johnny gets into university, or God forbid, his first job. All this dumb shit only works for so long. Eventually, you have to pay the piper. You have to fucking know fractions if you're going to be a chemist, or a physicist.

I'm just scared for all the kids who somehow didn't get exposed/failed in college, somehow lied cheated and jerked off their professors enough to graduate from South Western Bible College of Central Appalachia. And now have engineering degrees that qualify them to test the integrity of bridges, or forensic science degrees that allow them to determine if a man goes away for a crime he didn't commit. Or the odds of a component of a space shuttle failing and causing a catastrophic hull failure during reentry.

It's really, really terrible how far this country has fallen. We used to take education seriously, and we were second bar none. Somehow, education became a right with none of the responsibility.

I knew a few people that were like this.

They all pretty much hated math because they never practiced, and thus couldn't retain anything. These types of people get this far by cramming right before important assignments and then forgetting the material afterwards.

Never expected to find somebody that close. Pretty cool

Plebs couldn't find an operator that e^x is an eigenfunction of...
Jesus, the instructor couldn't have asked an easier question so that they would pass and even then they fail...

>mfw I started in college algebra and worth my way all the way up the maths tree to multivariable calculus at a top 20 schooled, which I passed with a C
>mfw I was the 10% who don't end up fuckups

It took at least a thousand hours though. I was utterly and completely unprepared for college math. Didn't know fractions or exponents.

But I embraced it the challenge. When the teacher gave us 10 problems to do for homework in a section, I would do all 45. I made notes, flashcard, formula sheets and an autistic 'How to Solve' flowchart for problems I found exceptionally difficult. But of course I was just making up for the time I didn't spend math in high school.

>I co ming offise to day AAAAaaaa?

2cos(x) =/= sin(2x)/sin(x) if x=0.

The questions asked not to cancel if it caused a non-permissible value.

To be fair, Java has lambda now. :^)

they're not becoming engineers, don't worry.

the proper way to handle this situation is to just plow straight through it and act like the part you can't do is self-evident

if you do it well enough you don't even lose any marks for it

>Elementary Stats
>cancer drug study
>reject Null Hypothesis that drug remission rate ≤ that of placebo
student concludes placebo causes more cancer than drug

tfw no vietnamese non-english speaking math gf