Nanoassembler General

Hey Veeky Forums, would you guys be up for designing a nanoassembler?

It would be an open source hardware design, the idea being that any university could use ideas from our work to accelerate their own research/prototype.

Together we could accelerate the technology timeline and benefit humanity.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotaxane
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diamond_Age
molecularassembler.com/KSRM/4.11.2.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So like automated beaker stirring and pouring at set pressures and temps?

I get that technically that counts as nanotech but you know what I'm saying.

A general purpose desktop nanoassembler is what I'm talking about.

Would you like to help out?

For liposomes?

I was thinking more along the lines of a general purpose nanoassembler.

But if you wanted to design nanobots that the nanoassembler could fabricate, then I would be happy to help.

What's this open sourse bs? If I made a nanoassembler I'd patent it and sell it to microprocessor companies.

What would be the point? If you made an open source nanoassembler design then everyone would have a nanoassembler in a few years.

Humanity would go from a kardashev scale 0 to 1 in the span of a decade.

Wealth would be irrelevant. Everyone would be able to make anything and we would be able to fabricate robots for labour.

Don't be an ideas man

if you have an idea you'll have to atleast get a proof of concept yourself

let's design dildos instead

i took one semester of organic chemistry am i good 2 go

Gb2 /leftypol/ you dirty commie

This is a very advanced topic and we need a multi-disciplinary approach.

There is an absolute dearth of research or designs being done in the area of general purpose nanoassemblers.

Veeky Forums is a great place because of the huge variety of the majors. If we worked together we could accomplish a great deal for humanity.

Good to have you onboard.

Do you have any book recommendations concerning nanomaterials?

Now is not the time for dildos, that part comes later.

You can be a capitalist and still want to do altruistic things and donate your time.

it's useless. You can spend all day sketching out designs for nanomachines(a number of people have done this), but that doesn't mean you can make them. The biggest and most crucial issue with building a nanofactory is if diamonoid mechanosynthesis works at all. Diamonoid mechanosynthesis has NEVER been demonstrated in the real world. In addition, the tooltips necessary to carry out mechanosynthesis are not well characterized. If we don't know the specs for the most basic and important tools in the system, we can't do shit. Diamonoid mechanosynthesis will likely require something more than just moving atoms into positions, there is a good chance that force will need to be carefully controlled too.

Diamonoid mechanosynthesis is just the start, we don't have a fucking clue how to make things other than crystalline carbon right now. Molecular bearings, tubes, and the crazy thing in pic related? We have no idea. If we don't know how to make things, we can't figure out if the things we are designing can even be made at all.

you mean something like this?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotaxane

Okay, so then we could focus on the area of mechanosynthesis.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

That's certainly related.

But as this user pointed out mechanosynthesis seems to be the starting point for all this.

Well then learn computational quantum chemistry. Computational quantum chemistry is a huge pain in the ass. It requires huge amounts of computational power, takes a long time, and in the end isn't all that accurate.

Calculations take days at the very least.

I thought they meant more Diamond Age.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diamond_Age

bump

So let's start with a simpler question.

How do we place carbon (or silicon) molecules in a temporary way without sticking to anything?

Should we start by figuring out what substrate would be used as our "workbench" or should we figure out how to combine only certain molecules at a time?

Is it possible to use electrons beams to cause molecular bonding? I'm thinking electron beam because light beams are far too wide.

Good luck building something that small

Wanna help? I could be alot of fun.

We could fabricate waifus.

anything that small with those extreme tolerances would degrade after a few uses.

That's why molecular biology exists.

>>We could fabricate waifus.
>anything that small with those extreme tolerances would degrade after a few uses.
It's true. The most fattening food on the planet is wedding cake.

kek

One problem at a time.

What material could we use that wouldn't generate static forces that would bond to whatever we were working on.

What's the material that would be our workbench?

none. They all have static properties. Your best bet is to neutralize the charge... like in a buffer system... Like in biological engineering.

But that leads back to trying to re-purpose cellular machinery to perform molecular manipulations again.

This isn't practical on an industrial scale.

I'm trying to to think. Feel free to bounce ideas.

Could we use a noble gas? I was assuming that a nano-fabricator would operate under a vacuum but how about a noble gas?

Okay I'm approaching this wrong.

We only have to build one nanoassembler and then it could make others that would be able to operate at room temperature.

The first one could operate at extremely cold temperatures and use noble gasses that solidify to form a molecular workbench.

This would solve the static problem if I'm not mistaken.

>Isn't practical on an industrial scale

Do you not realize that biological engineering has an industry?

Sorry I meant general purpose nanoassembly.

Biological nanobots could be useful but they would be time consuming to reprogram and they are limited in the products that they could make.

They could never fabricate electronics or consumer goods. They could produce medicine though.

>biological nanobots
>enzymes

Wait, do Ribosomes not count as biological nanobots?

Genuine question.

I would classify them as that. That's what I was saying

Okay.

So do you have any ideas on overcoming the electrostatic forces that fuck with nanofabrication?

I just don't think we could make a general purpose nanofabber out of protein.

Buffer systems.

Enzymes don't always construct proteins. There are metal ion chelating proteins, there are helicases, ligases, leucine zippers.

Have you read about protein functions at all? Ribosomes aren't even enzymes. They are rybozymes.

>I just don't think we could make a general purpose nanofabber out of protein.

What is spider silk?

I haven't read about protein functions beyond a basic level.

So are you saying that we could get proteins to fabricate the parts for a nanofabricator and then assemble the parts?

>mutant goat tits are general purpose nanofabbers
k

it's a start. We haven't put much money into the project. Plus, there's ethical issues with growing that many mutant goats

>what is a virus

>there's ethical issues with growing that many mutant goats

This should be a Veeky Forums banner

/g/ here, I'll design the logo

Santa Cruz Biotechnology?

What the fuck am I looking at

Its like a bunch of Lewis ball and stick models being held on a conveyer belt.

Just some pseudo-intellectual that doesn't understand that the conveyor belt needs to be at that scale.

Liposomes don't work, they are too sensitive and will fuse with any lipid structures indiscriminately

Okay, lets explore this option.

Could we use a virus to program a ribosome to make parts for a nanoassembler?

This might solve the electrostatic problem.

What electrostatic problem?!?

Molecular engineers USE electrostatics to bind atoms to other atoms

Dude, you're either an idiot or a really bad troll. I'm out

No, I was saying talking about the substrate that you assemble the molecules on.

Not the pieces that would bind to other molecules to make the parts.

Why? Polyethylene doesn't spontaneously turn into CO2 and H2O on its own, even though oxygen constantly bumps into it.

How do you neutralize van der waals forces?
>>use a noble gas
that has been proposed before:
molecularassembler.com/KSRM/4.11.2.htm
what noble gases? How do you place a noble gas atom?

>>biological engineering has an industry
more like bio-clepsy if you ask me. We are currently incapable of designing biological systems from scratch and having them work. Instead we just use/steal biological that already exist.

>>they would be time consuming to reprogram
>>They could never fabricate electronics or consumer goods
why do you say that?

>>the electrostatic forces that fuck with nanofabrication?
what electrostatic forces?

>>buffer systems
how do buffer systems interfere with electrostatic forces?

why does spider silk imply that we can build a general purpose nanofabber out of protein? Can proteins not make things out of silicon or diamond?

why would it solve the electrostatics problem?

So mechanosynthesis, or being able to cause atoms to form bonds with each other in specified places using controlled mechanical forces could enable us to trivially fabricate structures that are difficult to synthesize using solution chemistry if it works.

>what noble gases? How do you place a noble gas atom?
I don't know, if it was cold enough to be a solid then you could control it easier.

>why do you say that?
The more I`m reading the more attractive biological nanobots are looking.

>what electrostatic forces?
Not a physics major, all I know is that when things are that small they tend to stick to each other

>why would it solve the electrostatics problem?
I`m not sure, I know that in cells things only bind to the sites that they are meant to (usually).

In all honestly my undergrad was basic bitch biology courses, statistics and math. I`m more a jack of all trades but I have the ability to self teach myself and I`m good for all maths just shy of upper level calculus.

I`ll happily look up any recommendations you have, but it will take me time to learn.

It's an educational toy factory.