So, it's spook season, and I've got to know; are any of Stephen King's novels worth reading?

So, it's spook season, and I've got to know; are any of Stephen King's novels worth reading?
What's Veeky Forums's opinion on his writings?

The Shining, Misery, and IT are all pretty acceptable. Pet Semetary is low quality prose he shat out but is top tier scary. The first Gunslionger isn't scary but as an experimental novel done on loads of drugs it is probably his finest.

Some people cream over Cujo, Carrie, and The Shining but they arent very good IMO

Skeleton Crew is a pretty great selection of short stories. The Jaunt alone is fucking excellent.

Everything's Eventual has some of King's best short stories imo. 1408 scared the shit out of me

I read some of his short stories like the langoliers and they were pretty good. I just got done with Needful Things yesterday, would definitely recommend it but it takes some patience to get through the first quarter or so. Anyone read other horror authors?

>Some people cream over Cujo, Carrie, and The Shining
I mean The Stand

Veeky Forums's opinion is a spook user.

This, I cant imagine defining my opinion by this guy

He looks like if his book thing didnt take off, he'd be the kind of serial killer that would wear a person's skin after eating them.

I read a lot of his books when I was younger. The prose quality is about the same for most of them. Their only value is the plot, so just look up which one has the stuff you're most interested in and read it. While many people claim the endings are absolutely nonsensical, that's pretty rare.

what's wrong with his faaaace

If I had any gripe about his stories, it would be his insistence that every story have a good vs evil plot in some way or another

Salem's lot is his best desu.

It is his masterpiece.
The Stand and The Shining are pretty good too.

Also he's written hundreds of pretty decent short stories, you can just read a few of them.

I met the dude while in Maine. Complete fluke.
I'm 100% convinced the guy has at least 8 bodies buried in his basement.
At the very least he probably has the most massive CP collection in world history.

He's just really creepy and autistic. Something terrible about him will be discovered after he dies.

The Stand

>watching anime and a anime girl is reading The Stand

This; it's all these small-town horror clichés beautifully rolled into one. Extremely comfy at times, too. Kind of a Twin Peaks vibe.

Lol

Koontz is better, user

Where to start with him?

Neil Gaiman

He's good at getting money.
Every-time I've tried to read a stephen king novel,
I wanted to throw up three pages in.
He is literally an ad.

That image shouldn't be as disturbing as it is

Jack Ketchum is better.

Start (and end) with Misert and Pet Semetary.

Someone say spooks?

I found Rage interesting. Physical copies are hard to come by because it might or might not have been responsible for IRL school shootings but I thought it was neat.

In general I like how generically American he can make his work feel if that makes sense. Hollywood obviously can't present anything realistic but King's books feel like they're describing what American's are actually like.

I started reading IT because clowns and it is absolute shit.

Just read his short stories.

Reading Wizard and Glass and half of anything Eddie says makes me cringe with his basic ass shit phrases

It started quite well desu, it went down the sewer (geddit) after that. It's too long and drawn out at times, and the plot is very poor in some places.

I reckon the stand and the shining are the only books worth reading. His short stories aren't bad at all though.

Thisespecially his short work - 15 Cards from a Vampire Tarot is great

>only two mentions of 'Salem's Lot
Disgraceful. Without a doubt one of, if not the most, cohesive and enjoyable reads in his Bibliography.

IT, if extremely bloated and with terrible prose, is probably the best novel he wrote. It's one of the few books that I would seriously reccomend reading in translation because it would be hard to make King's prose WORSE, but he at least attempted to foray into some pretty interesting themes and the plot itself is fine

The epilogue is also very good as far as I remember. It's probably what I liked the most in the whole book

The ending was utter dogshit though. Very anticlimactic.

>The Jaunt alone is fucking excellent

Literally one of the scariest, mind-bending things I've ever read.

That's most of his work, though. For me at least, by that point I was satisfied with what I'd read, and could stomach a little bit of a drop at the end.