Did pure math. Don't qualify for any skilled jobs

Completed pure math. Ironically only jobs I qualify for all jobs that don't require technical skills. I might have as well majored in Sociology.

Other urls found in this thread:

payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/graduate-degrees?page=7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no shit moron. you need a PhD for anyone to trust you with literally anything, because that's who you're competing with.

>Programming
No
>Statistics for Data Science
Only took Pure Math courses, not Stats
>Marketing
No
>HR
No
>Finance
No
>Network Engineer
No
>Teacher
No

Basically 0 skills. Ability to prove shit means nothing. It's like having a philosophy degree. You have to make up shit about how your skills translate to X ability that matches a job description which you aren't qualified for.

sorry your parents lied to you like this. a degree doesn't guarantees much. now start selling stuff to people if you want to make money or keep on studying if you want to be a professor

I want to get a PhD but in a different field. I have to pay for the course differential. Then apply.

Woooow so your precious pure math degree requires a PhD to be useful? You do realize that most degrees will get you a job right out of college, right?

I don't know man, I got a job as a programmer with only a degree in math. It is not like I have any certs or anything.

You are just lazy.

That said, as someone with a job, don't get fucking fooled. Get a PhD and become a university professor right fucking now. Don't look for a job.

LOL

meanwhile, I , as a brainlet software engineer, got a 83k job straight out of undergrad.

mathematics master race huh?

but are they 300k starting, any job i want?

how, most interviews ask cs questions from courses i never took

thing is I can program and program well. but icompanies around here look for sexy frameworks in shit i never worked with, mostly web shit.

i studied theoretical cs but can program in java well. but these companies want 3-4+ years experience but knowledge in react, node, or whatever the fuck

>most interviews ask cs questions from courses i never took

I was never asked a hard CS question. Just general programming and basic algorithms shit.

>i studied theoretical cs

If you already study pure math why would you fuck yourself up more by studying theoretical CS? The only bit of theoretical CS I have ever read has been the most basic of basic algorithm shit. All I really studied has been programming.

It is a bit dumb to study two theoretical fields.

>not knowing how to program
Oh, so you're one of the idiot math majors who does nothing outside the field. I've met a lot of you guys. Pretty embarrassing lot.

my pure math interest was mostly in theoretical cs. but i did really well in my programming classes... like i said most tech companies here seem to want the latest tech stack expertise ... shit they don't teach in school.

i want to get a phd in cs anyways... but will focus in more applied

yeah because initially i just wanted to do math, i later took cs courses but didn't help with job situation. most local tech companies dont give a shit about cs courses, they want latest tech stack knowledge

Do research (unless you're a brainlet)

i published didnt help companies dont care

i'll continue to do a phd

I meant, as a job, not just to pad some CV, because pure math usually leads to this position if you are succesful. Who cares about companies when you've got maths.

Let this be a lesson to any undergraduate on this board. Diversify your education, your lessons don't stop as soon as you leave the lecture hall.

This is a very competitive world. If you're in STEM you need experience in:

>Programming
>Applied Mathematics
>Grant writing
>Tutoring
>Research presentation
>Resume / CV writing

There are plenty of things out there that will propel you farther than your cohorts, but there's no point in listing them as they can be field dependent. This whole idea of "bare minimum" is not going to work in your favor when you hit the job market. Anyone can get good grades with effort, but going above and beyond your curriculum is key.

Not saying OP is lazy, but there's so much more he should have / still can do.

I wonder what kind of shit-tastic garbage spaghetti code bullshit mathfags write

better code than you, brainlet

do graph theory faggot

At least I went into this shit knowing what I was getting into. If you cared about getting a job that requires technical skills, then why didn't you study something that taught you technical skills?

>Ability to prove shit means nothing
Why did you study math then? You went into this shit with unrealistic expectations.

>hate engineering curriculum
>can't get a job with physics/math

WHAT PROGRAM DO I ENROL INTO!!?

Getting my bachelor's in pure maths then I'm getting the FUCK out. Probably gonna become an actuary, make that cash money ayy ya feel me 360 nigga weeeed

>It's a "Veeky Forums got into the pure autism math major" again
>These fagets belive they will get a job just like that as an actuary
>No programming experience to work for NSA so gets welfare instead
LMAO@YOURLIFE everyone who is a pure autism major.

Good luck being a high school teacher on a 90% black neighbourhood with 22 year olds on 4th grade, famalam.

Regards.

Stats.

>stats

i'd rather be a math teacher than touch that shit

And no one at the university explained this to you?
Lame.

>Statistics PhD
>105k starting early career, can go over 131k mid career and way more if you go to Wall St.
>Applied Math MS
>68k starting early, mid career can go to 121k or more

>(Pure or General) Math PHD
>Just 85k starting a.k.a college professor, 101k starting mid career, obviously pay from NSA if you got programming skills, else, you're fucked

Really tickles your brain, huh?

Source: payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/graduate-degrees?page=7

On the contrary, have you ever considered that nothing else is genuinely interesting? This is what's really going on.

>jobs: normies herp derp arithmetic money derp terp I like golfing

>politics: herp derp let's blow things up

>religion: sky cake no fuck you sky salami fuck you stab

>women: buy me things and be seen to have social status as if it's something you actually care about terp

next to these, a quiet life of tuning out the world and whiling away life with music and math starts to make a lot of sense.

>Ironically only jobs I qualify for all jobs that don't require technical skills
Are you loving it?

This. Math programming, music and languages for me. I could easily find ways to keep myself occupied with those all day if only economy would allow it for me.

But one needs a jahb for money to pay rent and relieve parents of their fear of having a failure son, a relationship to not seem like a weirdo and at least some social contexts e.t.c. to not be seen as an outsider or loser.

If one puts time and energy into all that, then how on earth is one gonna have the time for all the fun exciting stuff in life.

OP here I didn't care about jobs at 17-18. I did math because I enjoyed it.
I loved pure math... now I'm intentionally switching from pure math to do a PhD in CS.

I realize I can take graduate level math courses and study math on the side and still get a non-academic job coming out of my PhD.

I learned later but hey I learned