Shakespeare Deniers Battle Thread

All Shakespeare deniers are welcome to fight me, ITT.

>believing a man who couldn't even sign his own name wrote those works

Check out the kino Anonymous. It sums up my beliefs quite well.

>believing the man couldn't sign his own name...

Please, user. Try harder. All the signatures are from after he got sick.

Funny movie. A funny work of fiction.

Only people who are ignorant about Shakespeare’s work and times would think that.

First, Shakespeare’s family was not that poor. His father was even mayor of the Stratford for some time, and his mother was from a well-known rural family. It’s probable (almost certain) that William went to a Grammar School for quite some time, and do you know what they taught at schools that time? The name “Grammar Schools” already says a lot. Yeah, that’s right: grammar, especially Latin grammar. History and the Sciences were hardly a subject of teaching, but Latin and English, figures of speech, rhetoric, oratory, Ovid, Virgil, Seneca, metaphors and similes – that was the main thing kids learned at that time. It’s probable that a kind in Elizabethan England schools was having a better education to invest in a poetry career than people on literature courses on University in our own time.

Also, Shakespeare’s works are filled with imagery based on things that a country boy would have witnessed himself. More than that, it is know that Shakespeare’s father worked as a glover and owned a tannery, and images of making gloves and working with the skin of lambs and cattle are to be found only on Shakespeare’s work.

Finally, Ben Jonson was also a child of a poor middle class family and did not attend any University, and still he was one of the most learned man of his time in the subject of Latin and Greek literature.

*And Anonymous is ridiculous. There is a scene where the other playwrights of the time are asking what iambic pentameter is and saying that is incredibly difficult to write a whole play on it. Now, everyone who knows only a bit about those times is well aware that the pentameter line was the standard form for dramatic writing. How could the screen-writers create such a scene?! Is fucking retarded.

>repeatedly sued people over small sums
>no mention of books or works in will

What does that have to do with anything? Irrelevant.

>no mention of books or works in will

The will was written on his deathbed. Why would he care who got his books or list everything out? He left the house and all its contents to his family.

He did? Petty litigations aren't what I'd associate with Shakespeare.

I would, but I think Shakespeare is pretty cool. So I guess there's not much for me to say.

demonstrates he cared about small amounts of money. books and manuscrpits are valuable. he specified his "second best bed" in his will but neglected what would have been his most valuable property (plays)?

>demonstrates he cared about small amounts of money

what in the fuck do you suppose? that those intelligent and 'genius' are infallible humans that needn't care for trifles?

in a vacuum i don't care about him caring about money. i do care that he cares about money but NOT what would be his most valuable property.

>demonstrates he cared about small amounts of money.

So? Maybe he was petty? Who knows why he was suing whoever he sued. Regardless, his lawsuits were no different than other landowners of the time and region.

>books and manuscrpits are valuable.

More valuable than the house and all its contents? Including the books?

>he specified his "second best bed" in his will but neglected what would have been his most valuable property (plays)?

Him specifying the second best bed was symbolic. And publishing was different back then. There's only one playwright, Ben Jonson, who wrote for posterity and was nitpicky about his plays and his playwriting legacy.

and iirc he's recorded to have filed at least 3 lawsuits for less than $500 in today's money. hardly comparable to the value of the library required of, and produced by, the author of the works attributed to shakespeare.

>More valuable than the house and all its contents? Including the books?
in that era, yes.

but since you obviously knew him personally for him to have told you that bequeathing his second best bed to his wife was symbolic i guess he also told ypu he wrote the plays.

>what would be his most valuable property

what you would consider his most valuable property*
stop injecting your own, highly biased opinions, thanks

You guys, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Hi, OP,

I'd like to fight you, say something about Shakespeare, and I'll deny it

Best wishes,
—user

>in that era, yes.

Oh stop, user. That's just silly. You could buy bootleg copies of Shakespeare's work. Not to mention the theater company likely owned the rights and were still performing his work when he died. "Originals" of an artists work were simply just not as valuable then as they are today.

>but since you obviously knew him personally for him to have told you that bequeathing his second best bed to his wife was symbolic i guess he also told ypu he wrote the plays.

Okay, now I know you're just being silly or are no older than 12.

Do you really read part of his post, then stop, and reply, and then read the rest, and reply to it separately, or are you aiming for some obscure senilostylistic effect, as if you were a goldfish?

"Valuable"

Playwrights were dirty hipsters of their time. Nobody wanted their low-brow peasant garbage. Most folios of poets at that time were only released after their death, often against their will.

>Do you really read part of his post, then stop, and reply, and then read the rest, and reply to it separately,

It depends.

>or are you aiming for some obscure senilostylistic effect,

I hadn't thought anything about style or effect. It was just how I happened to direct my answers.

>as if you were a goldfish?

Where is this reference from?

playwrights didn't own their plays they weren't his property

Is this your first day on the internet?

ELIZABETH wrote the plays.
GHENGHIS wrote the poems.

Well that's because most ppl prefer the plays and sonnets

why do you care who wrote his plays? is
>muh everyman genius
so important to you?