The first person to live to 150 is likely alive right now

>the first person to live to 150 is likely alive right now
>your generation and people under 40 will likely be a generation of centenarians

Have I been memed my whole life or is this something possible?

Ever since like 8th grade I had science teachers telling me this shit. What are your thoughts Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Extreme longevity treatments, were they to exist, could not be shared with everybody or we'd run out of space pretty damned fast.

Why would you want to though? Your body deteriorates which isn't that bad if prosthetics get good enough, but your brain turning to mush is scary. Fuck being a vegetable for 50 years.

>>your generation and people under 40 will likely be a generation of centenarians
i don't see why this would be the case, not without a actual anti-aging therapy

Even if longevity technology becomes "a thing," what makes anyone think they will be affordable and available for everyone? This sis a capitalist society - the technology to allow someone to live 150, 200, even an indefinite amount of years would be available only to the richest, most powerful people around.

no point in living past 100, mind and body barely functional

Can you bunch fuck off already? You get called out in every single thread and it's becoming painfully apparent that you come in, drop a shitpost, then leave, because you never learn.

i imagine demand would be very high for longevity treatments. i wouldn't want to be the " evil rich guy" looking over my shoulder all the time at the people i held back the technology from.

This isn't even true. We could end natural death today for all 7.5 billion people and we wouldn't have real problems with over-population for decades.

150 seems feasible for the top 1%. Remember that people generally don't live longer today because of diseases and disorders that arise with old age. Our increased life expectancy is largely related to our ability to combat these diseases. As that increases, as does our life expectancy. You have the best chance of this if you micromanage your health (exercise, sleeping, diet, brain activity) for most of your life and if you get replacements for organs.

If you take an old mouse and replace all its organs with organs from a younger clone, what health problems will the old mouse still have that eventually kill it?

This has to be something that has already been studied a ton, right? I just don't know what to type into google to find out what happens. Also, the same thing, but with bone marrow replacement.

Reminder that the top 1% globally is pretty much all of the Western World making over $50k a year.

"For decades" is not all that long if you are going to live forever.

Are you replacing the brain?

they probably don't have the rejection problem fixed yet, i assume old mice and young still have really different immune systems

I meant replacing everything that we currently know how do replace.

I would have thought that we could easily make genetically identical mice by now. I guess not being able to do that explains why some research takes so long.

There's no way I'm gonna make it too 100.

the brain would degrade regardless, it has a finite amount of storage space

>There's no way I'm gonna make it too 100.
>too 100

you'll be lucky to make it to tomorrow retard

Immune system deficiencies and autism are increasing exponentially. Whatever gains were made (people living older but painfully and more miserably), will soon be lost. Long-term cell-phone radiation brain damage will limit one's ability to heal from disease. And soon, antibiotics mostly will be useless and we'll be back to a time when mere scratches can and usually kill. Or, hopefully, something good happens to change this hell on earth into a heaven on earth.

Do you really wanna look like the man in OP's picture? That's not a real life, that's just suffering in decaying body. It's hard to live past 70 or 80's, not to say about 150

i fucking lol'd

Are you a world renowned biologist that has confirmed this in your research?

>Long-term cell-phone radiation brain damage will limit one's ability to heal from disease. And soon, antibiotics mostly will be useless and we'll be back to a time when mere scratches can and usually kill. Or, hopefully, something good happens to change this hell on earth into a heaven on earth.

Citation needed for all of those.
Antibiotic abuse is definitely an issue but you can thank nonwhite/Japanese countries for that.

... do you think old people gain have poor coordination, slow reflexes and forgetful memories because their lungs aren't 20 years old any more?

Not concerned about it, I am waiting for the day I'll be able to transcend my physical form and inhabit internet...

...forever

I hope you like cats.

>The brain can't dump knowledge

>Even if cellphone technology becomes "a thing," what makes anyone think they will be affordable and available for everyone? This sis a capitalist society - the technology to allow someone to talk 150 m, 200 m, even an indefinite amount of distance from a landline would be available only to the richest, most powerful people around.

The cost of the treatment is not why you can't let the masses live forever, too.

why can't you?

cellphones are a special case considering that their utility goes up as more people use them.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect

Lots of good things are cheap and lots more good things are expensive but I really don't know about something like immortality

>tfw I'm 22
>don't want to live to be 100
>don't want to live to be 23

kek

this may shock you user but the majority of people are not suicidally depressed

after 60 you're pretty much a walking corpse. why the fuck would you want to suffer that existence for at least another 40 years.

Because extending your total years by 10 years will extend your functional years by 10 years too. These two things are not independent of each other.

if anything, i'd argue that people who lived to 60+ in the past were in better shape than nowadays.

My neighbor is my great-grandmother. She turns 100 in a week. Her mom died at like 105 and her grandma was much the same. She went blind in one eye before I was born. She developed arthritis during the Nixon administration. She has been unable to walk any length of time since before 9/11. By the time most women were expected to get jobs she was already at retirement age. She remembers when her village got electricity. Literally everyone she knew before the age of 40 is dead. I asked her what it's like, and she said it's not her world. It hasn't been her world for decades. She wants to see her friends again. She wants to die.

Until you have lived with a relic of a dead age you cannot understand how horrifying it is to live such an existence.

>>the first person to live to 150 is likely alive right now
Yes, if he made it through the Black Plague, he'd be over 3,000 years old now.

The cost of the rockets.

>implying she wouldn't go back to being a filthy whore if we could somehow rejuvenate her.

Tell her that if she hadn't being such a dumb bitch she could've gotten with the times.

Anybody who undergoes an organ transplant has to take steroids and/or immunosuppressants for the rest of their life to prevent the body from rejecting the organ. These medications greatly increase your risk of cancer and other illnesses. Organ replacement is not a valid form of longevity treatment unless those organs are made with your own DNA.

is this a meme?

it's like being a runescape classic player playing rs3 except 100x

My great-grandmother is in her 90s. My grandfather died last year along with his brother.

She still wants to live knowing the people she loved is dead, but finds life too beautiful to give up on and there is other people in her family and new friends who need love.

Now shut the fuck up with your post.

>She still wants to live knowing she's free to suck all the cocks she wants now.
ftfy faggot

The Australian open this year :
Women's: s.williams (35) def. V. Williams (36)
Mens: federer (35) def. Nadal (30)
It was like we went back in time 15 years.

To get there, they had to beat many players in their teens to mid 20s too.

Medicine is just getting that much better.

When I turn 100 I will piss and shit on your grave.
And there's nothing you can do about it.

Worst comparison ever. Congratulations on being the most retarded person on this fucking board.

you won't even remember your own name well before that.

because we can't adequately distribute resources to the people we have today

imagine if they stopped dying

Biological Immortality/Longevity =/ True Immortality

Its a meme. The heart no longer gets enough oxygen to function around year 125. Thats the limit to natural human life, and you need to live very healthy ir be genetically gifted to make it within 10 years of that

You won't remember anything cause you will be busy rotting in the ground.

>get new lungs and heart
>stem cells create health red blood cells

?

>She wants to see her friends again. She wants to die.
Go over there right now and inform her that god isn't real, and that her... kind... are not welcome here.

My paternal grandfather was the first male in his bloodline, traced back to the 11th century, to live beyond 80, he died a week prior to turning 81.
My maternal grandfather died at 65, the oldest in his line traced back to his family's arrivel in 1647 as slaves in Virgina.
Maternal grandmother died at 50, her mother lived to 40 and all know relatives died around the same age
Paternal grandmother lived to be 101, Danish, all her siblings and parents all lived a similar life length
My father died at 55, my mother at 57, my older brother has a stroke at 30 and died at 33

Not expecting a long life, planing for 50 and anything beyond will be a gift

Wife's family, northern Italian, all live past 100, her great grandmother and grandfather on bother sides are still alive and living on their own, one of them at 103, rides his bike to town for daily Mass

Lifestyle is a part, but genetics is a bigger part

Imagine living to 150, pension supposed to last 80 years? Longer in retirement than in the workforce, new retirement age 130, long time to ask if people want fries with that.

>slowly replace old parts with new 3D printed new parts
The only limit to how long you'll stay alive is now the brain, we need to dump all our science into understanding the brain so we can repair/rejuvenate it.

Understanding the brain means there won't be a need for humans.

There have already been humans who lived hundreds of years and people who live to 1000 might be alive today.

Humans didn't disappear after the industrial revolution; we didn't stop working when we produced machines to do all our work.

We're not nihilist or utilitarian enough to remove ourselves because of our understanding of thinking.

Humans have never truly been obsolete because their capabilities have never truly been replicated. If they are replicated, then they will become obsolete.

Sd cards yo

Solvable problem

None have been verified, though.

IIRC There was a guy that claimed to be like 300 in China.

Maternal grandparents were chainsmokers and alcoholics so died in their 60's. Paternal grandfather died in 80's but was overweight, diabetic, and had a stroke. Paternal grandmother is I believe 87 and kicking. Has a 90+ year old sister.

Maternal side other than drug-addicted grandparents typically made it to 80's+, two made it to 105+

wat

You guys are missing the point. The goal is not to prolong old age for a few more decades or even indefinitely, but to figure out how to rejuvenate the body and maintain that (or let it age and rejuvenate it periodically.) It's increasingly looking like that is achievable in the near future. If/when that happens the interesting question becomes how long will you want to go on living, barring accidental death. We might reach a point where deciding to end your life will be a question of simple boredom—say if you've already done everything you ever wanted and nothing excites you anymore after a few hundred years.

Boredom is a result of neurological degradation.

>upload mind to computer
>computer simulates endorphins, serotonin, cocaine, THC, psychedelics and any other fucking drug you want.
>be in a perpetual happy state for all existence

The only reason we have negative thoughts at all is because we aren't happy enough.
We have negative thoughts about living forever because we think we won't be happy forever.