Calculus I vs Analysis I

>Reading my curriculum to daydream about the future
>See something weird
>Calculus I is worth 5 credits, but Analyss I is worth 4 credits.
>Calculus II is worth 5 credits, but Analysis II is worth 4 credits

This really made me think. What does this mean? Is it
a) Calculus is relatively harder than Analysis.
b) Calculus covers less than Analysis

Which one is it?

>b) Calculus covers less than Analysis
Meant Calculus covers more than Analysis

It's called an "arbitrary decision"

I don't know, post the syllabus of each.

A normy who does calculus is considered a genius and gets 5 points.

A brainy who has already proven he's too smart by completing calculus will only get 4 extra points since by that point he's already collected a lot of maths credits and proven his math smarts.

think about it

One class involves not only understanding the math, but being able to use the math, and then applying the math to solve broad real world situations.

The other class mostly involves nodding at a professor while he "proves" an infinite sum of positive reals equals -1/12, in various ways.

Really should be 6 v 2 CR honestly

Doesn't that just imply that you're expected to spend less time on Analysis?
In Denmark the credits are directly tied to time, such that 1 ECTS point = 27-28 hours of study.

>Analytic continuation
>Analysis 1/2

Wew lad.

>post the syllabus of each.

I only have the syllabus for calculus one, as I already took it.

I don't even know who the analysis professor is/would be so I don't know who to ask for the syllabus.

Calculus easy point to everyone.
Analysis meh only nerdy.

Is there not a schedule of classes online? At my school we can access syllabi from all past courses.

There is only the entire curriculum. What those classes entail can only be conjectured from what is market as a pre-requisite for that class. But I assume it will just be a standard analysis course.

> 1 ECTS point = 27-28 hours of study

Is that including the supposed 1.5 hours for every hour of lecture bullshit?

> Calculus
> Math smarts
> kek

"calculus" is the term for analysis that has been dumbed down for physicists

My calculus courses are 18 credits, what does it mean? I'm not in the U.S. btw

How could we know without knowing what country you live in? Could either be a small number of credits or a large number of credits depending on the context.

Your average math class is 10 credits.

In my country I forgot to add (México)

One probably has a "lab" component and the other doesn't.

generally, 1 credit = ~50 minutes of instruction (meaning class+lab+recitation)

you'll see that nearly all your classes follow this pattern

Calc 1 probably had 3x50min or 2x75min each week, then recitation periods on top.

Also calc1/2 tend to have very long homework assignments

Answer me, OP. Since universities in my country doesn't have this credits thing. What credits is supposed to be and what use it have?

>What credits is supposed to be and what use it have?

Well, each class gives credits so that when you graduate what decides if you get a degree or not is a credit check. Basically, they have a list for every major of what credits you need to have to get a degree. If you have them all, you get your degree. If not then you are fucked.

Other than that, it is used to calculate your grade.

In a class if you score an A you get a multipier of 3, a B gives you a multiplier of 2, a C a multiplier of 1 and D or F a multiplier of 0.

So if you pass a 5 credit class with an A you are awarded 5*3=15 credits. With a B you get only 10 credits.

That way when you graduate I am sure they also count how many credits you got to give you special degrees and shit.

The amount of credits they give seems to be a bit arbitrary but there is a pattern.

"Fundamental" classes give 4 - 5 credits.
"Support" classes give 4 credits.
"General education" classes give 2 - 3 credits.

The system is probably in place just to have a way to calculate your final grade and so that you cannot get special degrees from getting As in gen-ed crap like "english" as those classes are worth less than normal classes. Which is fun because my english course was worth 2 creidts and was 2 practice hours a week, which is the same as "mathematical finance" but mathematical finance gives 4 credits.

one use is it allows classes to be weighted by importance / workload

an "A" in a 4 credit course counts more to your GPA than an "A" in a 1 credit course