Meat

Why do we eat meat?
Given that there are plenty of other options, is there a legitimate reason for it’s consumption other than it tasting good?
And is killing animals justifiable just for it's tasty meat?

youtu.be/ao2GL3NAWQU

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VjzkQgfqCGQ
m.youtube.com/watch?v=6p5x0nxtqVs
youtu.be/MOfZtuKeTyM
a.uguu.se/vMY3oqsHnVPY_1480715212057.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>is killing animals justifiable for it's tasty meat

Yes it is. Humans voted and came to the conclusion that "Yes it is". When are you going to realize that "ethics" and all questions "is X morally right" are just matter of democracy; majority decides what is right and what is wrong.

So you're saying that just because it's considered normal since primitive times that we shouldn't make a change even if we think it's wrong.

This board is for science and mathematics, not ethics. Please leave.

Meat-free diets are highly unnatural. These days it's common knowledge that vegans need to supplement their diets with vitamin [math]B_{12}[/math] to avoid permanent damage to their nervous systems.

But [math]B_{12}[/math] was only discovered in 1947. So it's only a recent development (perhaps within your parents' lifetimes) that veganism could be practiced without risking brain damage.

As well, given the recency of [math]B_{12}[/math]'s discovery, it's plausible that people are still naive about compounds in foods which we need for good health.

It's clear to see that the human body just hasn't evolved to live off plants alone.

Now, if you want to talk about the ethics of risking your health for the well-being of animals, Veeky Forums is the wrong place. Try .

Not him, but that's not what he's saying. I assume you're not retarded enough to say that humans were morally wrong in eating meat in ancient times when survival was the primary objective.

The guy you quoted is referring to modern times (hence the democracy stuff) when we have other options. In democratic states, the majority decides what is morally right and wrong for the whole state, that's the whole point. So people in the west have decided that meat tastes good enough to not give a fuck about the death of the animals involved. Also, just for reference, animals tend to die in a lot more grotesque ways from other carnivores than us.

But it's not like they can feel things the way we can anyway, the whole sensationalist view of animal "abuse" rests on the idea of anthropomorphising animals and their "emotions", which doesn't have any scientific merit.

>It's clear to see that the human body just hasn't evolved to live off plants alone.
Maybe you're right but Vegetarians can get B12 from dairy products and eggs, making it not necessary to kill the animal.
An Vegans can get it from supplements (not natural).

>it's plausible that people are still naive about compounds in foods which we need for good health.
Studies show that Vegans and Vegetarians live longer than meat eaters.

People vote with their wallets.

Pedro raises and slaughters a cow and delivers it to John.
John from Food Inc. packs and transports the food to Jimmy's store.
Jimmy sells the food and 200 million Americans buy that food.

>But it's not like they can feel things the way we can anyway
The structures in the brains of animals homologous to the ones we hold responsible for our feelings are about equal in proportion to their body size as they are in humans. Do you have any evidence for your assertion that when an animal receives the same stimulus as a human, processes this stimulus with the same structures as humans, and produces the same behavior a human would, doesn't actually 'feel' what a human would feel?

>highly unnatural
It is natural for human to eat the food that's available in their surroundings. Since we invented agriculture, we are in charge of what's available in our surroundings. Choosing to produce food, and get nutrients in the best possible way is the most natural and the most human way to structure your diet.

>even if we think it's wrong
It's only you and a small minority of people like you who think so, not society in general.

I don't think most people know what they're doing or care, if they had to kill the animal themselves i think they would see it differently, unlike for example picking an Apple that wouldn't affect them in any way.
I think most people eat meat because they see other people doing it, it's considered normal and they like the taste, they have never attempted to change to at least a Vegetarian diet and realise they don't need meat.

Fuck society!

>same behaviour a human would
Lol, if you're referring to panic/sudden movement, that response goes all the way back to paramecia, it's not a mammal thing.

Also, you're making the assertion that mammals feel the same things that humans do, you have the burden of proof. I can tell you that their structures are different so the responses/emotions won't be the same, not even close. Homologous =/= same structure or even function.

Why do we eat vegetables?
Given that there are plenty of other options, is there a legitimate reason for it’s consumption other than it tasting good?
And is killing plants justifiable just for it's tasty components?

>cows, chickens, and fish are intelligent and "sentient"
lol, feeling pain and forming social bonds doesn't make an animal "sentient"

and I love how she uses the classic fallacy that industrial slaughterhouses are bad so eating meat is bad.

Meat is literally the very reason we have our level of intelligence.

>studies show that vegans and vegetarians live longer than meat eaters
I still do not see how this is a point for vegans/vegetarians??? You take the average person who eats meat and it is likely they do not monitor their diet and just eat what they want to eat whenever. Then you take the average vegan/vegetarian and they are probably a health-nut and entirely obsessed about "eating healthy" and the likes, as well as getting enough exercise and vitamins so that they don't keel over and die prematurely.

The statistic "vegan/vegetarians live longer than everyone else" is not a good statistic.

This, herbivores are fucking retarded, the only ones that makes the usual list of "intelligent animals" are elephants.

Actually, that could open up an issue with her argument: if pigs are "sentient", why do they kill other animals for food? They're omnivores, they don't "need" to. And as she said, eating meat is not natural, so I guess "carnism" exists in pig culture as well?

>Meat is literally the very reason we have our level of intelligence.
Meat's one reason. Rape's another. Then there's murder and war.

>Do you have any evidence for your assertion that when an animal receives the same stimulus as a human, processes this stimulus with the same structures as humans, and produces the same behavior a human would, doesn't actually 'feel' what a human would feel?
I mean, they feel pain. But even fucking plants feel something analogous to pain. If we're being any more specific than "they have a negative response to negative stimulus", then no, fundamentally no animal has a human brain and thus does not experience the same "feeling" as human brains do.

>Why do we eat meat?
Why do we eat at all?
>Given that there are plenty of other options
One of them not eating at all.
>is there a legitimate reason for it’s consumption
Depends on who you ask, when you ask that person and how that person understands your question.
>other than it tasting good?
Complex question + implication.
>And is killing animals justifiable just for it's tasty meat?
NO! THEN WHY DO YOU STILL EAT IT?

As long as a complex debate exists, that makes me believe that it will make me perform worse, then I think having been born into this situation, trying to make it out of it, gives me more justification to eat it.

It's horrible to me as well.

Though I have gotten to the conclusion that an absolutistic approach isn't the best option to get closer to your ideals.

I think improving the living conditions is a much more realistic goal than making people stop eating meat.
youtube.com/watch?v=VjzkQgfqCGQ

> "is X morally right" are just matter of democracy
Is that why President Trump lost by 3 million votes?

Protein is easier to digest than something with a cell wall so the first animals were carnivores.

Go back and think that through again.

>plants get energy from the sun
>herbivores get energy from plants
>carnivores get energy from herbivores

>carnivores existed before herbivores
pick one

Most people eat meat because they're addicted. Most of the people in this group are too ignorant (spaced out and drugged out) to realize they're addicted to fat. Few people around the world have any significant academic learning on living chemical nutrients from vegetables. Billions of mentally-challenged people follow their mindless cult-ural beliefs they've been taught. And most people are too stupid to realize the seared burger (acrylimide) is the same diseased animal-meat that was dripping blood hanging from a hook. Lots of people have never seen real animals: some of these people never think beyond "meat comes from the back room at the grocery store. Generally speaking: the masses are severely brain-damaged.

>It's clear to see that the human body just hasn't evolved to live off plants alone.

It's clear that most vegans do not get the variety and quantity of vegetables we need.
How do you expect our bodies to function if our minds do not put in all the vegetables we need for health and maximum brain function?
Notice how slow most over-weight people are: cause they're drunk on ketose and their brains are seriously deprived of glucose.
Most of you here are seriously negligent on your studies of chemistry and biology as it relates to your physical/mental health.

Bacteria that harnessed photosynthesis lived among other bacteria, those also able to undergo photosynthesis, that could and would eat them

Man I fucking love meat. I want a steak RIGHT NOW.

How is it so fukken gud

>But it's not like they can feel things the way we can anyway, the whole sensationalist view of animal "abuse" rests on the idea of anthropomorphising animals and their "emotions", which doesn't have any scientific merit.

Intelligent viewpoint. Most people are so desperate for love and comfort that they need to have relations with animals. Sad! Animals never tell them how pathetic they are; and if you lock them up in an apartment for hours at a time, mostly they're bound to mimic excitement when someone/anyone walks in the door.

I lived vegan and later held a goat getting killed looking into its eyes, in Turkey. In Germany I was broad up in a Rudolf Steiner centric type organic environment with a deep understanding of industrial food...
I honestly don't think anything of what you just wrote applies.

Yes it's nasty, though the system is what it is, changing it should happen in steps and not without losing sight to our prior living conditions because it grounds us.

I'm not saying lets copy Turkic goat herders, but supporting such groups would definitely be a right action.

>Maybe you're right but Vegetarians can get B12

It is theorized that B12 can be produced in our small intestine: reasonably, if we consume all the living chemicals from vegetables needed to do so. If we give our bodies fake (animal) B12, there's no sense for our bodies to produce it so the ability lies dormant and epigenetics suggest it can "turn on."

Sarcastically: Yeah right? Cows can produce their own B12 eating "grass and weeds" but people can't? Ignorant people have serious inferiority complexes.

Animals user not microbes.

Are you so ignorant you believe even a single animal has ever "thought" or worried about the afterlife? And yet you relate to them, as if you're nothing but an dirty, uncivilized animal yourself.

Kek, this is the type of stupid answer you get when you ask Veeky Forums why they eat meat.

Cutting open an animal yourself just confirms the idea that meat is good to eat. Have you actually ever hunted anything or are you just imagining what it's like? Seeing meat on the bone, it looks just as good as it does in the grocery store.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=6p5x0nxtqVs

Skip to approx 6:00 minutes the vid.

You are making the assertion that animals dont feel. You have the burden of proof.

Murder and war come from our intelligence, not the other way around. Trying that murder is one of the chief evolutionary incentives for inteligence is straight up idiotic.

You just shifted the burden of proof. It's never the responsibility to prove than something isn't true, rather, it's the responsibility of a person to prove that something IS true. You my friend have the burden of proof.

A common error in thinking is saynig "well you have to prove that it isn't not true". That's just playing hot potato.

anybody else in here have the opinion that ..maybe it is morally wrong. maybe we don't have to eat meat anymore. maybe humans have moved past that.

but I just don't care. I'm going to eat meat because it tastes fucking delicious.

Well clearly he's just never thought about where his meats REALLY come from. Just another brainwashd pawn of the Carnism establishment.

Seriously though, you're right. I remember when I first killed and cleaned a wild hog, most satisfying meal I've ever eaten. I always hear vegans talk about how if most people knew what's really involved in getting meat they wouldn't eat it, but I personally haven't met any who've actually verified that. Even knew one guy who WAS a vegan until he went hunting for the first time.

>maybe it is morally wrong
nope

And if you think it is wrong but still eat it I really have no respect for you. At least vegans live by their beliefs, thinking it's wrong but doing it anyway because it tastes good is just the pleb option.

what I do believe is that human beings are superior to all other organisms on this planet. should we eat shark? no. should we eat endangered orangutans? nope. should we continue to mass produce chicken, beef, lamb, turkey, etc... ? I think so.

in the long, long run we will grow most of our meat artificially in a lab anyway.

>Murder and war come from our intelligence, not the other way around.
Intraspecies conflict drives evolution beyond the demands of the environment.

Many primates eat meat, but haven't developed intelligence. Our close relatives, the chimps, have rather uniquely humanlike patterns of tactical, planned war and murder without full human-level intelligence.

This was likely essential to creating the competitive pressure necessary to make the leap from hominid to hominin: communicate plans, carry weapons and supplies, divide spoils, scout, promote competent leaders. Any little improvement can give an edge to win life-or-death fights.

It's probably the additional innovation of rape gangs that drove the elevation of humans beyond chimps. Look at the differences between chimp and human penises. The human penis is a semen squeegee made for gang rape.

Imagine if some young male proto-chimps formed a little army, big enough to chase off or kill the males of any tribe, and then stick around to impregnate the females, then move on to the next victims. They could be dozens of times more reproductively successful than the males who don't try this tactic, or who are unsuccessful at it. The genes could spread very quickly, so the behavior would spread quickly. Competition would become fierce.

Modern chimps are likely also a product of this: they're the branch that evolved effective defensive behavior against this tactic good enough until the rape-gang branch diverged enough to be unattractive. For instance, they have huge, productive testicles and very competitive sperm. If a tribe comes in and rapes their females, they might have to stick around too long to actually get them pregnant for it to be worth their while.

The relatively-peaceful, sex-maniac bonobos are likely another product of defensive evolution, a variation on Veeky Forums's own "pissing in an ocean of piss" defense.

Just eat mushrooms. They have plenty b12

Its a high energy deposit which has a good amount of calcium and iron.

>Just eat mushrooms. They have plenty b12
[citation needed]

Ultimately it's better to be vegetarian/vegan. Mad cow disease can show up decades later.

They literally have no B12.

We evolved to eat meat

This board is for shit posting Uni students and brainlets desu. It should be renamed /Uni/.

So why are scientists currently trying to develop cultured meat?
I don't think they are only making it for the 6% of people in the world that don't eat meat, it's not worth the investment.
It's because people are so addicted to meat taste that they don't care if what they are doing is wrong.

If you give people the option to not kill the animal and get the same taste and nutrition from the meat, they'll make the switch to cultured meat.

youtu.be/MOfZtuKeTyM

this, the human is a machine specifically evolved for the purpose of outrunning any other animal on the savannah (and all any other land animal on the world for that matter) and exhaust it to death, we are by definition of our biology we are carnivores and we were starting to develop a more "carnivorean" body by the time we reached civilization, our appendix shrank, our intestines became smaller and with less flora, and the only reason why we dont have huge ass canines is because we discovered how to manipulate fire back when we were erectuses

furthermore the issue of veganism is retarded and well past its point of discussion, i vehemently believe on the next 20 years cultured meat will become mass producible and for the only reason that it will become more efficient and more rentable than the meat industry, it will replace it eventually

>and nutrition
That's kind of key isn't it?

In my view there's nothing wrong with eating meat, as long as it isn't to excess (as with all things). I don't think the fashion in which we produce that meat is usually ethical or sustainable but that's a completely separate issue. Arguments about it being un-natural or whatever frankly hurt the cause of trying to get people to reduce their meat consumption because it makes it seem like hippy bullshit.

I'm convinced that a huge part of the population isn't aware, doesn't care or makes research to discover that they can get all their nutrients from other sources.
They live in denial and justify their meat eating habits solely because of the taste, the cultured meat could be the solution to the problem.

I expect most people would still eat meat even if they know it's unnecessary. I know I do.
I'll happily use lab meat once it's viable though.

they eat meat / animal products because it tastes good. if you have discipline it is better to eat a well planned vegan diet. if you are not intelligent a vegan diet can just as bad/worse than meat eating diet and they use that in order to justify condemning a vegan diet.

go back to /pol/

Even if fake-meat was made most people wouldn't eat it because it contains " chemicals "

>I don't think most people know what they are doing or care

Democracy says that everyone gets one vote, and every vote is equal in value.

Currency (a type of vote), for example dollars, is same for everyone (as long as they are the legal owner of it), irregardless of what they think, care, or know. Legality of ownership of currency is not dictated personally and ethically but trade and law.

It is thought that it is justified that those individuals, organizations, and concepts with more currency can have more influence on the culture and direction of the society.

If it was cheap I think they would get over it

most people( at least here in Lithuania) don't eat vegetables from markets because they are "modified" and grow their own
they don't them because they contain " chemicals "

i'm an anarcho capitalist. its the best way to allocate resources. i think that spontaneous order resulting from the free market is one of the secrets of the universe. sort of like the general theory of relativity.

What predictive power your 'anarcho capitalism' -model gives you?

Does it
>tell you how to realize those resources to yourself
>tell you how you can construct a plan that you will use to realize those resources to yourself
>tell you how to construct an idea that you use to construct a plan that you use to realize those resources to yourself
?

Does it also tell you how to
>keep those resources
>what to do with those resources
?

yeah sort of. its more a macro thing. i can't tell you how to micromanage anything but i can deduce how certain aspects of the market will turn out and i get more of a grasp of how everything really works. if you are asking if i can profit from my understanding i'd say yeah sort of sure

Very good for you (and your family) then. Too few people nowadays have their own brain and just trust science and authority the same way people used to trust religion and church.

I think a better questions is, why don't we eat people?
a.uguu.se/vMY3oqsHnVPY_1480715212057.webm

Yes, people here in the US often try to avoid GMO food as well. I think they will get over it too though. As more time passes it will become normal. Also I think the GMO genes will eventually find their way into all plants on earth.

in the future they will look back at this time and try to imagine how barbaric it must have been for everyone to have practiced as if government was some sort of religion.