SCI META-THREAD: SHITPOSTING AMOK EDITION

We are allowed one meta-thread at a time.

How can Veeky Forums be improved?
strawpoll.me/12317199

Personally, I think shitposting is out of control, and is bordering on sliding. What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/sci/thread/8658121/#8658121
strawpoll.me/12317557
youtubemultiplier.com/589f66b06c8e0-donner-sezai-bam-bam-bam.php
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016EF000446/epdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I think dumb cunt names like "princess mononoke" should be autobanned.
No one cares that you're either an attention whore or a massive faggot. Go back to /b/ fucking degenerate.

>"Check all that deserve attention"
>Can only check one

>No summary of what was discussed in the previous meta-thread

Congratulations on, ironically, bringing down Veeky Forums's quality with your thread.

Threads like these are off-topic and dead ends. Yet we're flooded with them.

boards.fireden.net/sci/thread/8658121/#8658121
^^^^Last Meta-Thread

I know! Why don't we make captchas calculus problems? You've got to integrate to post!

Isn't that a great idea that I totally just came up with, you guys?

strawpoll.me/12317557
^^^^multiple responses enabled

It's obvious that some people are politically overly motivated and might try to intentionally shape opinions.

You would think mods would take care of it.

For some weird reason they don't, yet wait for a thread like this to be made.

youtubemultiplier.com/589f66b06c8e0-donner-sezai-bam-bam-bam.php

>What do you think?

I think you probably sign e-petitions from your Facebook feed.

Trying to fool smart people is stupidity.

Do you think stickys would curb the funposting? Why or why not?

this one's an oldie but a goodie
dumb frogposters

but on topic, I think there's just gotta be something done about all the /pol/ invasions. no, I don't want to hear three times a week about how you don't understand the greenhouse effect. no, I don't want to hear three times a week about how instrumental records are all faked anyway. no, I don't want to hear five times a week your whining about how there's not much serious research looking into racial differences in intelligence.

teal deer: stormfags gettout REEEEEEEEEE

also, saw this gem of a funpost a while back. what do YOU think?

This. I can't tell if it's different /pol/e-up-the-butts, or the same ones are switching tactics, but we've had 3 or 4 climate threads going simultaneously for the last month.

>there's not much serious research looking into racial differences in intelligence
I think you're handing out the cards to prepare the gorunds for people showing you the amount of research.

Why would you ANYONE so stupid not able to remember the multiple times having stumbled over the amount of ''serious research''?

>Why would you ANYONE so stupid not able to remember the multiple times having stumbled over the amount of ''serious research''?
okay if this was intentional, nicely done.

There does seem to be a lot of stupid people on here with nothing to contribute. And they lack the communication skills to make any sense.

They keep coming back for the (You)s.

Bring back gorilla posting.

It seems like a lot of people, but really I just post in every thread.

Ban all university threads.

would be fun
>inb4 prove some unproven conjecture to post

this

wordfilter 'brainlet' to something

I invented that meme. I'm so proud.

It was funny at first but now it's just a term used by people who don't contribute to the board and want to circlejerk themselves over how smart they are

in b4 brainlet spotted etc

nigger

25 votes deep
Who has resources for a climate sticky?
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016EF000446/epdf

>Veeky Forums is dead
>therefor increase the moderation so even less people post on it

Are you legitimately mentally impaired? Do you guys unironically come from reddit? Serious questions.

But what would it word filter to?

Veeky Forums doesn't need more people, it needs the right people

pic related

>"brainlet" filters to "Australopithecus"
>"unironically" filters to "4REAL"

bring back pandaposting

make sure to include Hausfather et al. 2013, because it's conclusive evidence against the denier refrain of "homogenization taints the whole dataset with UHI"
>ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ushcn/papers/hausfather-etal2013.pdf
coincidentally, there's this one brainlet who comes here to insist that it proves homogenization is flawed, based entirely on his inability to read figures and figure captions.

For a system to be at its optimal and most efficient state, it must turn high quality into high quantity and consolidate quantity into a higher quality, and so on. It's a non-stop process of expansion, re-ordering, expansion, re-ordering. Wanting Veeky Forums to re-order when it isn't even in a state of quantity, even worse, when it is actively hemorrhaging traffic every next year, is illogical. The best course would be for moderation to be loosened up so the shitposters realize that they can turn this board into /tv/ v2.0 and have them populate and multiply its active userbase. Once the quantity is achieved, you can enact all the rules you ever want to increase quality. That way you get a higher quantity of quality, as opposed to the dead board it would end up being should you attempt to increase quality within an almost non-existent userbase.

>tl;dr - do the exact opposite of what everyone ITT proposed

>loosen moderation to attract a bunch of popsci memers, homework kiddies, and /x/philes to Veeky Forums
>once they've settled in, tighten moderation to rein in their general awfulness
>this magically converts rampant shitposters into good Veeky Forumstizens who make good posts
yeah that's gonna be a no for me dog

I haven't read a single post complaining about over moderation. I have read many posts complaining about mods tolerating shit-tier threads.

Saved. I'll give it a read.

see pic for conclusive proof that Veeky Forums has /mods/

see also pic related

well color me surprised

I'm starting not to want to come here. This used to be smartest board, smarter even than Veeky Forums, which is also suffering and which I stopped frequenting several months ago. There's almost no reason to come to 4chen anymore.

Same here. I'm migrating to /pol/, seemingly the only board with fresh content and occasionally good discussion.

I actually think this would be great

I used to go there for the HAPPENING threads. /pol/ is good for finding news that gets buried by mainstream and legacy outlets, but the circle-jerking is too much for me.

Why would we want PDF support if everyone's just going to use it to shitpost? There is no way to fix Veeky Forums, this is a board on Veeky Forums, a community for dumb insecure manchildren. Go to stackoverflow or reddit for actually interesting conversation.

>stickies
>ids
Christ no those ideas are awful

weird. how actually having a dedicated Veeky Forums mod is out of the question.

Exactly this.

Bottom right attach a red one
>Let the weak die off. Our species are capable of great things when put under pressure.

Why do you faggots want to preserve the status quo?

>4REAL

Make that "for reals"

you mean [math] \forall \mathbb{R} [/math]

The real numbers don't exist though.

Jaden pls go

Let's fix the fucking sticky
>Telling people to go to /adv/
>Outdated Google site with incompletion of some subjects

Let's not integrate to post. As much as I would like to weed out shitposters, it weeds out those who specialize in biological sciences. Although if they did learn how to integrate then I'm all for it. We just need to keep in mind who we're weeding out when we incorporate a certain filter.

Use the wiki.
The site has been dead for years.

You can learn basic integration in a day given a grade school understanding of algebra... it would be a deterrence for some but not the end of shitposting. Sticky updating is probably the best move. Just sage stupid questions with "read sticky"

Threads that are about science would be nice. More science news posts would be good too.

I think we should have Veeky Forums projects where we could communally propose research and maybe do literature reviews together.

The place needs to be more than /piss-on-your-degree/ general.

We need more threads like this

Name one (1) board that changed after these threads.
I'm intelligent enough to know it's a waste of time. Nobody would even differentiate between legitimate improvements and brainlet baits to ruin the board.