/kor/

Any essential Korean novels?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2016/02/07/books/review/the-vegetarian-by-han-kang.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

none koreans cant write for shit, just look at their language

Degenerate culture and lack creativity to create anything that can be considered art or literature.

The man Booker International winter this year was Korean. The Korean government has been lobbying and screaming racism at International literature awards for the last two years so expect a few more

I'm sure at least a few people will be too lazy to hunt down which book is talking about.

I read it during a stay in Busan. The style is restrained and precise, and the structure is interesting. If you're at all interested in Asian cultures, you'll probably pick up a few cultural tidbits. It's short, bright, and one of my favorite reads this year.

Check it out: nytimes.com/2016/02/07/books/review/the-vegetarian-by-han-kang.html

any good korean Veeky Forums where enjoyment doesn't necessarily hinge on understanding or appreciating korean culture (or generally asian cultures)? i don't mind checking something korean out for a kick but the cultural aspect is not something i care about much

>bright

It was Osamu Dazai dark.

The Vegetarian was my first, so I'm not sure. Even total ignorance wouldn't hinder your enjoyment of the novella, and it certainly doesn't read like an informative text. You might be bored by the Korean BBQ scene or the stuff about in-laws or the stuff about company dinners -- but these aspects don't call attention to themselves. They're just facts of life that service some other artistic objective.

Remember that this is a translation. It would be weird if the author had spent a whole chapter explaining what Korean culture is like. The original text assumes its readers are already culturally fluent. Naturally, the focus is on the narrative, not the environment.

Again, this was my first South Korean novel and I can't speak for any other ones. If you "don't mind checking something Korean," you might consider consider starting with this novella.

koreans aren't real humans, they can't produce real art

Yeah, it's thematically dark, and all the reviews focus on the strange stuff. When I was reading it, that was my experience of it as well. But now, a few months later, my most vivid memories of the text are the countermelodies. The bright spots were my favorites.

A few months later I remember 5 things. The Rape, 5 months of her wandering around, The Family Dinner, Manipulated into Flower Sex, Now I'm a starving plant at a hospital

Hahaha, fair enough.

I thought the script is supposed to be one of the best writing systems in the world?

There isn't very much translated to English, but Dalkey Archive translated about twenty contemporary books a couple years back.

pls explain

이문열, 김훈
Very masculine and diabolic, a must read. A peak of Korean literary development

황순원
Gives rural Korean feels at its best

Etc... ask specifically.

i also enjoyed the vegetarian

Rain Showers is a very famous melodrama in Korea, an essential read if you're trying to get into Korean Literature.

save the green planet

its a script for robots

then why would you even actively seek korean literature retard?

don't suppose you have any tips for finding korean ebooks?i've had some luck with korean versions of english books (harry potter etc) on random little blogs but never any native korean material

Han Kang's The Vegetarian

>what is the sticky

They make great movies tho. Old boy for example, and a couple of others of which idk the english name

Old Boy sucks ass. It's only liked in the US because people like feeling edgy and hip for liking foreign films, but the acting is terrible and the plot line is actually retarded.
>muh muh muh plot twist
Do you actually think that an edgy, stupid plot twist makes a movie good?

t. native Korean

Why is Korean literature so shit compared to Japanese and Chinese?

Korean here
Let me just provide an intuitive reason to why Koreans can't write for shit (or do anything good).
>1. Culture kills their mind and oppress their innate logic circuit
>2. Their parents are at the forefront killing kids' humane feelings; therefore they cannot write while reflecting on their true nature

It's kind of funny how people accuse me of being racist when racism is most often based on prolonged legitimate observations.

But, please do try some American Korean novels, I came across many articles praising their work.

>the plot line is actually retarded

t. Aeschylus

Because the chinese and the japanese took turns in "who can take the biggest shit on Korea?" contest
And because the chinese cultural sphere had an enormous "gravitational pull" back then