Is there any point of learning calculus for sake of learning?

is there any point of learning calculus for sake of learning?

Where are you going to use calculus with CS degree?

Im learning calc on my own but only because I want to breeze through college when I go

Calc is useful in the analysis of algorithms. Estimating the amount of time or space used, etc

In numerical methods.

>"Where are you going to use calculus with CS degree?"
Never.

That's why you're just a glorified assembly line worker.

If I understand correctly, you can use data you have and calculus to model shit on pc.

Is it right?

Do you have any examples?

Because being exposed to new ideas and thinking deeply about them is always worthwhile. Why does this board despise knowledge?

We'll only use it when calcuating the best algorithm to use in certain search/sort situations, unfortuntaely 99% of the time it will be obvious or you can find th answer with a good search.

These things tend to pop up under odd circumstances. If you end up in video games, modeling and simulation or data processing, depending on exactly what you are trying to do you may need all kinds of odd corners of maths to model whatever it is you need.

Of course, should you need it you can go ahead and look up how it works then. It's more important to know what calculus can be used for than how to do it. We have computers for the latter.

fortunately, it means you never have to learn calculus

I've never needed it; and fancy algorithms only serve to confuse the next programmer. It's not civilized, best practice or friendly to leave confusion for the next guy. Most programmers are good at adding "buttons," but they're lazy so they never actually do more than put up a prompt to say the function is not available (when they could disable or hide the button until it was). It makes them believe they're intelligent and useful.

underage detected

You can use it for optimization, but you need multivariate calculus to do anything beyond fences and picture frames.

I can't tell if this is bait or not. That's how low we have fallen.

Calculus is a very powerful tool to understand change and it's used in a lot of fields, including CS. Only a moron needs its usefulness explained to him.

Optimalisation

Not at all if you want to be a code monkey, If you're R&D/Academia/Frontier of the field you're gonna need to know your math.

this
if you're just a code monkey working for a salary you'll just settle for the solution that requires least capital/time spent ergo you can't just sit there doing math equations
if you're a research computer scientist you will probably be using it a hell of a lot, particularly in optimizing algorithms and simulations

During my final thesis I was working with large data sets + interpolation + generating maps based on data. etc.

It was fun as fuck I had to generate it on my own pc, I had opportunity to learn multi threading and some algos and new data structures.

but now I have a job as code monkey in java.

I am trying to find a way to get out of this misery.

I wish I could find some more ambitious job.

Machine learning (Gradient Descent, Probability Theory, interpolation etc)
Image Processing(Convolutions, Image Graidents, etc)
Numerical Methods(almost all of it)
Algorithm Analysis(bounding runtimes etc)

Is pic related book good idea or should I read Apostol?

I recently used calculus to prove a hashing lower bound.

I recently used calculus to get laid. So there's that.

If it's your first time learning calc read Keisler.

If you can't handle Keisler read Stewart. From what I remember Apostol goes into integration before differentiation; it's something to read after a first exposure to the subject. OP's pic is meant to be a supplement to a real math textbook/course.

And before anyone suggests it: you cannot handle Spivak.

calculated the amount of force needed to restrain her

Tbh if you go to a mid-tier state school and you've mastered the chain rule in calc1 you could get some succ.