What is cooler than black holes? Are they the most ridiculous thing in space? What tops it?

What is cooler than black holes? Are they the most ridiculous thing in space? What tops it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future
youtube.com/watch?v=QXfhGxZFcVE
youtube.com/watch?v=AwwIFcdUFrE
mentalfloss.com/article/51271/there-are-giant-clouds-alcohol-floating-space
youtube.com/watch?v=ojEq-tTjcc0
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1486786050391.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They are cool but what about the edge of space, where time doesnt exist, or does time always have existed before space?

How do we know space has an edge? Why does time not exist outside it?

And what do physicists think is beyond the edge?

There is no edge.

Definitley an interesting mystery this one. What exists where our 'space' has yet to expand into? Is this the realm of inter-dimensionality?

Neutron stars are fucking radical

Life

Super massive black holes/Quasars. Since there's seems to be no size limit on black holes whatever the great attractor is [God's angry maw of the ultimate black hole universe eater?]

>DNews

Time exists everywhere, it's just that without TWO or more "objects" you can't tell since there's no cause-effect relationship between anything.

Space/Distance is similar.

>Since there's seems to be no size limit on black holes

There's a theoretical limit but I forget what it is.

butt holes

cute traps

White holes! Wormholes! Black matter! And a things that's called the growling or something.
Google it. Scientists don't exactly know what it is or where it's coming from. It's a space growl.

>google it
I can't find anything

Neutron stars and quark stars if they exist.

Well nothing could be cooler than black holes. They don't emit radiation, so their temperature is absolute zero. They are the coolest objects possible.

>They don't emit radiation
this is wrong.
> so their temperature is absolute zero.
this is all wrong

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

Damn hawking radiation. I knew some snot on Veeky Forums would ruin the joke by mentioning this. I've always liked to counter that technically black holes don't emit hawking radiation, the radiation is created by particle antiparticle pairs created at the event horizon. They arent coming from the black hole at all. Does that get me out of jail here?

It's possible that all dimensions above the first two dimensions are just projections (hence black holes and gravity), so if you were to somehow travel to the outermost fringes of the universe you would gradually become flatter and flatter until you became just a line.

It's 50 billion solar masses. At that size, it's accretion belt will create massive stars and that significantly slow it's feeding process

Your sense of humor is as well developed as string theory

He's referring to the space roar.

>Radiation

Still just an idea, that is very far away from being supported by actual evidence.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

I would bet quark stars, but we've never found one so who knows anything there.

There is nothing beyond the "edge".

It's borderline philosophic-religious question, aka "why everything exists". Scientific methods and science in general exists as a tool to answer this question and few others like "what is intelligence" and so on.
It's really funny when you think that despite knowing a lot we still know nothing about ourselves and the universe.

i guess by edge you mean the edge of our visible universe. beyond it is probably just more space that we will never ever ever see

But is the space beyond our visible universe empty space or is it filled with matter?

That's anyone's guess and something we will probably never know, but I don't see why it has to be empty or particularly different from our patch of universe

I'm sorry for being so obtuse, but how come we can't see that far then? If we had a space telescope "closer" to the "edge" would we be able to do so then?

We can't see that far because the universe is expanding at a faster rate than light can travel. Eventually the whole observable universe will go over that "edge" except for a handful of objects traveling towards us, such as Andromeda.

A line has 1 dimension. I suppose you mean a plane.

This is what leads to heat death right? Matter travels further away and in the end everything becomes rigid?

well heat death i think is related to the fact that the universe will eventually run out of hydrogen an helium so star formation will cease to occur.
expansion is driven by some kind of energy we don't understand we aptly called dark energy, and it seems the more empty space the more dark energy there is, meaning the more the universe expands the faster it will and this might eventually lead to the big rip whereby dark energy is so powerful that even the most fundamental particles will be torn apart.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future

That sounds...terribly morbid to be honest. Thank you for contributing to this thread and teaching me something new :)

>We can't see that far because the universe is expanding at a faster rate than light can travel.
But isn't this a violation of the very laws we set about the speed limit of the universe? How can matter travel faster than light? Or does one have to think of expansion in a different manner?

No, because nothing is actually moving that fast, it's simply the distance between things that is.

Oh okay.

the fundamental speed limit of the universe applies to objects and particles traveling THROUGH space, not to space itself
youtube.com/watch?v=QXfhGxZFcVE
youtube.com/watch?v=AwwIFcdUFrE

where can i read more about this

This.

People often get this concept very wrong. Space is not "moving further" like a car driving over a border. It is EXPANDING. Like a balloon when you pump air into it. At Big Bang the balloon had infinitely small size. Then it rapidly inflated and now it is expanding at some much slower rate.

To ask what is outside the 'edge of space' is to ask questions about forms outside the balloon. Apparently they have very little consequence to us *now*.

black holes are very pop sci tier and aren't actually that interesting.

Why do you think so? What is more interesting?

>meaning the more the universe expands the faster it will and this might eventually lead to the big rip whereby dark energy is so powerful that even the most fundamental particles will be torn apart.
How can people enjoy thinking about the end?

>gives in to anger

linear algebra is infinitely more interesting

Pulsars

Life is the craziest shied imo desu laddies

time crystals will most likely be able to survive the big rip, and we have enough time to work on them.

When I was 6, I thought black holes were assholes.

They would cut up spaceships in half (because they look like giant buzzsaws in artistic pictures) and then the spacemen wouldn't be able to breath and they would DIE.

Not cool at all.

A black hole is just an area of space with an extreme amount of gravity not HURR OTHER DIMENSIONS.
The universe was once a singularity with a border, that border is the edge of the universe.

Smart Drugs. Is it worth the side affects?

What about Pulsars fascinates you so?

>time crystals
these?

So you're into cool, not intelligence.
They're black SUNS: merely because you can't see it in Reality this does not mean you can't imagine it functioning as a late-stage sun. What a stupid term.

No, the ones from Time Surfer

Black holes and supermassive are the same thing. It's like saying a vesuvio pizza is a margarita pizza.

What happens when this bubble or balloon pops then? Or does that analogy not work?
Do we not yet have any idea or theory as to what is outside our presently expanding balloon that is the known universe?

nope
Supermassive blackholes exist since before stars were formed so they're not the same thing. We still don't know where they came from and why they're so massive.

That was me. Just playin' around.

--G.

And the theory that super massive black holes are at the center of galaxies ( not sure if all galaxies). Which means galaxies are just a dense cluster of matter/anti-matter slowly being swallowed!

Yes. Very interesting. I've heard Neil degrass Tyson talk about different physical laws in different parts of the universe. It would be interesting to find out if a star could be smaller than an atom!

Why things exist is a disturbing question. Because there really isn't a need for things to exist!

By Azura, by Azura, by Azura! It's really you! The Grand Champion!

It can experience superconductive discharges that cause it to spin faster
That's A LOT of energy going into such an acceleration

It can't.

What the fuck are you on about? Did talk of quark stars trigger some madness?

>How can people enjoy thinking about the end?

Makes me feel better about my own inevitable death...

>White holes
If black holes steal mass do white holes make it?

those giant ass stars that make ours look like a grain of sand.

Also that giant cluster of alcohol made by a blackhole or some shit. Science says it taste like rum.

>Also that giant cluster of alcohol made by a blackhole or some shit. Science says it taste like rum.
Huh?

mentalfloss.com/article/51271/there-are-giant-clouds-alcohol-floating-space

like it's just a shit ton of space booze. Sadly you can't drink it and you can't flick a match at it. Might be a nice alternative fuel someday.

yes, but theoretical

we're(people) have never observed such a thing

>Space is not "moving further" like a car driving over a border. It is EXPANDING.

Space is expanding, this doesn't necessarily imply that the universe is expanding. It could be that there is more, different, space outside of the volume associated with the big bang.... or it could be that there is nothing outside.

Why are black holes illustrated like this.
Arent they spherical?

>Arent they spherical?

They're spherical, but they have angular momentum also (like a spinning top).

You can't rotate in a spherically symmetric way.

If I (immortal) was at the center of the universe. And my immortal friend was about half way to the edge of the observer universe.

How much time would need to pass for him to double his distance from me due to universal expansion?

Theyre massive because they need to be the center of attention
insecure and all

kek im done

>If I (immortal) was at the center of the universe.

I'm actually not sure if it makes sense to talk about a center. The unusual situation that we find ourselves in is that it appears that every point is the center.
Of course, this observation only applies to the observable universe which is, as far as I know, some unknown fraction of the entirety of the universe... So it may be that we simply don't have the correct perspective to be able to see where the center is.

>How much time would need to pass for him to double his distance from me due to universal expansion?

As said above, it's an ill defined question, but pic related should give you some idea of the answer you're looking for.

The rate expansion is increasing

I'm not the fella you were replying to, but that's a good enough explanation for me!

> Then it rapidly inflated and now it is expanding at some much slower rate.

This is not correct, space is actually expanding at a FASTER rate.

>edge
>implying space isn't a donut

Quasars... Which are really just black holes in overdrive with bulimia. (Still, anything put out more energy than entire galaxies...)

Whatever "The Great Attractor" is (probably just a bunch of black holes, or more about dark matter/energy elsewhere.)

Ummm... Theoretical stuff, like quark stars, strange stars, cosmic strings, and worm holes.

...and shit that doesn't exist anymore, like unification energy.

Alright, I got nuttin. Singularities are kinda hard to beat. I mean you're basically defying the laws of physics and the possibility mathematical analysis at that point (beyond saying "yup, that's a singularity".)

Wait... Muh qualia! /hideunderkeyboard

Don't worry! We'll fix it!

youtube.com/watch?v=ojEq-tTjcc0

Heat death is inevitable, in short layman's terms, because you can only recycle stars so many times. Some of that matter is lost each time, gets trapped in black holes or brown dwarfs, and other such things that will outlast the universe. Only a fraction of stars actually release enough matter to make more stars.

But yes, the acceleration of the universe leads to the Big Rip, which puts a timer on all of that.

...and, as far as I understand it, the current cosmological models give us a double whammy. Heat death, followed by Big Rip. Everything will run down, get dark, then be ripped apart.

Those black holes will eventually evaporate, but by the time they release their payload, the universe will be expanding so fast that each particle of it will effectively be immediately in its own universe, unable to interact with any other.

But you might (might) be able to buy yourself more time by setting up inside a large event horizon, or given the inherent interconnectedness of the various quantum fields, maybe mankind will one day find a way to fundamentally change the laws of physics, or create his own universe (theoretically possible, even if it involves some insane shit and there's no way to transfer to it).

On the other hand, maybe we won't get off the planet before the next cosmic golf ball hits it.

No, no... It's not so bad! Here, let me put that in perspective for ya:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1486786050391.webm

Oh, wait...

Cool

We are so small...

maybe you, manlet