Does anyone here actually major in just math?

Does anyone here actually major in just math?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Green_(mathematician)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

yes

I minored in CS but I don't imagine that counts

I did, though I did try unsuccessfully to pick up a few different minors.

Ask me anything

I did.

Ended up with a job in finance because I decided fuck grad school for right now.

OK so basically I'm in a Biochemistry program as a "pre-med" right now and it's a real slog to get through my mandatory courses. The only courses I've really enjoyed in university so far have been Calc I, II and Lin Alg. Would switching to math basically be an end to med school dreams? I mean I guess upper level biochemistry courses are probably just as hard as math right?

Course difficulty doesn't mean anything.

You can't become a medical doctor with just a math degree.

Yes. In undergrad, and now I'm working on my PhD.

I know, ECs, pre-reqs, and all that. The math program at my school has enough electives to let me take pre-reqs, but I guess I'm just worried if I'll have a 3.8+ GPA in math

why wouldn't you? it's 300k starting, after all

I mean, you technically go to medical school with any major that you want. You just have to make sure you take the required courses to apply to the medical schools you want to go to. There's a pretty standard list. I don't know what it consists of anymore.

There's gotta be some sort of pre-med guidance counselor at your uni, right? Go talk to them. They'll know better than anyone here.

Oh. It's a GPA thing. Ehhhhhhh, I don't know. I thought my chemistry courses were way harder than my math courses if I'm being honest.

If that's your problem, then I can't help you. It's not impossible to ace math courses, but, ya know, self-fulfilling prophecies and all that jazz.

So what, you wanna take a bunch of math electives just for fun?

Is 23 too late to start learning math?

24 here. Just changed my major to math with concentration in engineering/physics. Start with me user

I did. Was gonna double major in physics but their lack of rigor was triggering me.

Nope, I'm 23 too and plan to switch from physics to maths. Unfortunately, you'll never become a powerful mathematician, because good mathematician is a job that starts at 10 and ends at 30.
gl

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Green_(mathematician)

You tell me, user.

> powerful mathematician
> good mathematician

Those are two very different things.

by powerful mathematician, I was meaning a mathematician producing powerful results, so a notch above "good". If he's 13 years late to be a good mathematician, chances are, he won't be a powerful mathematician either

Id's say most Europeans only choose one.

I think he still has a really good chance of being a "good" mathematician, but I guess that simply comes down to what we consider being a "good" mathematician.

Either way, I agree he's probably not the new Gauss, and he shouldn't count on that being the case.

Sounds narrow-minded.

I'm majoring in Family Studies but having a minor in math. Can confirm that none of the people in my classes are majoring only in math.

my school doesn't have majors but if it did I would be majoring in math

Intro calc and linear algebra aren't math, they're mindless computation courses.

If you want a taste of what an actual math major with actual math courses entails, take an intro proofs class or one of the abstract algebra courses. If you find it too difficult or just don't enjoy that, you're not meant for a math major.

But I'm assuming you just took the calculus and linear algebra courses that are designed for non-math majors, ie not the advanced versions of those courses your uni offers.

>Does anyone here actually major in just math?

Yeah, I do. Did you think the pure math thing was an ironic meme? My life is an ironic meme. My grades are pretty high too.

>posting zizek

But he's a pseudo-intellectual marxist that doesn't even accept human instincts.

Why the fuck do marxists still exist?

>Why the fuck do marxists still exist?

Because there are still rich people alive.

>But I'm assuming you just took the calculus and linear algebra courses that are designed for non-math majors,
No I took the ones engineers/math students take

*sniiifffff*

Switching into math from engineering took most of my elective space hence I cannot obtain a minor without sacrificing math courses at my small school. Ironically, choosing engineering put me down a less practical path for my major.

Yes but the majority are Pure Autism Math majors that thought their degree will make them ace the Actuary tests.

The AppMath, Stats and Operations Researchfags are enjoying the good life right now with their minimum 90k starting and having a qt white wife and 3 kids.
If you actually see someone say that they have these degrees and replied to you, you should be grateful desu.

I'm majoring in accounting. That's close enough, right?

I can say with certainty at least one person does. I would be willing to bet a lot more do too.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

So, yes?