/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

GRI Edition

What GRI approved book did you read recently?
What GRI approved book was released in 2016?
Which book is the best sleeper GRI novel?(fooled you into thinking it was wholesome family fun)

Fantasy
>Selected: i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
>General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
>Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/

Science Fiction
>Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
>imgur.com/a/90laS
>General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/
>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11522397/r
twitter.com/AnonBabble

repostan from last thread:

How do you guys feel about works in which the first half (which could be a novel on its own) follows a particular theme whereas the second half is almost completely disjoint in focus and theme aside from a few characters (including the MC)

For an example, I once "wrote" a work whose first half was a re-imagining of Ocarina of Time whereas the second half was basically Attack on Titan but with dragons pls no bully

what if my prose is the like the tears of Chronos himself?

let it die.
let /sffg/ die

Does 1632 belong here?

You don't belong here

Yes, alt history is a scifi offshoot and the book has an explicitly scifi setup

no u, this is the last ray of hope in the eternal darkness that is post-Infinite Jest Veeky Forums

rude

Is this Custer?

Reposting from last thread: poll on whether The Lies of Locke Lamora is any good.

strawpoll.me/11522397/r

So far Yes is ahead by a large percentage, though there have been few votes.

Liquid?!?

It's wish-fulfillment redneck-Jew-Swede wankery, but sure.

You'd piss off the people who like reading the oot shit and the people who'd like the aot part would never bother.

>You'd piss off the people who like reading the oot shit
That's more or less the point to be honest
I hadn't really considered the second part, however. I guess thats what happens when you write for yourself

I don't much care for GRI desu, there's an occasional author who can make it work but most times it just seems 2edgy.

Hey Veeky Forums, still working on that mythology I'll never do anything with.

I figure that somewhere along the lines I need to work in DNA and RNA somehow. I already have 8 main "gods" so maybe I can map them to the DNA and RNA nucleotides (GCAT and GCAU) with the characters mapped to Thymine/Uracil being somehow different in a way the other characters aren't. But then I have to create a new evolution parable since using finches and a tree of life might get kind of lopsided. Meanwhile I still haven't figured out where the fuck the elementals will go

>one Dresden Files book
>no don't come with me woman
>they get hurt
>next book
>okay come with me woman
>they get hurt

This sure is quality character work

You forgot
>sexual tension

If you don't like it, don't read it.

A major theme of dresden is that humans have free will, but they are ultimately responsible for the choices they make. This shit happens a lot in the first few books and the ultimate conclusion is that dresden's only responsibility is to make sure people know what they're dealing with before they make a choice.

Just keep putting sweat into it man.

I don't read contemporary fantasy/science fiction/horror short stories at all, only novels

What is the modern equivalent to Weird Tales?

Literally 'weird fiction',
have a look at Laird Barron, Thomas Ligotti, Jeff VanderMeer

Ligotti high fantasy when?

What precisely is "weird fiction"

Is it just another word for lovecraftian?

>tfw we never got to see tia get fucked and used at the silver mines
>tfw no slicking up a rod with olive oil before mounting
Why live desu?

just got done reading this. i think tower of babylon and story of your life were good. the others not so much.
hell is the absence of god was terrible.

anyone else read it. what'd you think?

>How do you guys feel about works in which the first half (which could be a novel on its own) follows a particular theme whereas the second half is almost completely disjoint in focus and theme aside from a few characters

Oh so a Neal Stephenson novel?

You are the filler cancer killing this book series.

Sounds fine. Nice trips.

I enjoyed this. Are the sequels any good?

The first book is considered the worst so yeah. Have fun

It's more of the same, so if you liked the first one you'll probably like the rest of the series. The books keep introducing new characters and new pieces of the setting. Takes a while for everything to fall into place and a larger picture to form. The only real danger with the series is getting overloaded on names, places, and events because there's so much to digest as a first time reader of Malazan.

It only gets better since you will actually understand all the name drops and references as you go on.

No it's not, the first book is the best one and it only starts getting worse from then on out

That was just Seveneves though. Baroque/Cryptonomicon were completely disjointed in focus and theme between chapters, Diamond Age was completely disjointed between acts, and Anathem was one smooth chillin' hylomorphic ride.

>ywn be a bro-tier demon dog helping your master rob graves and shooting the breeze with the other familiars
>ywn help a demon snake get over his master's hangover
>ywn let a demon bat crash at your place till the cultists stop chasing him
>ywn hide a dead constable from Sherlock Holmes with your werewolf friend
>ywn fly through Unknown Kadath to ask a boon of a cat god
>ywn prevent the Old Ones from returning while hooking your boss up with a hot witch

Is the boss the one in the grim reaper get up?

What is it with fantasy and these shit covers? I'm reading this right now, and enjoying it for what it's worth, but jesus it's almost embarrassing to pull this out in the train on my commute.

Starting thr Discworld cycle. Bought the first 10 volumes.

Hope it's good and 'comfy' for this winter.

Looks like the cover of some self-published amazon ebook

I have a soft spot for a lot of shitty fantasy. I'm currently reading and it's entertaining but forgettable.

I didn't understand the appeal of Locke Lamora at all. I finished the first book, but it was predictable, boring and not half as clever as the author would've liked. There are much better options out there.

I admire the guys tenacity. I remember he use to push his books around the internet and he would not shut up about them. Got me to read two. They weren't terrible, but as said, they were forgettable.

Now his day job is writing. Got to hand it to the guy.

Why are people bothered by lightbringer anyway

The first book was pretty goddamn shit and there's so much focus on a magic system that isn't even interesting

>why are people enjoying things I don't
These books would be more your liking desu.

The actual dino poster has some taste

Breeks is the same shite as old pulp but with worse writing

English as a language is changing every day.

You expect persons to write to a different demographic audience the same way they wrote 50, 60+ years ago? How deluded are people on this board?

I mean a fucking emoji was word of the year.

Except Weeks is trash compared to his contemporaries, it's not even a "the old days were better" thing

anyone else here get their ideas/inspiration from playing vidya?

I know there's at least a few authors but I can't recall them atm

does homestuck count as vidya?

Seriously though, The urban science-fantasy mythology I've been working on for a year now is honestly something I've always wanted to see as a video game tetrology (singularity, dipole moment, trichromat, 3+1). I could potentially do it too, seeing as I'm a pretty decent programmer and have made game mods before.

The issue is sprites and audio, which I can't make for shit, and the fact that ultimately my enemy is laziness. Also, Cities can't really be mapped well in 2D

That is what these anons say.

The old days were better. That is how the entire dino meme started.

Which one of you guys posted this?

That's the shit taste chart user.

Did someone say chart?

I fucking wish, but it looks like he's stopped writing entirely due to depression and medical issues. At least Masquerade of a Dead Sword had some fantasy elements, with Faliol being a mercenary and getting in tavern brawls at the start.

He's a mad Russian with an unholy idol carved by a mad Arab. Boss is one of the guys making eyes in the foreground, the full picture has dogMC but I forgot which one is Jack and which one is Wolfman.

Any books with a strong, focal mystery aspect? As in, mixed with either fantasy or scifi.

I will vote here: it's not good.

>author exclusively writes support characters as females so he can kill them off later to satisfy his guro fetish

One on the right looks like Dracula, the one on the left looks like sherlock Holmes.

You're right. The artist probably took some liberties, because I recall in the book Holmes was at that party disguised as an old woman.

>TFW you tried and failed to get into Neil gaiman's works but your mom likes his storytelling.

What did you try?

Sandman is his best shit overall
Good Omens is his best novel

Rest is mileage may very with a few (Anansi boys) being total shit

>Breeks won't even start writing the next book for a few months at least
>At least 2 years until the next one comes out

:(

Ocean at the end of the lane.

I couldn't enjoy the storytelling with a football game in the background so I had dropped it.

Best boy?

Best girl?

I really like Sanderson's approach for Stormlight of the characters continually powering up like it's Dragonball or whatever, but I'm not a fan of his character writing.

Does anyone do a better take on that specific genre than him? Weeks fits but I don't like his writing, I didn't get into Powder Mage and whilst Will Wight fits I've read his stuff.

I'm just looking for some fun throwaway action fantasy but I can't actually think of anyone else that writes it, any suggestions?

I think Mat ended up being the only major character in WoT who I actually liked.

Try Wuxia

>when your author can't come up with any first names of more than two syllables, and those with two syllables always have emphasis on the first

such a hack

mat and lanfear

This is probably the most irrelevant and nitpicky criticism of anything that I have ever read.

Mat best boy (obviously).

Nynaeve best girl.

Bad naming is a pretty major issue if you're reading those names for 13 long books

What you described isn't bad at all though, in fact I'm not even sure you could call it criticism because you'd have to be legitimately autistic to even notice it let alone find it so egregious you condemn the author for it.

Best sci-fi that looks at the concept of God in any form?

Just read Valis and want more.

Not even that user, but rhythm is a very important component of prose. If you're tone-deaf that's your fault.

>rhythm is a very important component of prose
Is this an undergraduate writing seminar? Am I talking to serious people or pseuds here?

Frank Herbert's Godmakers trilogy. Scott Adams' God's Debris. Futurama S3E20 "Godfellas." Mistborn.

>Am I talking to serious people or pseuds here?
Yes.

>if you don't want your prose to feel like nails on a blackboard you're an autistic pseud

you're arguing that WoT has good writing, which is clearly not the case. Good plot or good characters, maybe, but not good writing.

If having names with two syllables with frontloaded stress is "nails on chalkboard" to you then yes you are an autistic pseud. I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

>If you're born without the ability to recognize rhythm that's your fault

You do realise that the point of writing seminars is to help people become better writers and fix flaws right?

Just because that's the purpose doesn't mean it's succeeding.

He likes the prose in WoT, do you expect him to have an understanding of prose?

>you're arguing that WoT has good writing
No I'm saying how many syllables a name has and where the emphasis is in the name is about as far removed from coherent criticism as you can get while still talking about writing. Like, if this is all you can dredge up to complain about WoT's prose then I take it as very, very high praise, albeit from somebody with a laughably stilted view of how prose works.

You do realize a typical undergraduate writing seminar is headed by a failed author and filled with wannabe poets and authors who cling to styleguides like holy scripture, right?

What are examples of "rhythmic" names?

>ANASTASIE
>CYRIELLE
>DONAT

>He likes the prose in WoT
Reduced to straw-man arguments already? I never said I liked it, I just said your autistic complaints about it are just that: autistic complaints. Call it bland, call it utilitarian, call it repetitive. All these descriptors and more are true and apt. Never in my life have I seen somebody become so fixated on such a minor and indeed virtually unnoticeable aspect of writing. Normally you only see this in the argumentation of pseuds who are desperate for something to complain about, which is why I find it baffling with WoT when there are so many real things to complain about that I have no idea why you have to invent reasons to criticize it.

Trochees are a fine rhythm for names. user's problem was them being the only rhythms for names.

Observe some alternative rhythms:
BRANdoch DaHA
Genly Ai
Elrond Half-Elven
Half-Cocked Jack
Enoch Root
Jonathan Strange
Orm the Strong
John Carter
Eric John Stark

Each of these names feels different and fits the nature of the character. Jonathan Strange is long and almost sing-song, the dactyl of "Jonathan" almost whimsically leading up to and preparing for the monosyllable "Strange." Eric John Stark comes in bursts. He is punching you with his name. Genly Ai has a longer first than last name, giving him a sense of exoticism, which becomes ironic when he is the most familiar character in his book. The sounds of the syllables are liquid and open, as opposed to Enoch Root which has the same rhythm but feels tough and closed, perfect for a man with secrets.

>muh autism

Let's rename them. David Stranger. Eric Starker. Gendo Aily. Enoch Roto. Those names don't feel the same, they don't contribute to their characters as much, and they don't differentiate themselves from the other names nearly as well. Look chum, the Western world was built on autism. Show a little respect for it.

What does Veeky Forums think of the viability of a blog where I detail mythical creatures native to new york and post photoshopped images of them?

I think it has nothing to do with this thread or board. Go away.

Can I read Finch without reading the other books in the series?

It's just a fucking beastiary but posted online, what the fuck is your problem?

yes

Yeah, let's just let every attention-whoring faggot in here to shill their brands. At least self-publish a novel on Amazon before you self-promote here.

If it is interesting urban fantasy then why not. Key word interesting.

>it's shit for normies

go away Scamander

I'm not promoting you dipshit. I'm asking a goddam question. If you can't hear a fucking question without going ballistic you don't belong in our fucking society, fuck off to somewhere even worse, like cripple-chan

Fuck off autist.