Okay Veeky Forums, I'm gonna start with the Greeks...

Okay Veeky Forums, I'm gonna start with the Greeks. I haven't read anything but 20th century american fiction for the last year and I'm ready to reset the clock. Based on pic related and the history of philosophy chart I have put together the following reading progression:

Mythology, Edith Hamilton
The Iliad, Homer
The Odyssey, Homer
The Histories, Herodotus
Three Theban Plays, Sophocles
Theogony,Hesiod
Works and Days, Hesiod
Elegias, Theognis
The First Philosophers
Complete Works, Plato
Complete Works, Aristotle
Fragments, Heraclitus
Fragments, Parmenides
On the Nature of Things, Epicurus
Persians and Other Plays, Aeschylus

Further reading: Epictetus, Aurelius, Cicero, Plutarch, etc.

I have a few general questions,
Anything critical that is missing? Anything that should be excised?
Are there any particularly egregious translations to be avoided?
The complete works of Plato and Aristotle is a bit ambitious, what are the highest priority writings?
Any notably great editions for any of these (preferably some that contain multiple of these)?

I haven't read most of these since high school so I am very excited to get back into it.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmnuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Also here is the other chart for those curious

Yeah, don't try and read the entire works of Plato unless you are absolutely loving it, otherwise you'll burn yourself out and give up. For Plato, I would advise you to start with the four Socratic dialogues, then onto The Republic.

And read the Oresteia by Aeschylus, rather than Persians.

Don't worry about Theognis, Parmenides, or Epicurus right now.

For The Iliad and The Odyssey, try and get hold of Fagles' translations. You can get them for your e-reader from libgen.

I can't believe people still fall for this shitty chart.
Was the general population always this autistic or has the internet created unprecedented levels?

Thanks for the input, I will adjust accordingly.
Last time I read Fagles and enjoyed it so I was thinking Lattimore this go.

docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmnuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

the file doesn't work
reee

>docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmnuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
dead link?

For an intro to the pre-Socratics should I go for Waterford/Oxford, Guthrie or Kirk, Raven and Schofield?

Thucydides senpai

Read Hesiod immediately after Homer

Read Aeschylus before Sophocles, and then Euripides. As the above user mentioned, if you're not going to read all the plays, either read the Oresteia or Prometheus Bound for Aeschylus, and the Oedipus Cycle for Sophocles (although Ajax and Electra are also great)

Read Thucydides after Herodotus. Maybe Xenophon after thise two, if you're up for another historian

Touch base with the pre-socratics before reading Plato, but don't sweat them too much. Plan to revisit them later.

Also
>complete Plato
>complete Aristotle
Quit fucking around. You haven't even read Homer yet. I have touched base with maybe 3-4 people on this board (although there are bound to be at least a few more) who have read all of Plato, including myself, and I have literally never heard of anyone who's read all of Aristotle. Neither is impossible, but you already have a lot of work to do before you even think about a commitment like that.

For Plato read at least the trial and death of Socrates, and Republic. Also consider Gorgias, Protagoras, Parmenides, Phaedrus, Symposium, Meno, Theaetetus, and Timaeus. Laws is curious but laborious. The spurious dialogues get little attention in secondary commentary, often but not entirely because they're jusf not as good.

About half of Aristotle is stuff like "on meteorology." Seriously consider reading the organon, the two ethical works, politics, and poetics. Metaphysics if you're up for it.

PS strap in tight chief; you're in for a long ride. I've been reading Greek/Roman shit almost exclusively for well over a year and still have a lot left. Let me know if you have any other questions you think I can help with.

Oh also as for editions, the Cooper Plato and the Barnes Aristotle are the stabdard english texts. That doesn't mean they offer the most commentary or assistance, but those are usually the editions which modern commentators will reference and quote. Also they're by far the best bang for your buck.

>Mythology, Edith Hamilton
Don't bother, you can find everything you need to know about Greek mythology on wikipedia. Alternatively, start with Ovid's Metamorphoses.

>Theogony,Hesiod
>Works and Days, Hesiod
>Elegias, Theognis
Don't bother reading in English

>Complete Works, Plato
>Complete Works, Aristotle
Don't bother apart from the Apology, the Republic, Poetics and Nicomachean Ethics

>Fragments, Heraclitus
Don't bother, and you won't understand anything even if you do

>Persians and Other Plays, Aeschylus
Read before Sophocles, and read the Oresteia

>Anything critical that is missing?
No Euripides, no Aristophanes

Agree with this user, although throw in Plato's erotic dialogues

Is this list a good place to start?

I know it's probably been asked a million times.

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
?

Is Mythology organized in specific parts? I'm at the last 100 pages of the Iliad, and almost none of the references went over my head (probably because I really enjoyed reading about the Greeks when younger), but I want to check some details.

My list is almost the same as OP, but with Aristophanes, less pre-Socratics and only a part of Plato and Aristotle's writings.

On Aristotle, which of his works touch on his understanding of physics? I want to take a look at it just for shiggles.

I aggree with this. Though you should throw in symposium, Phaedo and read the Persians as well.

The editions in this are weak for Aristotle and Plato, they only give Complete Works..

>Nicomachean Ethics
>Poetics
>Physics
>On the Soul
>Metaphysics
>Rhetoric

Am I good reading these works by Aristotle, in this order?

Whatever you do, don't actually get Robert Fagles's Iliad and Odyssey unless you want to hear about the time Agamemnon said it was "time to open up a can of whoop-ass."

That quote does not exist in Fagle's Homer.
I've read both the Illiad and the Odyssey translated by Fagles and they were both great.

No

>Mythology, Edith Hamilton

Do bother, it's a good introductory book you can get for less than a tenner/is readily available as an Ebook

>he hasn't read the entire Western canon and half of the Eastern canon

Sorry kiddo you might be too pleb for these parts.

kek what knockoff translation did you get because that definitely wasn't Fagles

>shitty chart.
Explain, please.

This whole list is a clusterfuck. Don't bother to read it.

we caught another one, boys

Boring af, user