Magenta is the best color

Any other Color Theory majors here?

Whats your favorite color and why is it Magenta?

Some fun sciency facts on Magenta

>Magenta is an extra-spectral color, meaning that it is not found in the visible spectrum of light. Rather, it is physiologically and psychologically perceived as the mixture of red and violet/blue light, with the absence of green.

>In the RGB color system, used to create all the colors on a television or computer display, magenta is a secondary color, made by combining equal amounts of red and blue light at a high intensity. In this system, magenta is the complementary color of green, and combining green and magenta light on a black screen will create white.

>In the CMYK color model, used in color printing, it is one of the three primary colors, along with cyan and yellow, used to print all the rest of the colors. If magenta, cyan, and yellow are printed on top of each other on a page, they make black. In this model, magenta is the complementary color of green, and these two colors have the highest contrast and the greatest harmony. If combined, green and magenta ink will look dark gray or black. The magenta used in color printing, sometimes called process magenta, is a darker shade than the color used on computer screens.

>A purple hue in terms of color theory, magenta is evoked by light having less power in green wavelengths than in blue/violet and red wavelengths (complements of magenta have wavelength 500–530 nm)

>In the Munsell color system, magenta is called red–purple

>If the spectrum is wrapped to form a color wheel, magenta (additive secondary) appears midway between red and violet. Violet and red, the two components of magenta, are at opposite ends of the visible spectrum and have very different wavelengths. The additive secondary color magenta, as noted above, is made by combining violet and red light at equal intensity; it is not on the actual spectrum.

Other urls found in this thread:

rocky-horror-picture-show.wikia.com/wiki/Magenta
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Rather, it is physiologically and psychologically perceived as the mixture of red and violet/blue light, with the absence of green.

>physiologically and psychologically perceived

What does this mean?

Are colors magic?

What does this mean?

>physiologically and psychologically perceived
i was kinda confused too, i think he means sensed through the eyes, and processed by the brain.

Is there a School that offers a Color Theory degree that isn't an Arts program? Is there a science degree in color theory?

He probably means, that each color on a spectrum corresponds to a certain wavelength of light in reality. Our visible spectrum is finite though. Which means that we sense a mix of the highest (violet) and the lowest (red) frequency we can see as a different color. A color which isn't part of the the spectrum which actually exists irl. I know that colors don't exist outside of our mind. Yet all of them but pink at least somehow represent the world outside of our minds

Pink isn't real outside are heads?

What about pink roses?

Are color theorists more legitimate than engineers?

>Picks a favorite color
>Color isn't even real.
>Being this brainlet

so basically your post is:

DAE COLOR THEROY?

MAGENTA BGUYS!~!!!!

HERES SFACTAS"::":"L::::

>Magenta is made of rad and blue and not green

>mengenta is used in cacmpturters and is made of red and blue and not green
>In the SEE MIKE color model mangina is a color and its complementary to gereen becesae its not green but a combo of blue and red and not green
>its purply but not purple but not green wevslets ibuts red/blue combine but not green

>in Muasulim color system its called red-blue but not green
>if its rapped on a colorful wheel its between red and pubrle and is red and blue but not green

Pfftchhahaha.

>The magenta used in color printing, sometimes called process magenta, is a darker shade than the color used on computer screens.

I learned about this today from some of the videos from Pixar on the Khan academy, this is because of something called gamut, which is the range of color that devices can display

> tfw OP finds out that, even with laser-based projections, still pure colors will not be displayed

>color theory
>science

Color theory is the manliest of sciences you stupid brainlet

Is it true that you don't actually see anything you merely see the light bouncing off it?

How does this make us see colors?

Also is it true that over hundreds of thousands of years the light from the sun is what is responsible for all the different colors of plants and flowers? I saw something like that on cosmos or something and I didn't get it.

The visible spectrum of light that we are able to see, also happens to represent the majority of the em spectrum coming from the sun. Other stars emit different amounts of ranges on the em spectrum. For example if we traveled to a planet of a star that emitted mostly infrared or ultraviolet light, we wouldn't be able to see well if at all. It's conceivable that if life started on one of those planets, our whole notion of color could be different

Is this the best thread on Veeky Forums in ever?

so basically your post is

CULUR

MAGINTUH BBBBBBBBBBBB

FACK"""""""""""""""

>Maguntu made rad blgree

>megun a coumpsacters
MIKE COLUAAAAR MIKE KIKE
>PUDRUPER
>if raped on culager wheen

>The visible spectrum of light that we are able to see, also happens to represent the majority of the em spectrum coming from the sun.
>just happens

Wow, evolution just happened to equip living things on Earth with the ability to see the majority of the light emitted by our sun. What are the chances of THAT happening.

It's practically another anthropic coincidence.

Do you like Magenta?

Yes but only ironically

Who doesn't?

So, basically magenta is what our brain interpretes when it sees these two waves together. Not an average of their wavelengths, not one of them, but an entirely different thing. Cool.

Green.
It's not magenta, so I can't answer why my favorite color is magenta.
Green is the color of our symbiotic plant life. Especially the eating vegetable life, which are mostly green. Green is the color of life: I do not understand why this is not everyone's best color. Sad!

>Magenta is an extra-spectral color, meaning that it is not found in the visible spectrum of light
You're blowing my fucking mind right now. Somebody explain this shit before I go postal over a color.

I was a little disoriented when I found out she was a boy

It doesnt exist in reality but your brain perceives it as such.

Its a compensation method

How can colors be real when our eyes aren't real

There's no wavelength that corresponds to pink.
But your eyes don't pick up individual wavelengths, there's cones in your eyes that pick up 3 types of wavelengths. The combination of these wavelengths is perceived as pink.

what color are radio waves?

So pink doesn't exist?

What color are pink roses in reality?

Im a cyan man tbqh

Light red, of course.

Is Magenta like the Chuck Norris of colors?

From what I understand.
Pink is minus green.
So after the white light from the sun hits a pink rose, the green is absorbed, and the reds and blues are re-emitted, giving pink.

I can't find an emission spectrum, but I think it'd be cool if someone went out and bought a nice white light. Went into a dark room shined such a light on a pink rose, and pointed a spectroscope, and draw the resulting spectra lines.

Ehh I wouldn't go that far since we can only see less than 1% of the possible colors.

>cyan
You should leave

No way of knowing.

He (bailey jay) is a man. It's bad for their health to pander to their special snowflake syndrome

Green is not going to exist on the planet by the end of this century. I would bet a million dollars

Yes
Colors are not real
Yes

I spent two years at an art school majoring in color theory now I am getting a science degree majoring in electromagnetism. But so far no, I have checked at over a thousand schools and I can not get a science degree in color theory.

Are colors more magically than magnets?

My best friend is a theoretical colorists

He does a lot of mushrooms and lives off a trust fund.

>He does a lot of mushrooms and lives off a trust fund.
living the dream

Blue is best color

magic

>A purple hue in terms of color theory, magenta is evoked by light having less power in green wavelengths than in blue/violet and red wavelengths (complements of magenta have wavelength 500–530 nm)

Does Color theory follow the scientific method

nice thread

How do colours mix anyway? How do lights of two different wavelengths mix to make a third? That's not what happens with sound is it?

While we're on the subject, why does everyone say the primary colours are red, yellow and blue? I thought it was red, green and blue. If yellow was primary then why don't monitors use yellow?

Also how does the colour spectrum wrap? Is it a man-made "abstraction"? It seems odd how red and blue (at opposite ends of the spectrum) can wrap around via purple.

Your eyes sample certain frequencies, think of it like a bandpass filter. The area under this curve gives a certain power that's hitting that kind of cone.
The addition of the 3 types of cones gives your perception of color.

t. i'm just guessing

violette is part of the visible light spektrum.

isn't magenta just a bright violette?

don't you be tellin me that shit ain't real!

mfw this thread

Christ, this thread is a trainwreck. Wish I got here earlier... Make way! Amature color aficionado coming through. I'mma explain things at you.

Let us begin with the de facto source of light, and reason for which we evolved to see color in the first place, the sun!

First of all, the sun is white. Well, sort of. The sun puts out all different wavelengths, or course, but not in equal amounts. It actually peaks in the green range. Thus it should appear green; it doesn't because the sun is just that overwhelmingly bright.

It's not yellow though, it merely seems that way when gazed upon through our blue sky. And you'll notice, the sun looks whiter when it's directly overhead, and yellower on the horizon, because it has to travel through more atmosphere to reach you. Also I know it sounds like some conspiracy theory, but NASA does artificially color their photos of the sun yellow-orange. It's stupid, and doesn't exactly contribute to the sharing of knowledge, but it's what people expect.
Really, it shouldn't surprise anyone to find out the sun is white. Why else would it split into a rainbow under a prism? You probably just never questioned it before.

Next then is the crux of the matter. . . human eyes.
You have billions of cells in the back lining of your eyeballs, which enable you to see color. They come in three varieties and detect Red Green and Blue, or, more accurately, Long Medium and Short wavelengths of light. There's also rods, which are your light-detectors and give you vanilla black-and-white vision.

You'll know that objects reflect light and it is that which reaches us that we can perceive. What you may not know is that an object which only reflects back Yellow, versus one that reflects only Red and Green light, with BOTH look Yellow. Your brain adds them together to get whatever's the midpoint.

(1 of 2)

(2 of 2)
(This where the Magenta thing this thread is about comes in.)

Have you ever wondered why, if color is just one small snippet out of the wider electromagnetic spectrum, humans see in a color WHEEL? Not a color rectangle? The spectrum runs from Red to Violet, (bordering them, infrared and ultraviolet,) and Magenta is nowhere inside there. Yet we can still see it. This is due to one simple fact that many people don't pick up on; color is an illusion.

Color is nothing more than an easy trick the brain utilizes to help tell objects apart. Which is why color is relative to the viewer. It has no implications on physical reality. You know how black absorbs heat? That isn't because of any inherent properties of black itself, it's because black objects are black to us in the first place because they absorb light, and if they absorb light, of course they'll radiate it as heat.

Picture a Magenta object. It reflects Red and Blue parts of the spectrum, but absorbs Green. Now what your brain COULD do when it senses equal amounts of Red and Blue light, is to interpret it as the midpoint, which would be Green. That's a perfectly valid option. But you HAVE a cone specifically FOR detecting Green, and in this instance it isn't going off. This confuses the brain so it just invents a new color for you, linking both ends of the spectrum in a smooth wheel.

All this is a long winded way of saying that Magenta "exists" just as much as any other color, because they're all fake in the first place. But it's "extra spectral" because you only see it when Red and Blue light mix. You can't get it with just one pure strand of light. This goes for Purple too. It's part of the reason these colors are so often used to represent magic.

I don't know why this is surprising people, there are lots of colours not on the spectrum, like brown.

brown is just dark orange

So could difference evolved live forms see magenta as something else?

Also can you explain pink?

What would happen if you bring a pink rose into a blackroom and shine a white light on it over a prism like this person said

and magenta is just a mix of red and blue. What's your point?

The point being that it is in fact on the spectrum. It's just dark orange.

Brown is unique, in that it's the only color distinct enough to be its own thing by just desaturating a normal color. It's probably this way to more clearly see dirt and tree trunks.

Surely.

Well most mammals, (most primates, even,) have two color cones, not three. We're BLESSED to have trichromatic vision, and while I don't pretend to know the nuances of how animals like dogs and cats see color, I know they cannot see red, and they see a lot more yellows and blues. And like almost every land organism, they are most sensitive to green light for obvious reasons.

Since the red cone evolved in primates, it's possible that no animals in the world experience red the same way we do. Which means it's up in the air whether we see magenta the same way as other creatures, since it's a combo of red and blue.

It can probably be assumed that mammals at least see the same greens and blues and stuff, but with creatures as far removed as reptiles for example it's impossible to know. Also, people think that bats probably echolocate in color. It's only a myth that bats have poor eyesight, but it just makes sense they'd use tools they already have and adapt them.

Pink isn't an exact color. It's just a blanket term that includes shades of magenta and light red, since they look similar.

Analysing the light coming off a magenta rose would show it being a combo of red and blue. Dunno if that's the answer you were looking for though.

>It's just dark orange.

greyscale colours aren't on the spectrum either mate

B- But it's not greyscale. It's just orange....but darker.

In other words, orange but without a lot of chroma in it.

Oh wait, nevermind, you're just saying that if you look at the spectrum, you can't point to brown on there.

I'm a certified dumb here on Veeky Forums.

red

>so basically your post is
CLR
MB
F-
>Mag md rb
>migcump
MCMK
>PUR
>rape wheel

So basically your post is
>rape

>Have you ever wondered why, if color is just one small snippet out of the wider electromagnetic spectrum, humans see in a color WHEEL? Not a color rectangle?
>Also how does the colour spectrum wrap? Is it a man-made "abstraction"? It seems odd how red and blue (at opposite ends of the spectrum) can wrap around via purple.

Er, yes, I have.

But she's not. She's a transexual transylvanian, but that's just the name of her planet and galaxy. She's a woman/presents as female, only Riff-Raff is more ambiguous.

Hes a man

rocky-horror-picture-show.wikia.com/wiki/Magenta

No she's not

Kden

Bailey Jay is a man

My favourite color is orange.
How long do I've got left, doc?