Animals and suicide

Do animals commit suicide?

Are there factory farmed animals that try to commit suicide?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DI3u7g8PPEA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_suicide
oddee.com/item_98725.aspx
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_of_despair
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=DI3u7g8PPEA

>Do animals commit suicide?
Yes.

>Are there factory farmed animals that try to commit suicide?
Depends what you mean by factory animals. I know cows have taken their own lives.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_suicide

oddee.com/item_98725.aspx

How can I know that any of those cases are intentional suicides rather than accidental deaths?

I guess you can't.
It would be silly for a creature that has lived in water for its entire life to drown, though.
I have no idea why it happened, though.

If this is your mindset you only really have two choices:

1. Teach a suicidal animal to talk and ask it if it's considered killing itself.
2. Set up a large-scale experiment in which you induce animals to kill themselves, e.g. by torturing them, and record the results.

I knew a dog that killed himself by jumping in front of a car. He was mad he was a dog, he wanted to be a human. Too smart. He'd bark at the hallway lights, then jump and bite the switch on or off, then bark at it some more. There was one moment where he was watching someone in his family do something with their hands, and he looked at his own paws and tried to use them, and got frustrated. He was pissed off most of the time, he even bit me once when his owner sat sort of close to me. He was probably in love with her. Sad story really.

Also, cetaceans.

Thanks for the meme user

Even if u did that it's hard to tell if it's intentional. I'm pretty sure it's not unheard of of people under a lot of stress cracking and doing something stupid unintentionally. Even the starving yourself like on wiki is necessarily suicide.

They do not have thoughts or feelings. Chems screw up their instinct for survival, and they do mindless, animal stuff.

Cells commit suicide and murder on a massive scale.

Maybe what we perceive as suicide is really altruism.

one time i saw a praying mantis walk straight into a fire at night. it was like it wanted to.

there's also a slug or snail that reproduces by asking birds to eat it, called the suicide slug i think

>Do animals commit suicide?

Absolutely not. The deaths purported as being suicide are the result of ignorance, cognitive disease, or direct life cycle application.

>They do not have thoughts or feelings.

Incorrect. This is 2017, I don't even know how anyone would think this.

>Chems screw up their instinct for survival, and they do mindless, animal stuff.

Correct to a point.

> Absolutely not. The deaths purported as being suicide are the result of ignorance, cognitive disease, or direct life cycle application.
Dolphins do commit suicide by suffocation. They can simply stop breathing and die.

maybe that's just because they're retarded

Some species of termites have a warrior caste that contains a chemical self destruct mechanism. If they are being overwhelmed they can blow themselves up to encase attacking ants in a quick hardening compound that entombs the ants and prevents them from continuing to attack the rest of the termite mound.

Considering that they had no problem breathing up until that point, it's doubtful that they were too stupid to know how.

Two monkies killed themselves by refusing to eat in this experiment

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_of_despair

Perhaps they only have instinctual knowledge of breathing. You know how when you think about how you're breathing, you HAVE to take active control of your breathing because you've stopped doing it automatically? Maybe dolphins don't know how to take that active control, but can be smart enough to take notice of their own breathing and end it as an automatic process.

> Perhaps they only have instinctual knowledge of breathing.
That isn't the way dolphins breath. Dolphins, and some other marine mammals, are not automatic breathers like humans and other land animals are. A human, no matter how much he tries to just hold his breath, will eventually automatically breath. This is how drowning people ultimately die. It's not just that they run out of air, it's that they eventually automatically breath in, their lungs fill with water, and then they die. Dolphins don't do that. Literally every breath they take is under active control, and if they want to any dolphin can kill itself simply by not breathing anymore. This is how some dolphins in captivity have killed themselves, by just choosing to not breathe anymore.

How do we even know that? Can you look into a dolphin's brain as he breathes and see wheteher or not it's consciously initiated?

your cow of a mother did

Sort of. With humans it's fairly easy to tell. You just knock them out and notice that they automatically go on breathing. This is true for most land animals, since you're better off automatically breathing even when unconscious.

Dolphins don't normally go unconscious in the same way that humans do. Instead, their brains are compartmentalized on a level well beyond a human, allowing them to put portions of their brain to sleep while other parts remain active, rotating which parts sleep and which are active over the course of the day. The active parts maintain things like breathing while other parts sleep. However, unlike a human that can go on breathing without active instruction from the brain, if you were somehow able to stop a dolphin's brain from ordering its body to breathe, the dolphin will stop breathing.