Not sure if there is a Psychology board:

Not sure if there is a Psychology board:

Anyone here diagnosed with Schizophrenia?

What parts of your life does it affect

Does it help to talk about it

Bumping for interest

Noo motivation, no energy, can't think. Constant anxiety irritable makes you depressed. Can't do shit. Feel like a 4 year old.

I was diagnosed with schizoaffective (which is basically on/off bipolar and schizophrenia, co-morbidity symptoms) about 4-5 years ago. So I've been living with this for a while now.

>What parts of your life does it affect?
it affects a few things like social life, personality (maybe? i've always been kindof an "odd ball"), lack of motivation (might be depression?), among a few other things.

Most people my age are already working on their careers, and I don't really have a plan. I know I don't want to be on SSI all my life or have these full time, dead-end jobs. So, yeah.

I've been on SSI for 3-4 years, and I idealistically would like to get off of it. Because of my socio-political stance, I feel it's contributing to depression symptoms. Sometimes I have mindfog during work and I feel that affects my ability to lead and keep the jobs I have gotten, so I'm kindof stuck. And I think that that's the biggest problem.

Recently, within the past 1-2 years, I've been getting better, since i've been working and things like that. I've had good friends help me out with job opportunities, which i've taken gleefully. Very few friends know I have this condition.

>does it help to talk about it
maybe? I talked about it with multiple different therapists for the first several years. but I find just hanging out with the people I can relate to is the best form of therapy. I think most people are like that.

The therapy was also coupled with strong medication, like heavy doses of Seroquel, which essentially put me into a figurative coma-- I never wanted to do anything, motivation was gone, and I felt like a "zombie". That, coupled with personal experiences from medication. Are the things which turned me off to medication as a whole.

i'm not diagnosed but i'm pretty sure i have it lol

do you think some of that is from medication (if you're taking it)?

My brother is schizophrenic. He lives with my mom, who doesn't make him take meds because of some hippie individualist bullshit she says like "I don't believe in labels such as 'schizophrenia'" etc.. It has been years since I visited them because every single time she wants me to "help" but she won't just fucking cooperate with the help that actually needs to happen (i.e. seeing a mental health professional and making him take the meds they will almost certainly prescribe).

To his credit, he has managed to stay out of legal trouble except for the very first time he was committed for punching my mom. He comes close to getting in trouble for sort of menacing, threatening statements and behaviour sometimes. He called 911 and said he was a Navy SEAL and that he might kill a bunch of cops, so they sent a bunch of cops to my moms house in the middle of the night. Somehow nothing came of that though.

Last time I talked to him he was saying some shit about how our mom isn't really his mom. I guess he thinks he was adopted and that our parents always lied to him about it.

samefag here.

Forgot to add: 60% of schizophrenics will never, ever accept the fact that they are schizophrenics. No amount of therapy or medication will ever get them to acknowledge it. You have to make up reasons for them to take their medication, or just tell them to fucking do it because you said so.

antipsychotics are the biggest memes in the medicine industry, but seeking a good therapist and giving him time is really important.

Antipsychotics are overused and prescribed for random stupid things to people who don't even have psychosis. However my brother is schizophrenic and experiences psychosis. I also know antipsychotics have all kinds of bad side effects but I still think they're the best option.

If you disagree then I would be curious to hear why.

My brother was diagnosed with schizophrenia. He sits around all day watching old anime over and over while taking notes on God only knows what.

He doesn't shower and rarely leaves the house except to ask the neighbors for cigarettes.

>cigarettes
it's pretty interesting how almost all schizophrenics smoke

My sister was diagnosed schizophrenia (shes not anymore thought so im guessing it was just a long psychosis)
She thought the antipsychotics were poison so she never took them, the staff at the psychward watched her take them but she hid them under her tongue. she then got into a dialog with a really good psychologist and over time they planned to stop with the medicine and focus on just therapy. Shes not the artsy type but she got into more creative crafts like poetry and the piano and other instruments through music therapy. Shes quite analytical and she hates stuff like post-modernism (so not a hippie) thought she is extremely against drugs in psychology.

I know this is just a ranty text and not really any arguments against the use of antipsychotics (i guess you will have to google if you want some real arguments) this is just a story about my sister that was in somewhat of the same situation as your brother.

Yeah, I wonder if he would get better or manageable with therapy alone. He was in therapy but my mom is really weak about making him do anything so he quit. Anyway, therapy alone has to be better than nothing

A good psychologist is really important, i dont think the smartest choice for your brother would be to take him off the drugs as they could help.
I think one of the reasons my sister came out of the psychosis was because she had a say in how it should be done (dropping the drugs) maybe it helped as a strong placebo. I dont really know i can only speculate.
Good luck with your brother and you, wish you the best.

>What parts of your life does it affect
Every part, though I'm not schizo (merely depressed being in a world full of severely emotionally- and mentally-stunted people).
Drugs are the most often the best society can do; and sometimes people find a drug that works, temporarily, which is better than people suffering.

Can't really tell desu. Partly depression partly schizophrenia part medicine?

If it's real bad then medication important (bad delusions hallucination anxiety dangerous behaviour)

But what would that percentage looked like if we caught schizophrenia developing earlier? For example my brother started his symptoms at 13 and was completely psychotic at 14-15, yet because we were able catch it relatively early he is actually doing fine now. Did ECT and tried a bunch of different meds until they worked properly with minimal side effects. point being his insight into his condition is as clear as everyone elses when he is experiencing none or little symtpoms.

Probs abit but we still don't know enough about the disease to know about catching it early effecting it. How can you tell if they were gonna be fine anyway. One concern is that apparently the majority of people that start having symptoms don't even have full blown psychosis eventually. Hard to predict if someone will eventually get it. Overstigmwtizing may be bad .

I am diagnosed with schizophrenia. Sometimes i believe my diagnosis sometimes not.

I dunno if it effects anything except being scared from time to time. I was always pretty lazy and still am. Depression goes to go hand in hand with it aswell but for me its more like mood swings with sometimes persistent sadness of reasonless euphoria.

It somewhat helps. There was study putting talking therapy along the same effectiveness as anti psychotics.

But the best thing is a support network. People i can trust and i dont pull into conspiracy thoughts.