What books are you reading right now?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00YTY8NLG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
realhistorychannel.org/THE BAD WAR2apdfversion.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=2PuNPTx8Ki0
vho.org/aaargh/fran/livres3/HoaxV2.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=nAF1-aLqKY4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nice set. Although you won't learn much multi-reading.

I keep a journal of musings about what I read and try to explain and sometimes comment on what I've learned. I'll be fine.

currently reading...
>The Road to Serfdom, by Hayek
>The Collected Poems of Ray Bradbury

how's high school going

>musings
christ

I've never had problems reading multiple books, though if it's been a while I usually go 5-10 pages back from my bookmark when I pick something back up.

Huh. that picture is right side up on my computer.

how did you survive grade school if you couldn't handle 3 non-related books at once

The Landmark Thucydides m8

>mfw now know that some shit tier polis called Corcyra was responsible for this whole shitty debacle

80 pages in, it's awesome so far

So the extent of my experience with WH40K is the various video games, occasional visits to Veeky Forums, and hours of reading about it on various wikis.
What books should I read to get more into it?

The Divine Comedy, Ciardi translation.

Reading lone star still. Wife is reading the rushdie book.

infinite meme
>that cover
*tips fyodora*

Gravity and Grace - Simone Weil

What meme is this?

1Q84

Its posts like these that remind me why I try and quit this website.

st johns?

i hope this retard reading stephen king isnt my peer

僕のNigga

stop being so condescending you insufferable faggot, you probably have no friends.

That's a skookum Timex bro.

Thanks man.

Finally got around to reading Camus' The Stranger

Pretty much what I expected, but I really enjoyed it and just want to hug Meursault rn

i decided to get back into reading so i just picked up infinite jest and crime and punishment. i also have a copy of the pale king my teacher had us study excerpts from, so i want to get around to that soon.

i just finished that like an hour ago
the payoff when he freaks out at the end is so good

Gravitys Rainbow

Storm of Steel
Utopia

The Case of Comrade Tulayev and The Condition of the Working Class in England..

Also what watch is that?

amazon.com/gp/product/B00YTY8NLG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pic related and Brave new world: revisited

how about eisenhorn by abnett retard

>What books are you reading right now?
I just started reading this book called "The Bad War" that is really awesome, check it out:

realhistorychannel.org/THE BAD WAR2apdfversion.pdf

Catch-22. Not nearly as bad as some posters had led me to believe. At the very least it has given me a number of good laughs.

>The Sound and the Fury
Having a hard time understanding just what the fuck is happening, freaking Benjy man

You know they mostly used the exhaust from a diesel engine, not zyklon. People kill themselves in ordinary garages with exhaust all the time, you don't need something super hermetic.

They also used conscripted Jews to clear out the bodies so it's not like safety was a big concern. Just keep the prisoners physically trapped, gas them, wait a bit, send in the sonderkommando. Super simple stuff.

Just finished Spectres and Stand Tall. Working on This Book Is Full Of Spiders, some short stories by Stephen King, Intensity by Dean Koontz, some true story from the perspective of a boy whose family was killed in the holocaust (that one's taking a while cause I can't handle that typa shit), and I'm going to start re-reading The Supernaturalists tomorrow.

thanks fella

Such a sad book to be desu

But if it's Australian hours on Veeky Forums it means I gotta go sleep.

It's 5:30am here

forgot webm, goddamn Veeky Forums sys errors

My backlog. Who /reclam/ here?

Also r8 my cacti

>PHEN
>KING

Glad I took a closer look, almost got baited.

What/how many languages do you speak?

Are all reclam books the same size?
I own two,but those are short works so I'm not sure

Sachnovelle by Stefan Zweig
An e-reader(Reading Dream-quest of unknown Kaddath by H.P Lovecraft and Konosuba )
Selected poems and Novellas of Frigyes Karinthy
Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
An essay concerning human understanding by John Locke

>You know they mostly used the exhaust from a diesel engine, not zyklon

Jewish Holocaust historian David Cole Debunks the "gassing people with diesel engine exhaust" theory in this video (this video is probably blocked in your country because your government doesn't want you to learn the truth):

youtube.com/watch?v=2PuNPTx8Ki0

The "gassing Jews" theory doesn't hold up because the SS guards did not have gas masks so the guards would have gassed themselves and kill themselves via gassing if any jews had actually been gassed. You should read a real book on the holocaust like David Cole / David Stein's book or this one:

vho.org/aaargh/fran/livres3/HoaxV2.pdf

the magic mountain
on the freedom of the will
narcissus und goldmund
the doll (prus)

Been reading The Recognitions for about a month now. Only at page 600. 350 more to go.

>stephen king book
ultimate pleb, and why is there a retard on the front? some sort of dumb ass mass murdering autist?

German, English, Italian and some Latin.

Yeah, they fit perfectly into any jacket pocket.

high quality shitpost

Behead All Satans

Even the Hegel and Schopenhauer ones?
Nice to know.

Special ed detected.

Butcher's Crossing.

Pretty good so far. Like Stoner, its 11/10 writing quality. My only problem is that I have noticed that Williams uses a million semi-colons.

One book at a time or multiple Veeky Forums?

Currently reading: Bleak House, The Shallows, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

The first two are for uni, last one's for pleasure. For the longest time I swore that reading multiple books at the same time was detrimental to my comprehension. Honestly though I'm a big fan of it, when one book starts to become "too much" I can pick up another and focus on that one instead. It's a great deal of fun actually, although I'm probably giving a little bit too much focus to Portrait currently, given that I'm not reading it for a class or anything.

But don't you feel that in focusing on one at a time, you will have a greater comprehension, and a s a result gain more from a singular book rather than from several?

Multiple books,but they shouldn't be on the same subject.
Like the "avid reader pasta" says,it helps keeping reading fresh.

Examples of books that are on the same subject?

Reading two greek plays at the same time.
(Reading Goethe's Faust and Doktor Faustus?)
(ReadingP aradise Lost and the Tragedy of Man?)

Joseph Campbell's Hero With a Thousand Faces
Dion Fortune's The Mystical Qabalah
Andrzej Sapkowski's The Last Wish

Plato's Republic

I want to get into philosophy and it seemed like a good starting point

I understand where you're coming from, but I personally disagree. I take really detailed annotations, which really helps me focus in. Plus, all the books are very different. It's not like I'm reading 3 Dickens' novels, one's a Dickens epic, one's a nonfiction on neuroscience, the other one's a short Irish stream-of-consciousness thing.

Sorry for the stupid questions but in what way do you take annotations on book? I'd like to know. Also, do you annotate on the actual book or take notes on another notebook of some kind? Do you feel as if you enjoy it more when you take notes?

I'm reading Steppenwolf

Last 100 pages of the Iliad. Very interesting book.

I've started Notes from Underground today as an interlude. I'm studying for an exam and don't want to go on with the Iliad while tired, but I also want to read something today.

Non-anglophone anons, how does your reading speed vary depending on the language of the book? My speed for the Iliad (Fagles) is about 20-25 pph, while I've read 15 pages of Notes in 15 minutes (the translation is in my native language).

The Republic is the first "classic" I read that I thought deserved the title. It really is a fantastic work, even if you don't agree with him.

Mine:
>Enquiry into Human Understanding
>The Emperor's New Mind
>Waterloo (generic book on it)
>Matter and Motion (Maxwell)

Swapping books is a top tier way of learning quickly, as well as recapping what you read last time you picked up that book, which aids memory.

What does this gain you?

The Last Wish is GOAT
Great book series, great video games.

Bram Stoker - Dracula

I'm about half finished with "How Jesus Became God", and I just started to read "How to Read and Why"; the former is very interesting with it's presentation of Graeco-Roman and Jewish concepts of divinity, and I haven't read enough of the latter to have an opinion yet.

Random question: What are some good bookshops in New York city?

>Hegel

Noice.

White Nights and Lolita

someone forgot to take his lithium today

multiple, i can't focus on one thing like that, 3 books is the sweet spot

No idea the name in English.

Man'en Gannen no Futróbóru in Japanese

I read with a highlighter, which I use to highlight passages that are either a) important to the plot, so as to help me keep track (this is especially useful in giant novels like Bleak House or 2666), or b) just really nicely written (think like metaphor or symbolism or poetic language).

I also read with a pen. I use this to either a) box out certain words/short passages that are really cleverly or subtly written, or b) write notes in the margins, identifying anything from character development to allusion.

I can upload a page from my copy of Bleak House if you'd like an example?

not the same guy but i would like to see this

the reason i dont make annotations to passages that i like is because that destroys the magic of it. When that passage first impressed you it was just normal text like the rest of the book, when you draw arrows to it i think it actually takes something away.

Here y'all go. Passages like this where i take notes like a crazy person are very rare, maybe once every 50-75 pages, and are never this intensive. This passage is very important though, and honestly I felt like I kinda figured out the book after I took these notes and kept thinking about the passage.

Apologies for handwriting. I'm usually pretty dece at writing neatly, but in my personal books I just kinda chickenscratch off to the side.

The good thing about that is that your grandsons will not sell your books to buy drugs

Yes they could, who wouldn't want a copy of Bleak House replete with expert analysis ;-)

My Struggle Volume 2

Best thing I've read all year. Afterwards I'll probably read some Laxness.

Thanks for this

Kys

Yeah dude no problem

>someone forgot to take his lithium today

Video related:

youtube.com/watch?v=nAF1-aLqKY4

Why is it that one side of this debate is posting rational / logical arguments based on facts that cite sources (videos and pdfs of entire books) while the other side relies only on ad hominem attacks, name calling, and fabrications?

Wrote 15000 words in the last week

the rise and fall of the third reich, ~p.600
infinite jest, ~p.400
a history of philosophy vol. 1, ~p.250

This is a good idea. Wish I had started off the thread this way.

The Republic - p. 175
A Brief History of Time - p. 86
The Metamorphoses - p. 61
Albert Camus collection - p. 571 (about halfway through the Myth of Sisyphus)

>I keep a journal of musings about what I read and try to explain and sometimes comment on what I've learned.

autism

Found my book again, the holocaust one is called Night. Not the best writing, but still nice to get a different type of story and perspective.

kys

Actually sounds like a good habit for a writer.