"Hey, user! Wanna watch this cool movie with us?"

"Hey, user! Wanna watch this cool movie with us?"

"It's called The Martian."

>movie is praised for it's scientific accuracy
>at one point in the movie the protagonist astronaught lights a candle in a dome with pressurized oxygen attached to it, and he has a limited amount of oxygen

was anybody else bothered by this? Seems like it was simultaneously extremely dangerous due to the risk of oxygen explosions and also wasteful since he had access to electric lights

>Seems like it was simultaneously extremely dangerous due to the risk of oxygen explosions

Oxygen is not explosive. It enhances the flammability of materials in its environment.

And yes, it's a bad choice. Did he have a choice? What I wonder is, ... they brought candles?

TV is lies from seducer producers. You can't expect intelligence from them.

Since I took the time to spike your drinks with LSD out of generosity, I'd appreciate it if we could watch Gantz instead.

I am but a lowly california community college attendee, what was so wrong with it?

I remember the orbit recalculation and climax of the movie being minor asspulls, but I don't recall (or was not smart enough to recognize) anything garishly incorrect.

the one thing about the movie that really got me was
> has hydrogen
> has oxygen
> has hydrogen fuel cells
> decides to burn the fucking hydrogen instead of running it through the fuel cells.
mfw

Have you watched the movie ? He uses a wooden cross from another scientist.

Which cc user

"I'm always down for a movie. Where's the popcorn?"

He's on Mars, where the soil is, on average, 14% water. Where he landed, the soil should have been about 5% water. He wanted 250 liters of water for his crop, which could have been had from about 2 cubic meters of soil. He's equipped with drills and other tools. (this is setting aside the fact that he basically already had the water he needed, because the author ignored the human body's production of water from the metabolism of food)

He has a magic machine which takes CO2 and makes breathable air, producing limitless amounts of oxygen.

When he needs water, his best idea is to scavenge hydrazine tanks from a lander, bring it into the middle of his habitat, drip it openly in the middle of his habitat to sizzle on a catalyst bed, and try to burn the hydrogen that's released with the magic air machine.

If you know anything about hydrazine, you know how terrible an idea this is. While the author acknowledges its explosive hazard, he totally ignores the fact that it's *extremely* toxic (and that it's entirely unnecessary to separate the decomposing and burning steps). He's also leaning very hard on the magic air machine. It doesn't make sense that it would just take these loads in stride.

It's the same in the book. You can tell that the writer just didn't want to think about some parts. He never worries about the magic air machine, because, you know... it's just air! It always works perfectly. It never lacks the power to keep up with the load placed on it, nor is there any mention of the power needed, even though splitting CO2 into carbon and oxygen takes a lot of energy. There's never any maintenance on it.

>they expect accurate solutions to unsolved problems

Shut the fuck up and enjoy the movie.

They aren't "unsolved problems". The reason nobody at all lives on Mars is that it costs too much to get a ride there, not because there are unsolved problems about how to survive there.

It gets shit wrong that's common in submarines, chemistry labs, and marijuana grow ops, that you could look up in minutes in a library or on the internet.

Did you even read the damn book?

Yes. Were you just overawed by napkin math disregarding important considerations?

Produce a better book then faggot.

It was accurate enough. There was nothing in it that was 'wrong'. Are you incapable of doing anything without going full autist mode? It was a book, written purely for entertainment.

This is supposed to be a botanist, but he has no concept of how potato mounding works, or the high-school-level biology fundamentals to see why his version can't possibly work.

"When the potato plants breach the surface, just bury them! Those leaves don't need light or anything!"

those lights were probably LEDs which wouldnt light shit

>There was nothing in it that was 'wrong'.
Are you fucking kidding? There was hardly anything in it that was right!

From how he got stranded, through how he survived, to how he got home, none of it made any real sense. It's just a fantasy story dressed up in napkin math and handwaving references to "I skimmed an encyclopedia article"-level science, to impress the ignorant who dream of having practically-useful competence in science.

I fail to see the problem with this extract.

PCC
>Half a mile from Caltech and light-years behind in curriculum.

Holy fuck are you retarded. Its a sci-fi story, not a fucking journal article. The story comes first, the science comes after. And really, the science here was at least plausible. If anything that just reflect on the quality of the average sci-fi book.

>The story comes first, the science comes after.
What story? The story is just a series of problems he solves. Without the technical descriptions of what he's doing and why, there's just a series of bad jokes.

>the science here was at least plausible
To who? Not to anyone who has even a basic understanding of the science being referenced.

>"this the movie where he grows space potatoes out of human feces? More like pooptatoes LMAO"
>"Nice one user hehehe"
>*High five*

>He searches other people's computers for a file with an ASCII-HEX code table instead of simply typing 'man ascii' into a fucking shell window

>ITT: Stop liking what I do not like! No you start liking what I like! No you! No you!

I mean...we're literally about to be living on mars you guys. People have this stuff figured out already.

Mars has very weak wind, so the whole cataclysm of the movie is based on a sham.

read the book instead! all the thoughts and logs are shortened to hell in the movie.

plus the book is a good read anyway.

I hope Musk takes lots of potatoes.