Professor is a female

>Professor is a female
>During the 2nd class, makes blatant mistakes on simple math and insists she's right when someone tries to correct her
What are some red flags that you should drop a class immediately?

>taking ancient history class
>"did you know africa is the largest in the world? asia just looks bigger than africa because racists intentionally distorted the map."
>do a 10 second google inquiry
>asia has 140% the surface area as africa
Humanities is shit.

largest continent*

>women
>STEM
>2017

Mercator prohection did have racist intentions though, they made the north huge to make Europe seem more important. They also placed North at the top of the map to give it importance. Maps are extremely powerful tools used to influence the public in great success even to this day. Take some cartography or GIS courses if you can, you'll be surprised at what you can do with the technology.

>taking computer science 3
>"professor" (only has a masters but teaches some classes) rants about his biomedical sciences degree and shit related to that and not about programming
>doesn't show us how to do what we're supposed to be learning, most we get is 15 minute skim over a powerpoint

good thing I'm switching majors next semester, fuck CS

projection*

>professor talks about politics when it has nothing to do with the class

Isn't north up on most maps because >90% of the people on earth live in the northern hemisphere?

>Blaming CS for the fact that you go to a shitty school
Lol

What at major are you switching to and what is wrong with CS? I'm just about to change to CS.

I don't know I just really don't like programming, it was fun to do at first but now it's just extremely autistic. I don't like poring over hundreds and thousands of lines of code and making sure every little thing works right, etc over and over and over again.

Also I don't feel like I'm learning any useful skills, I'm learning some hyper specialized bullshit that's not actually useful for doing anything except software development and even then I've never had a job doing software development so I'm sure more than half of what I know is useless.

I don't program for fun either like 1/2 the autists who take CS, and I don't learn programming languages in my free time. Basically it just feels like CS rewards being a hyper autist that devotes all their time to programming which I'm not and don't enjoy.

>mercator was a european guy during the age of exploration
>makes a europe-centric map projection that focuses on europe and recently discovered america

He was a man of his times, its unfair to say it was intentionally racist or something like that. Playing up power dynamics perhaps but he was just some euro cartographer from an age when not being a racist was not enslaving someone from outside your major geographical zone.

>Mercator prohection did have racist intentions though

Intentions was it intentional though? Mercator could have mad the southern hemisphere full-sized by making a shit-ton of blank white "map" at the bottom to represent all of Antarctica in the projected map, but that would seem a waste of space if nothing else. In any event, not showing the full extent of Antarctica does not seem racist against anybody but penguins..

I am also unsure about your assertion that the Mercator projection invented orienting maps with North at the top. (Skipping usual explanation about the origins of the word"orienting.")

>a field rewards people that devote all their time to that field
gee I would have never guessed.

Thanks. I'm only just now learning to program. I like it so far, but I'm just now starting so it's hard to say for sure if I'll enjoy it in the future. But I like math and I've always been pretty autistic, also I've spent my entire childhood and teenage years staring at computers. The idea of tediously going through code sounds way more appealing to me than anything even remotely social. I'm obviously years behind but I've got an autistic dedication and spend all my free time studying math or learning programming so hopefully I at least get to a passable skill level in the next few years.

What are you changing your major to?

>racist intentions

>Choose a projection that allows you to show the most detail in the area you live
>racist

Please be trolling

>I don't like poring over hundreds and thousands of lines of code and making sure every little thing works right, etc over and over and over again.

Staring at a screen all day looking for bugs: boring.
Repeatedly testing features to validate the functionality: again, boring.
Listening to retarded co-workers try to explain what they want: disgusting.
Programming for their stupidity with descriptive prompts that they are too stupid or lazy to read: depressing.
Going to meetings and having to listen to a bunch of mindless business school idiots babbling nonsense: again, depressing.
Trying to get a director to a make a decision and accept responsibility: impossible.
Trying to get a director to care about confidentiality: difficult.
Having to depend on ignorant network and computer techs: sickening.
Having to clean up after some ignorant person pretended to be a programmer: hard.
Trying to get co-workers to scratch out a draft of the reports they want: exhausting.

It's a horrible job. But most are.

>They also placed North at the top of the map to give it importance.
Maybe because Europe is and was more relevant than South America or Australia, cunt

He was racist against a hemisphere

Is the Southern Hemisphere being racially profiled?

Kill yourself.

If you believe that a diffeomorphism between a sphere and the R^2 can be racist you are too far gone from sanity to stay alive.

You are so deep in your ideology that everything has become racist.

This happend for historical reasons (Europe was the most well cartographed land (because the only civilized people lived there)) and if a fucking Nigger was ever smart enough to figure out what a map was before any European had already cartographed half the world maybe maps would look different.

This user is being memed hard.
He fell for the CS is a meme meme.
Undoubtedly, he switched to math.
Next he's gonna delude himself into thinking the 300k starting meme is actually true.
He'll quickly realize the math has no jobs meme is not a meme.
Shoulda stayed with CS

>implying math majors don't get a 300k dollar bill with their diploma

>Racist map projections

I hope this is a meem

that picture was me in computer science. I did not do well on the AP exam

> maps aren't culturally biased
only for the last 3 millenia

Holy shit i'm dying, post more user

>They also placed North at the top of the map to give it importance
Build a compass. Hold it in your hand. Look at compass. Dial points toward north. Dial is pointing to top of compass. Of course north is going to be on the top in a map, you idiot.

No shit. They understood that such a projection would distort the earth. No fucking shit Europe was more important to them--because they were from Europe. I don't understand how that's racism.

>They understood that such a projection would distort the earth.
ANY projection introduces some sort of distortion. Which distortion matters least to you varies by use the map will be put to, and by esthetics.

what does being a female have to do with it?

any professor making blatant math mistakes on 2nd class and insisting they are correct is a red flag, male or female

Moving dial points in all directions, pal. A needle point north AND south.

Those are two seperate points.
Having a female professor is a red flag

Doesn't mean you should misrepresent maps, retard.

>Please be trolling

It wasn't most detailed, retard. Are you just talking out of your ass? It was wrongly detailed by definition.

>If you believe that a diffeomorphism between a sphere and the R^2 can be racist you are too far gone from sanity to stay alive.
>and if a fucking Nigger was ever smart enough to figure out what a map was

Do you enjoy contradicting yourself in 10 seconds?

Fuck off, brainlet.

>I hope this is a meem

Stop talking about things you know nothing about.

Congratulations, you have just witnessed the fruits of feminism.

You might want to take the course at a later semester (with a new professor), or do self study.

Then again, you can probably get a good grade just by sucking up to the professor at this point.

>>Professor is a female
That's completely on you. Haven't you heard of rate my professor? Or even just looking at the teachers name when registering?

Assume you are not genuinely interested in the subject matter (why take the class then?), the following are red flags:
>Professor is super critical of Trump, to the point of allowing "days off" to recoup following the election. Not saying they should support Trump, but there needs to be a divide between politics and work/academic life.
>As an extension to above,if law/politics seeps into the class and is a constant talking point when it otherwise shouldn't (virtually all STEM subjects apart from patent law for some engineering classes, environmental law/issues for environmental sciences, etc)
>The subject matter is meme tier and won't likely get you a job or MSc/PhD research position
> Professor is babying the class (let's review the previous lecture for the first 15 minutes of class, etc).

Is physics racist because the usual positive y axis is up and negative is down? It's a fucking convention, people decided to call North up because they had to pick one of the two. North could have just as easily been "down".

>take circuits 2 class
>professor starts teaching
>teaches about how to teach
>last 5 minutes are spent teaching actual circuits material
I regret showing up to lecture every day and failing anyways.

East was at the top of European maps for much of early history.

There you go it's completely arbitrary. I'd assume that once east/west were explored more they shifted it because a rectangle wider than it is tall seems more appealing than a portrait position.

switching to geology, i didn't even pick CS because I thought it would make me $$$, I picked it because I didn't know what else to do

>psychology class for fun
>2nd week the teacher presents freud as a fiending crack addict
lowest grade i've ever gotten in any class ever

>Have a male professor doing a lecture on menstrual biology, differential diagnosis and conditions involving menstruation
>mention menstruation for 5 minutes
>the next 55 minutes is spent telling male students never to be alone with a female patient

Next lecture from a different professor
>microboiology
>7 minutes of House clips scattered in the lecture

Next lecture
>9 million medical conditions in 1 hour and by the way did I mention these 50 possible differential diagnoses?

house is good tho

I won't forget this one
>lecturer plays loud horn sound in the middle of the lecture to make sure that we are still awake

This is what scares me about going into higher classes. Should I just spend my time learning the higher subjects on my own time using books maybe hiring a tutor here or there for any uber complex shit? I want to learn a lot of shit in my life so I need minimize wasted time

This is my current workflow.

This holiday in between shitposting on Veeky Forums and playing pokemon on /vp/ I watched ALL the lectures from the unsecured online database and made notes. Combined with some unsecured internet notes I found online, I watched the lectures at 1.3x to 1.6x speed and made notes as I did it and I now have a complete set of notes, screenshotting as I go if there's a particular diagram.

Now I go to class and watch the lecture recordings and add things if I missed them. Every lecture so far has been the same as the one I watched in the holidays. I do the prescribed readings (because I wasn't able to get my hands on those in the holidays) and add those notes to my database. If I get confused or find out that someone knows something I didn't I look up that part on the internet and add it to my notes.

Then I do the formative online quizzes they have and add stuff that I didn't understand from that to my notes.

Then I eventually make flashcards on Anki out of the notes and learn it. For anatomy or for image based subjects like histology I try to make flashcards rather than notes period.

For stats and shit in the lower levels I wrote the important formulas in a notebook. My mother who taught maths never made any notes for maths or physics since they're all geniuses who can have everything in their head.

lmao
my professor is lit i've been on Veeky Forums this whole physics III class

I hope to advance quickly by studying hard before reaching any classes. Once I start on Uni I don't plan to fool around and honestly due to my ambitions vidya might be permanently dead for the sake of knowledge and mankind. Could I use these techniques whilst studying nonstop after classes to zoom past courses? Relatively.. I don't plan to ever stop learning, until I die. Breaks have no purpose in my brain but waste of potential. Killed TV and vidya a year ago. Not really that tempted to return to old habits when that's time I can spend improving and catching up to the greatest. Maybe, ideally, pushing beyond. I need to continue to train my mental mathematics

The problem is burnout.

Yeah. Maybe some vidya wouldn't be bad to offset that. But like technical vidya like puzzle games and maybe fighting for strategic thinking. At the same time I can use mathematical burnout moments to study and train musical skills and vice versa. I'm really on a note to constantly improve myself and never stop. I'm training myself to use my time as efficiently as possible and spend less time online too. Although I'm studying C++ so I still have to stay connected at some level. There's too much work to be done in this world, With the knowledge already available to us, to waste growth potential. We can do so much more than we are. We just gotta use our time wisely. 120 years is more than enough for us to be doing some crazy ass cool and productive shit. I plan/hope to use my time

This. Don't focus all your time on learning math. It's good you cut down on video games and TV, but instead of completely getting rid of your hobbies replace them with exercise and reading literature. If you work to keep your mind and body as sharp as possible, your passion for math will take you the rest of the way there.

the projection is a logscale inflation for how relevant a continent is in culture, science, economy and general human value.

Agreed. Right now I'm reading a variety of subjects from presidents (Jefferson and Hamilton) to financial moguls (Buffet) and mental giants like Mahatmi Ghandi. Saw a book on Nostradamus that I really want to read once I get through my backlist a bit more as well as 4 hefty volumes of world history from ancient times (I believe it starts at 4000-3000BC) through modern history. Knowledge is seriously the coolest and most valuable asset we can have. I hope to never stop my momentum

Mercator projection preserves direction at the expense of area. Fuck off with your PC shit.