What's the difference between listening to/attending a lecture and reading straight from the book yourself?

What's the difference between listening to/attending a lecture and reading straight from the book yourself?

You can't ask the book questions and get a response.

What about using the internet for questions?

Then you have to wait, instead of having someone whose job is to answer them for you. I mean, look at OP. It took 22 minutes to get a reply.

And you can spend that time until someone answers to explore the question a bit more on your own.

Even so if you ask your prof, you'd have to wait hours until you meet them/they reply to your email.

Nothing, actually good book is better than 99% of lecturers.

The difference is you actually do it. You take everything in for 4 months, and then when a test comes near you go though everything and you thought about everything before to some extent and it makes sense.

You can ask in class/right after class, you know. fyi they are just people and you're in 10 meter distance from them when they explain.

Professors aren't hired on their ability to teach.

If the lecture is well organized then you get a logical derivation of the knowledge which you may otherwise miss in a book. It's actually more important to learn how to organize the knowledge and how everything ties together, than to simply learn the knowledge which you will forget in a few days anyways.

Depends on the book. It can be more conversational, tending towards popsci, but not actually reaching that stage. Like Gordon's books on structures and materials.

You don't get to smell that one fat kid in the class.

Hopefully, insight.

If there is literally no difference why universities still exist?

The book is better and doesn't get jaded, just outdated.

generally, information presented in lecture is reflective of what will be on the exam

The book is better.

here is the ranking list.

1. book
2. online video lecture.
3. one on one lecture.
3. a huge ball of shit spread all over your eye balls and forced to keep them open
4. university lecture

Some people are visual learners, some prefer audio.
Some people learn better by shadowing others or when they try to teach others.
Some people like to masturbate to pictures of females on the internet.

I can actually manage to stay awake when reading a book.

Different learning styles (or no learning ability).
I prefer to read many books on the same subject, so I can confirm all the mistakes/stupid in any one book; and go at my own speed.
I can learn far faster from books without having to endure and suffer some guy without communication skill babbling annoyingly away.

>What's the difference
That guy explaining stuff

You need that paper

To talk to girls and your friends

Where do you think you are?

You don't have to pay the (((university))) thousands of $

Universities are businesses, not institutions of education.

Because no one wants to spend their precious time answering questions some retard asks on the internet after he decides to not do what he's supposed to and learn at the lecture.
Oh..wait...

The lecture wastes more of your time.

best option: watch the recorded lectures while going through the book the course is based on .

>there's more then 1-2 girls with anything resembling social skills in the lecture
you're studying a shit subject

Same reason consultants still exist.

They have information, you need it, and you want a paper trail proving your acquisition of that information.

A lecture is less exhausting and more engaging and therefore easier to stay focused on. It can also be a quicker to learn than straight-up reading from the book, but it requires not only that you are not incompetent, but that the person giving the lecture is also not incompetent. You cut the factors you are not directly in control but do more work if you learn by yourself. Personally, I go to lectures, but if it's a bad one I just dip out as soon as I can and read up on it alone.

Where the lecture and book coincide is where you will find the exam questions.