youtube.com/watch?v=dlJtO7EbK-U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Best case - evidence of biological life on an Earth-like planet

Worst case - The rocket explodes.

old galaxies that redshifted into infrared

I am so afraid of tihs.

Based Webb is based.

Yeah, but that's always the worst case.

Nothing more depressing for a researcher working on something like this than seeing the last decade of your life blow up on launch because some little turd working for Boeing or ATK forgot to tighten a bolt or lube an o-ring.

I'm more worried about something small going wrong.
This isn't LEO like the Hubble where you can just take a shuttle.
L2 is hard to get in and out of.

Actual worst case: Trump cancels it.

Taking a shuttle would not be an option in LEO either.

He won't do that, he'll just rename it the Trump Space Telescope.

We don't know because it hasn't discovered it yet

If James Webb does go kaboom, that one's on Arianespace.

Not much it only has a five year long life span.

Lifespans mean nothing.

Hubble had a few repair missions to keep it going. Including fixing a catastrophic lense fuck up and fixing ruined solar panels.

If Webb isnt perfect from the get go, there is no going out to fix it

But there's also no concern for orbital day/night cycles, which gives James Webb more ability for continuous observation.

Ariane 5 is plenty reliable.

The problem is THIS youtube.com/watch?v=dlJtO7EbK-U

a multitude of moving parts. And they all have to move exactly in sequence.

How will that Make American space projects Great Again?

should be fine
only real problem is that you can't exactly test this shit on earth.

correct grammar

>oct 2018 launch
>No science until at least 6months after launch
Fucking dropped, I want science NOW

The combo TESS + JWST will be amazing in regard to exoplanets

However I'm really really scared that it will explode or something will go wrong when it will have already reached L2...I mean "JWST" is too similar to "JUST" for something bad not to happen.

its such a massive fucking boondoggle
why are they wasting billions on useless "science" garbage that could easily wait 50 years

Nope, the worst case is something like what happened to Hubble. A rocket exploding on lift off is one thing, hard to really blame on anybody, after all it's literally sitting on top of several tonnes of highly explosive fuel. Telescope not working because it's been poorly engineered? We'll there's plenty of blame for everyone there, and it could just be enough to impact future funding.

It really must feel horrible to be an engineer and fuck this up.

I agree, those money would be better spent in keeping you in /pol/

The moment we will find the first real earth-like planet with water and oxygen will change humanity forever. This planet, or maybe even those planets, will suddently become the center of our consciousness. Humanity will then truly fund space travel, because humanity will want to conquer these lands. War and conflict will be burried, because suddenly "we" as Earthlings are going to enter a new layer of consciousness.

The earlier this day comes, the better for humanity.

Moon telescope when?

The point is you spend the tens of billions spent on this, on producing a good reusable rocket
Then when the time comes you can build large deep space telescopes for minimal cost

>What James Webb will discover?
OP=fgt

Yeah fuck drumpf and his racist cisshitlords
#imwithher
#otherkinrevolution
#gayscience
#worldaidsday

NO!

You don't need a good reusable rocket for this. And to really kickstart space age you would need to invest several trillions. These kind of investments will happen as soon as we find a real habitable planet, or even make contact with extraterrestials.

Are you retarded? Do you think they're spending 8 billions for the fucking launch?

my point is that if launch mass wasn't a big issue, and doing everything in one launch wasn't an issue, and if they could send people out to fix it

Then everything would cost massively less

>some little turd
It's OK to say the E-word

Point still stands its retarded to do it now. The EELT cost 1 billion to build and will argueably be better than the JWT. With 8 billion you could have build the conceptual "Overwhelmingly large telescope".

And the EELT, unlike the JWT, will definetely happen. The JWT might explode before reaching space and there thousands of things that can go wrong afterwards still.

So yeah, poor decision IMO.

>tfw too afraid of failing to be that engineer

>Best case

The best case is discovering something that allows science to be catapulted light years into the future. Like maybe galactic internet connection with access to the galactic library. Merely finding evidence of life isn't that great really.

Don't make me get wet, user

E-word?

Engineer

The E-ELT will be better than JWST in some aspects. E-ELT will be more sensitive at shorter wavelengths, have higher resolution images, have access to the visible and will be able to do more things like high resolution spectroscopy, corongraphy for imaging super-earths. JWST will be more sensitive at longer wavelengths and in imaging, it will have a wider diffraction limited field, it can to the mid infrared well and it will do extremely high stability photometry and astrometry.

Also note the budget is NASA, they don't fund large ground based astronomy. If the budget didn't go to JWST it couldn't be spent on something like E-ELT.

Engineers don't touch satellites though, that's what a technician does.
Do you even know what an engineer is?