Which American city is the most Veeky Forums?

Which American city is the most Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_in_the_United_States#Central_Connecticut_State_University
usatoday.com/story/life/books/2015/04/10/americas-most-literate-cities-minneapolis/25531751/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thermopolis, Wyoming

I hear LA is full of fake fucks with façades of depth.

Cliff thread?

good example.
>mfw reading Bataille

LA is full of rich kids and Jewish rich kids and spics. If you want to see real pretentiousness you have to go somewhere with old money. LA is entirely nigger rich white trash, even the Jews.

In addition to more "obvious" contenders like New York and Washington DC, which have long histories of publishing, Seattle and Minneapolis/St. Paul have consistently been near or at the top of listings of America's most literate (which does amount to the same thing as "literary" in the present usage) cities. A survey that was carried out for a few years looked at basic stats and found the two metros to be objectively quite bookish:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_in_the_United_States#Central_Connecticut_State_University

This trend continues in today's listicles, etc. Apparently the study is still on-going:

usatoday.com/story/life/books/2015/04/10/americas-most-literate-cities-minneapolis/25531751/

I can think of about fifty different bookstores and several library locations that I've been inside in and round MPLS/St. Paul. They are often specialized in a certain area, and include the following:

-two dozen fungible B&N locations (and formerly some Borders)

the UofM bookstore (basically a B&N on steroids, that is, having a much superior selection but also much of the usual plebshit, in addition to a dedicated student textbook side. You can get Springer books in the sciences here as well). I got a Houellebecq book once, and one or two other things.

One of any of a dozen smaller college libraries, which will have a little of everything (though it tends to be older)

-an indie store in central St. Paul, having older fine editions. Guy is kinda cranky (his location is surrounded by shitty architecture that he hates).

-a much more chic-chic store in downtown MPLS, having MANY MORE fine editions. Guy's gotta have maybe, /maybe/ eight figures of inventory in that place, shit's crazy. He moved across downtown some years ago. About a year ago I went in and he allowed me to be in a basement area unsupervised, by myself (I bet he had a camera on me but I didn't notice one), where he had old stuff including more science and various biographies. He keeps his top-drawer rare stuff in a special room IIRC. I got a cheap math book once.

-one of the oldest sci-fi only bookstores in the country. I got an anthology containing the original short story for The Thing (the only thing I cared about) here.

-three occult bookstores, I've gotten some Crowley from one.

-a literal communist/far-left bookstore/"meeting place", I got Capital V2 and Grundrisse there.

-

Add to this a bookstore which is specialized in sci-fi/fantasy/nerd shit, with a large chunk of the store given over to the usual comix. In other words, it's a step up from "a comic book store" in that the core of the store's inventory is books proper, and the guy has certain uncommon/old/desirable inventory. Last I checked he has a dusty old copy of Psychopathy Sexualis in the adult section, which looked tempting. Lots of books about making-of/behind the scenes in sci-fi/horror movies.

Purchases have included those really big Giger books (four of them), and a film theory book about Videodrome. He used to be at a different location years ago, and back then I got myself some smut from the adult section.

I have seen pic related on the walls in more than one of the above locations.

Uncle Hugo's?

That is the old-school sci-fi bookstore, yes. Inventory is quite messy, they apparently have a newsletter as well.

Just inside it's weird old smelly white guys. Just outside it's Niggertown USA, kek

Sounds awesome.

My city (Savannah) is pretty weak for bookstores, although the city itself aesthetically Veeky Forums.

Since the advent of Amazon, and my shift of interest from fiction to academic-leaning non-fiction, I'm not nearly as obsessed with bookstores as I once was. But I'd still like to be near better ones.

My small cabin in the woods I sometimes go to is more Veeky Forums than any shitty, noisy city.

>DC
>Veeky Forums

When will this meme end?

seattle

>mention DC
>but not Boston

Berlin

My ex gf read this before to justify sewing her wild oats in her HS years, i read the intro, and its quite pretentious imho for just saying "go and be a slut, everyone falls anyway" What do you think of it??

san francisco

Does anyone find that the main Powell's clerk guy in Hyde Park is a bit of a dick?

Mexico, obviously

With them poemojis

>Boston

Not Missoula.

Pls send help.

ayyyy another Bataille fan

Lander, WY