ITT we post hardly translatable words from our language

ITT we post hardly translatable words from our language.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JETS-71QowY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

icky

hoff

i dont know what the english translation could be

Bazenpoeperij. (Flemish-)Dutch.

What language? I take it isn't German.

gezellig

Saudade : ^)

oh but it is

i dont think you would translate hoff to hope

meme

Verbrüderung

and what's the meaning of this words?

Quite fucking literally any word?
Culture and language are intertwined, hence no words from, say, german, means the EXACT same thing as the same word in english.

I hate this. Stop it.

/thread

>scheiße doesn't mean shit
please,leave

>Verbrüderung
Brotherhood? Comradeship?

Uitwaaien.

Niet Nederlands.

Chingada

le fado meem

é inevitável no entanto

Table, chair, door, pen... literally most words.

pakeha

This would be my argument except you would need to remove the "un" from the OP

>Noord-Nederlands taalpurisme
Nou breekt m'n klomp!

>Sehnsucht
Tente mais duro.

Everyone saw it coming

dépaysement

Enbrotherening would be better.
Fuck your OED

Gönnen

Бopщ

متشم

vittu

Lagom
Fika

Then again, I hear they're not unique to Swedish. But wth.

Bögigt att ta upp fika.

Fraternisation

2EZ

GEZELLIG

Bre - in serbian on itself it means nothing or if were stretching it, it is close to "damn", doe its never used on itself. Its use is in conversation to put emphasis on something, generally revealing anger or irittation. "put the shorts in the washing machine bre!". Invuse its like "goddamn it" just in one syllable and no taking lords name in vain.

kurwa mać

propah/promaha

MEGSZENTSÉGTELENÍTHETETLENSÉGESKEDÉSEITEKÉRT

K'nukáráká

"Pá", not the shovel, but the linguistic cane portuguese people use in sentences. It means nothing really.

Let me explain this one: it comes close to the word torture, but is not quite like it. It is like a social kind of torture. It often includes unhealthy food too.

お疲れ様です!
(Otsukaresamadesu)

lah, leh, lor

>singlish

hygge

Hueá.

Craic

Is that the sucking noise people in Umeå make, meaning "yes"?

Especially "hart gönnen".

Lotterleben

Well, what do the various internet articles about it fail to explain? Tell me, friend dane.

Tiriti tran tran tran

Madrugar

S'enjailler

korean has a bunch of "particles" which are hard to put into english

for example 는데 can mean (after a sentence/clause) that you are giving more information on something but also, the information has to be kind of contrasting or surprising.

there are 2 different words for "I"

나 and 제 (na/jheh), jheh is a form where you are kind of putting yourself below whoever you are speaking to and being humble, while na is the opposite. there are a lot of feelings associated with the grammars and concepts.

another grammar is "던" which has a ton of meanings. typically you put it into a verb and then it means something like "an action in the past, which you used to do a lot (habitually) but has stopped now, and you are remembering it."

lots of korean things are kind of hard to translate into english or other languages that arent asian languages

there are also two endings yo and seumnida, and the first is polite but the second is very polit, but sometimes you can use the very polite and formal one in casual situations to be nice, its weird

also there are a ton of grammar particles, like serioulsy hundreds of them..

Baneposting?

no one cares that you jack off to korean music videos

i abstain from all sexual activity and do not listen to kpop, korean is an objectively interesting language.

false, we have it in polish as well

Selvfedme
Hygge
Halalhippie
Ombudsmand

As it does not mean much in french, translating it by "having fun" would not seem a treason to me.

y-yeah sure
youtube.com/watch?v=JETS-71QowY

"Misgönnen" auch. Jemandem etwas gönnen kann man noch umschreiben, aber sich gönnen oder jemandem etwas misgönnen, das weiss ich nicht wie ausdrücken im Englischen.

You think these 'simple' words do not carry multiple meaning, idiomatic functions, and cultural baggage?
Table means a furniture item, and a grid, it doesn't in many other languages
Door can be used to describe a hinged barrier, yet english speaker have phrases like 'at deaths door' or a 'door mat' (weak person) that, again, cannot be directly translated into other languages

Missgönnen*

What the fuck is wrong with these people

Like 'misgunnen' in Dutch?

Ombudsman is in Afrikaans as well, means 'public mediator/ advocate'

What is 'Halalhippie'? Sounds like 60's Islam

Having fun is a euphemism relatively to the meaning s'enjailler conveys.

Also, 'having fun' is not a single word, so you're kind of proving my point here

thatsthepoint.jgeg

Backpfeifengesicht

Brazileiro detetado
also
'Sehnsucht' is conceptually in it's meaning not the same thing as 'saudade' as in the felling being expressed is more of a anxious longing for something not necessarily experienced and the latter a feeling of melancholic yearning for the return of something or someone now missing.
Cara

inchoate

How will Japan recover from this?

Scheinheilig

''inat'' too

'Craic' means 'fun' in Irish; it's the extra *English* meaning it has gained that's untranslatable in other languages.

This is such a fucking pedantic argument. In a strictly literal context, what the word "door" is referring to is easily represented in every fucking modern language, and the literal meaning of the sentence "He opened the door" can be carried over 1:1 from one language to another without encountering any cultural barriers. You can't paint every word as having equal difficulty being translated in every context. Yes, in the case of a metaphorical idiom like "at death's door," the word "door" isn't defined by its literal referent and thus that particular phrase may be more difficult to translate, but that's a specialized context totally distinct from what "door" plainly and normally refers to, for which it is fucking easy to find a corresponding word in pretty much any other language. Such a rigidly schismatic view of language might seem sound in purely rational theory, but it just isn't applicable in the real world.

>i read saussure and now i annoy people

Have the same in Norwegian. "Skinnhellig".

Basically means hypocrite though.

No. It's a chilean slang. The thing is that the meaning of "hueá" depends heavily on the context.

Craic doesn't mean fun directly, but the spirit or geist of fun.

I'm surprised this thread isn't filled with more moonspeak.

"mana", a Māori word (found in lots of other Polynesian culures also).

The translation is roughly "prestige" or "authority", but its kind of like an accumulation of those things through action, circumstance, and character; reasons why you should respect someone's opinion and authority.

>Expecting any Western posters on Veeky Forums to be competent enough in Japanese to know the ins-and-outs of accurately translating it into English
>Expecting native Japanese posters on Veeky Forums to do anything whatsoever besides shitpost about Koreans on /int/

This.
Any "serious" conversation that a jap would like to have they're going to have it in their own IB.

oh shit isn't that that Portuguese thing
it's just like longing kinda like nostalgia but not really or whatever

nigger

Gemütlichkeit

>that that

Saudade

interesting example because it's more internet slang than an actual word in the dictionary but

套路 (tao lu)

direct translation is 'established series of skills and tricks in wushu‘ but in modern usage has come to mean certain devious tricks and skills that let you get ahead socially, often through means of deception and manipulation.

e.g.
>I was 套路ing this girl at the bar last night
>Bob’s 套路 is very strong
>Don't you try and 套路 me

This. Too bad 90% of people on Veeky Forums are postmodrnist edgelords without a hint of intellectual depth or honesty.

Any balkan bros in here?

Kunami, katuki, funini, meréketé

Kosovars use ''bre'' in albanian too, it's weird bre.

jewing

>I was jewing this girl at the bar last night
>Bob’s jew game is very strong
>Don't you try and jew me

Cafuné
Desenrascar
Badalos

Paizinho?

In portuguese we have "judiar" which comes, obviously, from the word jew (judeu) and can be translated as injuring someone or being mean.
And we also call people who don't like to borrow things or help others "semitico" (semitic) , even though most people don't even know that it is a very offensive thing to call.