Degree path

So if I want to do R&D stuff for DARPA, what degrees should I be looking to acquire?

My friend suggested to get my undergrad in math, then go for a master's or PhD in electrical or aerospace. Is this a good idea?
I've been looking at the job openings for Lockheed, Boeing, and other DARPA approved firms, and they all want people with advanced degrees in EE, CE, AE, or physics. That being said, why would anyone get a bs in engineering, why not do ur undergrad in math, then do ur grad stuff for engineering or whatever else?
I was thinking of going: bs math -> ms EE -> PhD some combo of ME and EE or AE and EE so I can help design and build prototypes.

Other urls found in this thread:

spacex.com/careers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A BS in math isn't too time consuming. You should have time for another major or at least a minor. Try to pick something that will make you stand out when applying for grad school. By this, I mean something that really broadens your horizons and not just physics or CS. Either a different science or a totally unrelated field.

This is how you become or at least appear to be an interesting person. Math+CS was fun and brings a bit more respect, but I wish I had looked a bit further in undergrad.

>t. CSE PhD Student

I've considered doing a double major in EE and math. Is that good idea?

>That being said, why would anyone get a bs in engineering

Their coursework involves a lot of numerical solutions. It's not that you won't have the capacity to do their work, but you'll be behind on core pieces taught in their programs. You're not going to learn circuits or electromagnetism in your math degree, apart from perhaps an introductory course that barely touches those subjects.

I would suggest you double major if you're planning on going the engineering route, but adamant on math.

>So if I want to do R&D stuff for DARPA

That's all about creating something that interests them. You have to give them a proposal and perhaps a proof of concept, then they'll fund your project if it has applications.

I would rather stick with just EE. It has a lot of math already and is much more useful.

So what should I do my graduate studies in?

Do computer science. Because the IT industry is brain draining everyone who can pick up a keyboard there is a huge need for skilled programmers in defense applications.

Absolutely not. For one, I can't stand CS classes, the students, or the departments. Also, every cs major I know ends up doing either IT or dev stuff and both are absolute cancer. Both think they are God's gift to creation and are all closet geniuses, while they fail to understand that they will never do anything worthwhile because they never mastered a language. That's the fuckn problem with cs, student take 1 or 2 semesters of a language, and then go put it on their resume making it appear as if they actually have a very good, we'll rounded understanding of the language, when in fact they don't.

You sound very unemployed.

>language
programming is much more than knowing some language

So don't be a faggot, actually learn something, and then build missile guidance systems.

I'm just telling you, from personal experience, the easiest way to get a job doing defense work

>trust me, i read a few pop-sci blogs so i know what im talking about

What school would admit a math undergrad into an engineering postgrad program? How would that work?

Why not do CE or EE with emphasis on C?
> tbqh I've always wanted to make a homemade guided rocket. I just don't have the skill set yet.

It happens. One professor in my department likes to recruit math and physics undergrads. They spend the first two years taking undergrad engineering courses .

You do know I'm still going to school, and don't even have a bs, which is why I made this thread, right? I'm obviously not employed in any kind of scientific field.

Because EEs are less well paid and less in demand than computer programmers. Even the EE stuff is reaching a level of complexity that they should be using the tools from programming to manage it, but the discipline is just behind the times.

The trend in electronics is to make things more and more digital and push the work that would have previously been done in analog into the some sort of processing system(often an FPGA or ASIC). But that means programmers are more critical to the project than EE's. (Since digital design is pretty easy)

>. They spend the first two years taking undergrad engineering courses
I see, so that's how it would work.

Lmao. You are only "considering" pursuing a degree so how do you know you hate computer science classes? Programming 101 isn't representative of the broader curriculum, faggot. Anyway, doing an undergrad in math and then going for engineering is dumb. One - if you don't get into grad school, you have a useless degree and you'll end up teaching high school algebra, and two - you can learn the most important maths as an engineering major, but not vice-versa. Let's be frank, anyway, though - you're never ever going to be leading a research lab on a DARPA project, and there's a significant chance you'll not even finish undergrad, let alone a PHD. Go take a statistics course and then come back and let me know just how low that chance is, faggot ass bitch.

> since digital design is easy
So is programing. All I care about is being able to get a degree that's hands on and not one that I can go to library and read about in my spare time.
Why not get a degree in CE?

> t. Offended CS majors
> "I'm going to assume a whole bunch if things about you that will support my preposterous prediction that you will fail in college and in life because I don't know how to properly deal with the fact that someone might hold a strong opinion and a set of bad experience that contradict my own strong opinions and my own set of good experiences involving the subject at hand" ~ the post

Nice try - I'm an EE.

K, so tell me more about EE and stop shit posting.
Is EE harder than ME? What about CompE?
Can I specialize in my undergrad to do more integration stuff?

Also, what's with the negative attitude bud? Some of us still have big dreams and aspirations and are willing to do anything to achieve them. Not all of us have given up and chosen the "adult life/muh reality" where u work a 9 - 5 and live for the weekend justify your life choices and the fact that you've given up on your dreams via your yearly income and paycheck.

Not him, but I am also in engineering.
E E is incredibly diverse so it really depends on what you want to specialize on:
> Signals
>Power generation
>Computer engineering
This is probably the worst option for space industry, unless you work for a contractor.
>Electromagnetic waves and communications
>Software engineering
They are very separated, however, in my experience, the best S E have a BSc in E E.

writinh hello world is easy enough, but the top 10% of programmers have something like 10X the productivity of the remaining 90%

being one of those programmers is tough

Absolutely this.

Just go on the careers and take a look at a damn list. spacex.com/careers
What's the first thing you see? 'Ight, comp s :^)