Probably the worst book I've ever read about Islam

Probably the worst book I've ever read about Islam.

>Paints Arabs as being these oppressed people surrounded by evil Jews, Arab pagans, and Christians.
>16 pages in and the author claims men ruined Islam, and hopes women can reform it.
>Doesn't bring up that Aisha was a child when Muhammad married her.
>Muhammad was "inspired" one night to start drafting up the blueprint to Islam, rather than taking bits and pieces from the Abrahamic religions.
>Claims Islam is a successful religion, and Christianity fails because Jesus Christ died on the cross while Muhammad died of an illness.
>Claims Islam is the best religion because it requires full sacrifice of the self to Allah, and all genders are equal.

And then this shit happens.

>Justifies the Islamic conquest of Persia and North Africa as that the Muslims just wanted money and they ended up having too much fun with it.
>Totally not a violent outbreak that forced thousands to convert or else risk the sword.

To think I wasted $15.95 on this, expecting a non-biased book on Islam.

Other urls found in this thread:

apholt.com/2016/06/01/crusade-historians-and-karen-armstrong/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

thats what you get mate, islam is a very boaring religion anyway, try hinduism,they dont use fear and hate to propagate there agenda and are much more fun they actualy have art and music that sounds nice and isnt just hate against every one else,

Sounds like you have some biases of your own mate

It was written by a female white member of the Royal Society of Literature. She received the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire for her writing. Who are you to, then, to trash her fiction with baseless claims of bias?

>female
Dropped

I had to read her biography of Muhammed in undergrad. Even my proff called her an asinine apologist.

so she's a stooge for British globalist elites? Wow, you've made it abundantly clear just how full of shit she is.

>reading books by women on a philosophical topic

That's your problem, mate. Women can write fiction but never, ever read """""non-fiction""""" written by a woman. The narrative of oppressor and oppressed is the only thing they know.

apholt.com/2016/06/01/crusade-historians-and-karen-armstrong/

I read this last year. Not really a comprehensive history of Islam itself, but a history of Islam's interaction with the West from the sixteenth century onward. It wasn't the most riveting book I've ever read, considering that it's actually a collection of the author's previous writings rather than a cohesive book. I think it's worth reading if you want to know more shit about Islam and why it is the way it is today.

>TL;DR: Islam has huge fucking issues with modernity

>that last green text line
I honestly doubt you care about what happened to those poor zoroastrians

>but le catholique church was evil!!
Quid pro quo, my heathens

>Written by Karen Armstrong
>Karen Armstrong
>Karen

What were you thinking OP

Read "Heretic" by Ayaan al Hisri.

You'll feel better

>>Muhammad was "inspired" one night to start drafting up the blueprint to Islam, rather than taking bits and pieces from the Abrahamic religions
He did both.
>Justifies the Islamic conquest of Persia and North Africa as that the Muslims just wanted money and they ended up having too much fun with it
>Totally not a violent outbreak that forced thousands to convert or else risk the sword
Again it was both. Muslims actually didn't even want to convert many conquered peoples because it meant they wouldn't be giving as much in taxes and that they would have equal privileges in society. I'll stress many before this flips your lid, not all, not claiming they weren't converting people by the sword in masses.

Rest sounds like sweaty balls and she sounds rather biased. Really I would not read any comprehensive book about Islam, it's a subject that fires up all kinds of bias and debate so it's better to read on specific aspects of Islam or it's history. General histories and comprehensive overviews is where all the shitters go to write.

I gotta agree with this.

I'm taking a class on the middle east. The only female author we read is just like the OP describes. Her book is her trying to convince herself that she likes Muslims.

>Justifies the Islamic conquest of Persia and North Africa as that the Muslims just wanted money and they ended up having too much fun with it.
>Totally not a violent outbreak that forced thousands to convert or else risk the sword.

This doesn't needs justifying or condemning. People conquer vast quantities of land all the time and force the people they conquer to take up their religion all the time. Also, save for a few radical caliphs, the Muslims let the other monotheistic religions practice their religion as long as they payed jizya taxes.

the fact that a bunch of desert tribes were able to conquer so much of the former roman empire is pretty damn impressive.

>the fact that a bunch of desert tribes were able to conquer so much of the former roman empire is pretty damn impressive.
It was in the wake of the Byzantine–Sasanian wars. Impressive, yeah, but hardly a freak.

>Claims Islam is a successful religion, and Christianity fails because Jesus Christ died on the cross while Muhammad died of an illness.
Pretty sure most Muslims believe that a look-alike died on the cross

"And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah ." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain." - 4:157

Because apparently nobody noticed that the most famous person in Israel was replaced with some random dude

Really? Not related to Islam but Addiction by Design by Natasha Dow Schull blows most non-fiction out of the water. Absolutely brilliant, well-organized and agonizingly researched work. None of that pop philosophy or creative non-fiction crap that plagues works like this; it read like a dissertation.

I hope a girl lets you touch her pussy so you'll stop pouting about how dumb they are.

On topic: OP earlier this year I felt so open-minded and accepting towards Islam, so I bought a plane ticket to Morocco and spent 3 weeks there. The average person is so fundamentally rotten, you will walk 3 miles and not see a woman, just men sitting outside cafes in droves leering at western girls and bee-lining non-Arabs to scam. Every cab was a fight and an argument because they'd try to change the prices multiple times from the initial price to twice as much in the middle of the ride. I'm in Paris rn and I'm watching it happen here.

>t. pajeet mcpajeet

Tariq Ramadan. If you want a book to make you feel slightly to moderatly (depending where you live) uneasy.

Religiosity is for RWAs!!!!

>claims Islam is the best religion

you know Karen Armstrong is literally a Christian nun don't you

Which others have you read?

She was a Christian nun.

I am reading picture related. You will have to try very hard to deduce from this book that she isn't biased towards Islam. It's still a good book, but reader needs to be very careful with how she portrays Islam in general.