How does Veeky Forums get past HR and into a job?

How does Veeky Forums get past HR and into a job?
I don't even think HR knows what they are looking for. One time I applied for a data analysis internship and a few days later they closed the opening and reposted the opening this time with a literal duplicate of my cover letter explaining all the shit I could do for them and would I would use. I got an interview, but the HR person was asking me irrelevant questions about how I would perform the job. She would ask me things like
"Why do you want to work here?"
"Why should we hire you?"
I'm not a communications expert.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

those are trick questions. it doesnt matter what you answer as long as you have that 'winning attitude' while answering. think of those subjects as small talk. also moar of here plox.

They want to know what mindset you are in.

What I was told is that they basically want to make sure you'll fit into the work environment they provide. So the best bet is to be actually try to be sincere, because if you're not you might not integrate well in the position and team of the job.

But of course the main part is just a test to see how much you'll be willing to sacrifice in exchange for them providing you with a job.

It's become a world of bullshit. They don't care what you know, how good of a worker you are, etc. They just want to know you can sell yourself. In most cases they want to see if you'd sell your own dignity or ethics in the interest of bettering the company. You just need to learn bullshitting skills.

swallow the shit-pill

it is a tough one

if you're not being interviewed by professionals you already fucked up\that workplace is wierd\turboshit.

If the questions seem pro forma and the interviewers don't know anything then they already have a specific person or outsourcer in mind and are doing this to not get sued or investigated. They probably want to outsource to a cheap foreign labor company and want to get around the h1b restrictions. "Hey, look, we interviewed everyone in the area and the skill set we need just isn't possessed by Muricans."

I've always been dedicated to what I do but I am absolutely horrible at social interactions and I have no inclination to improve.

Most likely I will never be employed and I'm just gonna be a leech or off myself. I don't know who this benefits.

>I don't even think HR knows what they are looking for.
Most people are stupid but you walked in assuming because they were hired and have an hr title that they're intelligent, competent.
Remember, most people go home to live in sick environments of codependency or severe emotional issues (cutting, drugging, binge eating, and far worse). At work, people put on fake faces, fake airs, fake strength.
I was programming at a bank corporate office and noted that most guys in suits don't wash their hands. What an revelation it was to see them as they are on the inside, separate from their pretty clothes on the outside.

This is so true. Makes you want to be self employed even if you take a massive pay cut.

It benefits nobody, but you have no purpose in life so you should kill yourself

I think it is pretty typical to use cheaper HR people to weed out the shit candidates; to make sure that the person can put together sentences; to make sure that the candidate is still interested

I just finished finding a new job and both times someone who didn't really know the technical material talked to me by phone before I got into the in-person interview with the engineers.

>"Why do you want to work here?"
>"Why should we hire you?"
if you can't answer these questions you don't deserve the job

>You're the one looking for a employee
>You've seen my qualifications
>Why should I choose to work here, rather than at an other business that would gladly hire me?

>don't wash their hands

you say that like there's something wrong with it

like others have said, it's basically just bullshit, and you need to figure out what they want to hear and then repeat it back to them in a way that sounds sincere. if you find that difficult, then pick up one of the hundreds of books written about this. also, remember that interviews are also partly about "you interviewing the company", trite as that may sound. if you find the interview process frustrating and illogical, imagine what it would be like to work at that company every day.

HR doesn't do merit hires, and obviously they don't do connection hires.

HR is there to create a certain legally-significant appearance of a fair hiring process. And they do some unconnected diversity hires, mostly into useless jobs like HR. If you get an interview through HR, there's a 95+% chance that the job is actually filled, but they can't admit the way they filled it. That's why the interviews are so bizarre: they have no reason to give a shit, they're just keeping up appearances. Unfortunately, part of keeping up appearances is giving you the impression that they've fairly judged you and found you wanting.

If you're white and male, and you're going through HR, you're already fucked. If people want you, they'll recruit or headhunt you, otherwise, you need to know someone who knows you'd be good on the team. This is why you network, why you be good to your co-workers, and also why you take a relevant job even if you hate the company and what it does. Friends lead to jobs, and jobs lead to jobs.

>>"Why do you want to work here?"
>>"Why should we hire you?"
>if you can't answer these questions you don't deserve the job
Jerky questions. An interviewer who asks you these things either doesn't know what he's doing and is flailing or already knows he won't hire you and is twisting the knife.

Here's what honest answers look like:
"Because I need a paycheck / experience / a stepping stone to a better job."
"Because hopefully nobody better applied."

Here's what deserved answers look like:
"What? You pay people so little and treat them so badly that you're immediately suspicious of anyone who comes asking for a job?"
"Because obviously you're looking for the best bullshitter, and boy have I got a load to feed you!"

those questions exist to weed out aspies like you who can't handle basic interactions with other humans

No they're not. They're the kind of questions that are the reason that on average, interviews generate poorer choices than purely random selection of applicants.

Almost nobody is competent at interviewing applicants, and asking overly-general, awkward questions is a demonstration of that incompetence.

One of the worst things is to test for confidence and readiness to self-promote. That gets you dangerous idiots and con-artist/backstabber types. Good employees who get along with others well and diligently apply themselves to the task at hand are generally humble and not eager to talk about themselves.

I just thought of a winning answer for this and fuck it I'll share it.

"I hope to increase my experience in said field and if I can make a living while advancing your company's goals all the more power to us both. "

Correct me if in wrong but I'm pretty sure I just aced the interview with simple blunt honesty

>Good employees who get along with others well and diligently apply themselves to the task at hand are generally humble and not eager to talk about themselves.
Based on what? I have had the opposite experience. When people are unsure of themselves it is for a reason. The person who is actually qualified will be confident in himself

they're just so alpha that hygiene is beneath them

it's OK, but you need to tell a story about why this particular job is a natural next step from your previous relevant experience. needless to say, this will depend heavily on the specifics of the job and the nature of your previous experience. at some point, you have to provide some actual evidence for why you would be the right man for the job.

confidence and expertise having an inverse correlation is pretty well documented

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

That's not what Dunning-Kruger states at all.

Skilled individuals do not misjudge their ability to perform a task. What they misjudge is how difficult the task actually is.

A concert pianist's distortion isn't "I don't think I can play Fur Elise", it's "Fur Elise is a really easy piece".

>Their research also suggests corollaries: high-ability individuals may underestimate their relative competence

You're splitting hairs. By trying to establish and then dispute an arbitrary reference point. The research uses the term "relative competence" for a reason.

What kind of jobs? Entry-level, field related?

If you have an impressive resume/CV then linkedin might work for you. Job scouts will approach you instead of vice versa. This won't work for entry level jobs, scouts won't approach unless they need ypur expertise.

If you don't want to go that route and you did good work for a professor, they often have an extensive network. A good word from them might allow you to bypass hurdles put there by inept HR.

HR usually go through a curriculum in school. Just look for things they're taught regarding Q&A. Then use a method that usually passes these sessions.

At high enough positions, HR is usually a formality after you've met with the big dogs. At lower positions, you need to game the system, because you're one of many to be culled.

> swallow the shit-pill

If you want to grovel for your job that's fine, but if they don't see enough value in me that they need to ask why they should hire me, they probably shouldn't. I have options, and they can hire someone who wouldn't be overqualified.

>You're splitting hairs.
It's not hairsplitting at all. You claimed that confidence and expertise are inversely related.

This is absolutely false, because there's no reason to expect skilled people to have lower confidence; in fact it should be and usually is reasonably high.
The only thing you can draw from dunning-kruger is that unskilled people are likely to be overconfident.

>A concert pianist's distortion isn't "I don't think I can play Fur Elise", it's "Fur Elise is a really easy piece".
It's the same thing. "I can only do easy things well. Even then I still notice that I screw up here and there."

If you ask them in general terms about their confidence, the expert is more likely to seem riddled with self-doubt than the novice, because you don't get to be an expert without focusing on the flaws in your work.

this guy explained it well

and what he says is entirely consistent with the research on the subject

Keeping with the theme of this thread-
How can one guarantee a good job in engineering after getting a degree? What are some good student practises?

this

>Why do you want to work here?

"I've heard great things about this place from current/former employees. There's tremendous room for growth & I see a bright future for me here yada yada yada

>Why should we hire you?

"The position I am applying for perfectly suits my skill set. If employed here I am confident I can make positive contributions & help this company grow & scale new heights."

Nigga those are basic Qs. You should be able to answer that. Don't have to be an expert. SHEEEEIT.

That's the problem.
You don't have to know anything to answer these types of questions.

HR are just incompetent sluts who are going to hire the most charismatic Chad.

This.

And in the rare case you do have a legitimate interview with HR, its basically just a screen to make sure you aren't retarded/schizophrenic

It's a shitty question and that's the whole point of the interview. You're probably applying for a position where you need to interact with other people, so they need to vet your social skills to make sure you're not a sperg or have too many nuts loose.

I get past HR because I've learned that socializing is important and it doesn't matter how good I am at what I do, if I can't talk to people about the science then there's really no point.

Additionally being down to earth and social can get you really fucking far in life (because humans are social inherently) and if you're likeable it opens so many doors without the need for experience or expertise.

>I'm not a communications expert.
You're not expected to be you should be able to answer a simple question and not see it as an "expert" level because there's a social aspect involved.

getting past HR is easy and so is communication. You'd know this if you were actually smart and not a brainlet.

>irrelevant questions
>"Why do you want to work here?"
>"Why should we hire you?"
>irrelevant questions

Goddamn you're definitely on the spectrum.

Yes, study say over 95% HR are women and give insane preference to handsome and charismatic men.

they're trying to see how far you'll stick your tongue up their big fat anuses

You also have to get along with your coworkers. It's their job to see if you fit with the company culture or you're attractive enough to hire you.

> HR brainlet: "so.... you're saying you lack experience? are you gonna ditch me after I invest in your training to advance some other company's goals? "

>You don't have to know anything to answer these types of questions

you have to know what kind of projects the company is working on and how your skillset can integrate with that. those questions are proof that you've at least done a google search on the company before you came in for the interview.

I like how an airplane company opened a new multi-million dollar lab for new lightweight material developmental.

Be me having worked on related new lightweight material innovation.
Talk with HR, "we are looking for aerospace engineerings not material engineers. Why would we want you?" "you just opened a new complex to engineering new lightweight cost saving materials, as a material engineer who does that I would be great there."

".... our company is not interested in new lightweight cost saving materials ..." (I kid you not, that is practically word for word what the airplane HR person said)

I wanted to stop them right there and ask "Do you know how airplanes work?"

just a guess, but the name of the facility may have been a misnomer or cover for another clandestine purpose

also, you're making a lot of assumptions. In particular that they don't already have enough material engineers and that they would let a new hire touch whatever they're working on.

Good question actually.

You open a new research building that big, when there are only a hand full of schools globally that teach this very specific subject.

These are very well founded assumptions, back by data. When there are only a few thousand people who know how to do X, it is very hard to hide these things from people who work on X everyday.

On a side note I do undercover clandestine projects all the time. You can change the name, hide the price and shell game it all you want. But when "TOTALLY NOT DARPA" wants secondary confirmation lab testing on sample X they can't hid the physical properties of it, specifically when they pay you to find them. I love how white they turn when I tell them details about their projects. I mean why else would you build part X if you didn't plan to use it for project Y, it is kind of obvious given how insanely specialized the work is.

still, they good be transferring internally, sufficiently staffed already, or just uninterested in working with a megalomaniac who thinks he is god's gift to their field

Were you diverse enough user?

I give on this job, I'm too stupid. I don't get this at all.

Who is this bitch

4321 retard

why

Wrong. It's 3421

Ooh, I think i get it, it's not the individual numbers that change the position, it's the whole row of numbers. Thanks!

Well, like it or not, you have to actually deal with people at your place of work. If you can't be nice, there are tons of other people just as qualified, if not more, than you that they will hire.
It's work dummy, nothing complex.

Make sure to show you share some of the company's passion. Look up their mission statement etc on their website and relate.

This. If you are actually interested then you'll bullshit with specific examples instead of general ideals.

99% of interview success relies upon winning over the person interviewing you.

You could be the most unqualified idiot but as long as you get on with the interviewer you have a good chance of being recommended.

It's bullshit but you have to play the game, and the game is being sociable, friendly, warm and funny. Smile lots and seem energetic and enthusiastic about the job.

Look up "competency based" questions and practice answering them beforehand because all companies ask them regardless of the field.

Is there any chance that there are moar pics of this photo shooting?

I like how the top tier tech companies ask actual technical questions and give programming problems. Seems like a much fairer and more reliable way of identifying competence.

In fairness, those interviews are really tough though.

That's to weed out the bullshiters. You will likely have to do a second interview that will test your social skills such as: do you have more than your bar mitzvah/funeral suit you wore last time (or khakis and button up), can you explain something to a complete moron without sperging out (in my field it's "without using the formal definition, what is a pvalue" or explain multiple regression/ANOVA), do other people think you might be a pervert/rapist that will rape them if they have to stay late. is your hygiene still good, etc.

Working isn't all about being educated in the field. You have to know how to work in groups, correspond to colleagues and superiors, bring new ideas if asked, and have an amable attitude.

This is a major problem is STEM fields. Many people lack intrapersonal skills.

Wtf you dulmb brainlets it's obviously 3241.

My interactions with HR have been incredibly minimal. Most my interview time, in person or over the phone has been with the engineers/physicists I'd be working with/for.

Literally just don't be a fucking sperg, and be able to talk to people. Make a joke, but don't talk about how much you hate jews or anything.

If you don't know why you would want to work somewhere, or have a reasonable response for why you would make a good employee, why the fuck would you expect someone to hire you?

You don't need to be a communications expert to be able to communicate ideas clearly.

I've literally never had this happen.

I've had phone interviews with engineers and physicists, the people I'd be working directly with and under.

I've had in person interviews in the same vain. The time spent on the phone or in person with anyone from HR is fucking minuscule in my experience. Most of my interactions with HR was them scheduling my interview and talking about benefits/pay schedule and shit.

>Here's what honest answers look like:
>>>"Why do you want to work here?"
>"Because I need a paycheck / experience / a stepping stone to a better job."
>>>"Why should we hire you?"
>"Because hopefully nobody better applied."
sounds like youre applying to some shit jobs. I like my job, and I wouldve loved all the jobs I interviewed for.

B-bump

For the love of Veeky Forums, MOAR PLOX